We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seedling ID  (Read 685 times)

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Seedling ID
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:30:46 AM »
These came up in a pot seeded with Campanula.  They don't resemble anything else I'm growing this year.  (I'd like to think they look a bit Saponaria-ish (??) but I'm probably kidding myself.)  Does anyone recognize them?  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

279574-0  279576-1
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Seedling ID
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:17:06 AM »
I don't think Saponaria Lori. There's something familiar about them though, the way the centre leaves are folded together. Maybe a Lychnis of some kind?

Are you interested in Saponaria? I could send a couple to you, this year's seed of lutea and pumilio, which is apparently correctly pulvinaris, though pulvinaris as I used to have it, is quite different. Maybe caespitosa too.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:18:50 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Re: Seedling ID
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:51:46 AM »
They do look irritatingly familiar!  I'll try googling Lychnis and see what happens.

Lesley, I would be delighted to try some Saponaria.  Thank you for your kind offer!  Is there anything I could offer you in return?
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal