We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris question  (Read 1406 times)

brianw

Iris question
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:09:05 PM »
I have in flower now, or in flower over the next 2 weeks or so, single plants of Iris Sari from Tom Mitchel seed, and Iris reichenbachii from AGS seed, both of these actual plants for the first time. I have never taken much notice of fertility of Iris, except pods en masse in the garden. Are these likely to self set seed of should I consider attempting a cross. It seems possible that none of these will be at their best at the same time so may need to save pollen. Both were sown in 2014.
Advice please.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
Re: Iris question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response, which many no longer be timely. Insect pollination is very unlikely for the I. sari, more possible for I. reichenbachii, but still not probable. Many irises are self-sterile, or nearly so, requiring another clone of the same species for pollination. You may cross these two, but wide crosses such as this are difficult, resulting in few seeds or none at all. Any seedlings from crossing sari and reichenbachii would themselves be infertile.
Tom Waters
Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises
Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA

USDA zone 6

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal