We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Orthrosanthus laxus  (Read 4117 times)

John85

Orthrosanthus laxus
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »
Yes I know it is not a Iris only a Iridaceae but it is not a proper bulb neither so where to put it?

How much degrees of frost can it take? Plant World says it is hardy in Devon but others rate it Z10.
Is there somebody who grows it?What do you think?Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:11:17 AM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Orthrosanthus laxus
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »
This question about where in the Forum  to query plants with rhizomes is a tricky one ;)  Here is fine, I think.
For those who don't know this plant it's from South Western Australia.... see theis Pacific Bulb Society page to learn more about it and its relatives:

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Orthrosanthus

There's not much there though, to help with John's question of hardiness........
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:37:02 AM »
Hi John,
I can tell you that it survives -7oC here in Central Victoria.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

John85

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 07:14:48 AM »
THank you Fermi
That is about what I have here.Do you have any information for:habitat,type of soil...

Banksia_Man

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 07:37:47 AM »
HI John,

As with many S. hemisphere plants, the secret, here in Europe, is to keep it dry or rather well drained in winter.

Here, O. Laxus grows happily in the greenhouse and suffers no ills down to -5.5°C.

I have tried it outside at the foot of a wall, but it looks like the heavy snow (50cm x3) or cold (-11°C) of last two winters have got the better of it.

Without the unusually heavy snow, it might have survived these temperatures, so I will try again, but I have found that lower than -6°C you're pushing your luck for most mainland Australian plants ...

Banksia Man

Rhône Valley

PeterT

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:49:18 PM »
I grow what I think may be Orthrosanthus laxus against the house, It just survived January 2010 at -15 c or so, but I think December was even colder and has finished it off. The same goes for Aristea ecklonii, both were happy with two of the wettest summers on record here as well as last summer one of the driest, though not hottest, and without additional watering. The same can be said of a couple of Libertias.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:33:39 PM »
Orthrosanthus species grow here in any sunny, well drained "ordinary" soil, nothing special. They don't need winter protection with me, to about -6C on a bad day.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

PeterT

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »
I grow what I think may be Orthrosanthus laxus against the house, It just survived January 2010 at -15 c or so, but I think December was even colder and has finished it off. The same goes for Aristea ecklonii, both were happy with two of the wettest summers on record here as well as last summer one of the driest, though not hottest, and without additional watering. The same can be said of a couple of Libertias.
Both plants have survived the winter
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal