We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2010  (Read 37899 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 08:13:34 AM »
Here are a few shots of my 'pumila pan'.  I received both plants from Joseph Mayr, better known for his amazing oncocyclus culture in Bavaria.  As these are never truly deciduous, I take it they come from the German-Alps area.

Wish I had my better camera, but it is out-of-house!
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 09:53:18 AM »
Flowering here today:

a plant I bought as Iris bucharica (I thought it was supposed to be white/yellow and not blue/yellow?)
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 11:36:16 AM »
Wim,

You are right- Iris bucharica should be white and yellow.
Your plant seems to be a hybrid of Iris bucharica...maybe Iris graeberiana x Iris bucharica, like is shown here:
http://www.junos.ca/HTML%20Pages/graebhyb-1.html
Rehovot, Israel

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »
Beautiful plants everybody!
I have some seedlings of these species... Can't wait to see them in flower  ;)
Rehovot, Israel

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 11:52:09 PM »
Flowering here today:

a plant I bought as Iris bucharica (I thought it was supposed to be white/yellow and not blue/yellow?)

But you are surely not complaining Wim. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 09:16:59 AM »
@ Miriam: thanks for the determination: some other people thought it was Iris x graeberiana 'Yellow Fall'. I'm not sure but it's nice.

@  Lesley: Not complaining  ;) just want to know what I'm growing... although even without a name it's very nice... (a rose by any other name...)
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Regelian

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 10:41:20 PM »
Wim,

here is what i have as I. graeberiana Yellow Falls.  It certainly looks like your plant.  Of course, as I have this from Nijssen, I have no idea if the variety is correct.  I have quite a few mislabled plants from them.

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

PeterT

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 11:54:39 PM »
Wim,

here is what i have as I. graeberiana Yellow Falls.  It certainly looks like your plant.  Of course, as I have this from Nijssen, I have no idea if the variety is correct.  I have quite a few mislabled plants from them.

Jamie
dosn't look quite right to me, is it still a small bulb?
Here is what I have as I autosyndetica
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

PeterT

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 11:56:44 PM »
Iris autosyndetic

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 12:08:58 AM »
Where on earth did that name come from Peter? ???

Of course I. graeberiana 'Yellow Falls' is, I believe, graeberiana x bucharica so anyone repeating the cross would likely get a selection of variations. Should the original clone be called just 'Yellow Fall?'

They all look very nice to me.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

PeterT

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 07:28:12 AM »
hello Lesley, I just grow them - I (usually) don't invent the names.
Iris autosyndetica = Iris pumila x hoogiana, simonet 1938 ( before white's aril hybreds) has a reputation for being variable in coulor which fits given its parents, but posiably variable in coulor in a single clone though I have yet to observe this :P

Regelian

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »
Wim,

Jamie
dosn't look quite right to me, is it still a small bulb?
Here is what I have as I autosyndetica

Peter,
yes, it is still a small bulb.  First year blooming.  Lesley made an interesting point, although i suspect all the Dutch industry produced bulbs are the same clone.  It could be there is another clone in North America, or the conditions are simply different.  As I mentioned, I am really unsure as to the veracity of the name, just that mine does look like what marches about here as 'Yellow Falls'.

I autosyndetica!  Is this a remake of the cross?  Fascinating to see one.  Have you worked with it in hybridizing?

Lesley, this was an experimental cross from Simonet to see how two tetraploids would breed.  As I. pumila has 2n=4x=32 chromosomes (8-8-8-8) and I. hoogiana has 2n=4x=44 chr. (11-11-11-11), this hybrid an amphidiploid (chromosomes 8-8-11-11) and thus fertile.  The term used back then for such a plant was an autosyndetic genome, thus the name.  Obviously, Simonet didn't think much about fanciful names for his hybrids, but he was a scientist!

Yes, more than you wanted to know :o ::) ;D
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »
Iris autosyndetica = Iris pumila x hoogiana, simonet 1938 ( before white's aril hybreds) has a reputation for being variable in coulor which fits given its parents, but posiably variable in coulor in a single clone though I have yet to observe this :P

Peter,
your Iris cross resembles in habitus my I. pumila posted in Bearded Iris http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=371.645, page 44, reply 656).
It gives me an idea what hybrid origin it could be. thanks.
Best wishes
Armin

PeterT

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 06:42:43 PM »
I think this will be an origional clone Jaimie.
On the whole, while I grow  hybreds I like, I am only interested in creating pure species seed. I value autosindetica as a plant also as a piece of horticultural history and as an example of an intersectional cross, If you would like to hybridise with it you are welcome to a fan. It might be an interesting direction as it is not what I believe is currently being worked on though I may be wrong.

Hristo

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »
Arilbreds are performing well in the open garden, 2 years ago a couple of tatty rhizome left overs were planted out, the best sections coddled in a frame, the left overs are out-performing the frame grown plants by orders of magnitude!!!
Iris Vera-Olivia
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal