We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Blog of the construction of a new tufa mound in the rock garden  (Read 22647 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Blog of the construction of a new tufa mound in the rock garden
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »

David, your Dutch is getting better every day  ;D ;D

And there was me thinking I'd written it in Flemish. Still, you know how good we "Islanders" are at languages ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 12:57:42 PM »
Great tufa bed Luc, and thanks for the detailed instruction.  Now, if only we had one of those quarries here in Northumberland....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »
It is very enjoyable watching this tufa mound growing! In Duncan Lowe's book on 'Raised Beds, Troughs and Tufa' there is a super drawing of a large free standing tufa block in his inimitable style. I've never seen anything like it in the flesh except in Alan Furness's amazing garden on the way home from the Edinburgh 2001 Conference. Silly to ask on the SRGC Forum but is anyone down in the South-East thinking of getting a truckload of tufa? If we can find a good source I would certainly be interested.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 01:32:10 PM »
Huge numbers of "Southerners" tuned into this forum, Tim.... wouldn't be a bit surprised if you manage to drum up a Tufa cartel/syndicate!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
Loads of potential buyers but it seems to be as rare as rocking horse manure!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »

A small update on how a few plants have developped in and between the tufa blocks over the last few weeks.
This, at the very moment where the tufa mound is experiencing just about its first rain shower worth mentioning since I built it.
I've been watering it just about every single day...  :( ... but not with the beer shown on the previous picture...  ;)

I'm quite happy with how Eritrichium nanum has established itself in its vertical hole since it was planted.
Picture 1 was taken in early April, just after planting and Picture 2 on June 6th.
New growth is clearly visible - I keep my fingers crossed...  ::)

3 and 4) Edraianthus serbicus, was one of the first plants to show a flower.

5) Silene hookeri ssp bollanderi is planted in a crevice between the blocks and also shows flowers

6) Same with Erigeron aureus "The Giant" that was flowering when first planted in early April, it's still going strong and quite a lot of new buds show that it's not finished yet !  :D

More in a few weeks.

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 04:41:20 PM »
Luc

Just found this thread and really enjoyed seeing the process from the beginning.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »
It is very enjoyable watching this tufa mound growing! In Duncan Lowe's book on 'Raised Beds, Troughs and Tufa' there is a super drawing of a large free standing tufa block in his inimitable style. I've never seen anything like it in the flesh except in Alan Furness's amazing garden on the way home from the Edinburgh 2001 Conference. Silly to ask on the SRGC Forum but is anyone down in the South-East thinking of getting a truckload of tufa? If we can find a good source I would certainly be interested.
Count me in Tim!  At least its not the heaviest rock so onward distribution is less likely to ruin the cars suspension! 
(PS I'm coming to talk in Kent later this year.)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 09:35:22 PM »
I'm quite happy with how Eritrichium nanum has established itself in its vertical hole since it was planted.
Picture 1 was taken in early April, just after planting and Picture 2 on June 6th.
New growth is clearly visible - I keep my fingers crossed...  ::)
That looks good so far ... never thought I'd do more than dream of growing E. nanum but I'll be following the progress of yours closely.  Our growing conditions cannot be so very different.  The tufa mound looks great, but glad I don't have the responsibility for watering it .... a few drops of rain here now but too little :(

astragalus

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »
Luc, I can understand why you're pleased with the Eritrichium nanum.  Marvelous plant, incredibly furry.  All the plants are looking great.  Please keep photographing.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 10:07:33 PM »
Thanks Anne, Tony and Arthur !
Yes it's been hell watering it over the last two months, but I can say that so far I've lost just two plants that didn't "take".  One was an Asperula, the second one was Kelseya uniflora, which was a very tiny, young seedling, so that might have been the reason as well.  I lost some more plants to slugs and/or birds though ; Campanula's mainly.  I replaced them a couple of days ago and we'll see how things work out now.  On the whole I find I've been quite lucky so far (touching wood).

As to the Eritrichium nanum... well... that's kind of a test.  I've never grown it before, just read how ridiculously difficult it is..  ;D ;) and if other people can kill it, why couldn't I ??  ;D ;D  I thought.
So far, so good - will have to see how I get it through the heat of Summer, if we get any.
I'll shade it somewhat if necessary.  As I wrote, I planted it in a hole in the vertical surface of a stone, even slightly protected by a small overhang...
Getting it through the Winter will be the following challenge then I guess...  Still, that's what keeps us going isn't it ??
I'll keep you posted !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2011, 11:48:51 PM »
It looks great Luc, so much happier in pic 2 than in pic 1 at planting time, with all its fluff sorted and lying nicely. I'm looking forward to the first flowers. ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:01:00 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2011, 04:38:31 PM »
You bet I'm eagerly awaiting wether I will be able to flower it next Spring Lesley !!!  :D ;)

In the mean time, here some pictures of early successes and some failures (very few, I'm happy to say !  :D)

1) Saxifraga "Rozny" is struggling, but hanging on...  :-\
2) Centaurea pestalozza is (already) getting to big for its allocated space - I will have to find it another spot
3) Asperula daphneola didn't make it !  :'(

All Dianthus are well under way !  :D
They look wonderful even when they're not flowering, don't they ?? 4) D. arpadianus
5) D. "La Bourboule"
6) D. simulans
7) D. webbiana

8 ) Primula x "Marjorie Wooster"
and
9) Townsendia hookeri
also both looking as if they like they're new surroundings !

10) Star of the show right now : Silene hookeri bolanderi that has been flowering ever more profusely for the last 6 weeks !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2011, 04:47:33 PM »
Excellent Luc.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2011, 05:12:41 PM »
Looking good Luc.

Just back from a break in Malta where I saw mounds of tufa which looked as thoughit was going to be used for infill on new road making schemes. Doubt if Air Malta would have been pleased if I'd turned up at the airport with a couple of suitcases full!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal