We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris unguicularis cretensis not flowering - and never has  (Read 1578 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Iris unguicularis cretensis not flowering - and never has
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:19:36 AM »
A few years ago I bought Iris unguicularis cretensis. It has never flowered. The advise was full sun, good drainage and south facing.

Its flowering period is approaching. Why has it never flowered?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

PDJ

Re: Iris unguicularis cretensis not flowering - and never has
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:31:05 AM »
I have a wild collected cretensis that took 4-years to flower.  Since then I found Wisley's fertiliser mix of dolomitic limestone, sulphate of ammonia and superpotash has improved the flowering and general condition.  Divisions of the same plant usually flower the following year using this mix.
Paul

West Midlands, England, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Iris unguicularis cretensis not flowering - and never has
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »
I'd go with everything PDJ says Mark and hope for the best. I'll do likewise as mine flowers very sparsley, some years not at all. I've had it maybe 15 years. I think it's not hot enough here, so probably not with you either. Under glass might be better.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal