We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Plant identification please  (Read 7325 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Plant identification please
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 07:02:23 PM »
Lampwick  - That Romanzoffia would qualify as one cute little baby. See Grown From Seed section.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »
Talking about plants you used to grow. Is anyone still growing viola zoysii? You don't see it around much yet is a lovely little yellow viola that creeps around.
Susan

I tried it many years ago in the mid 1970s, Jack Drake’s Inshriach Nursery used to offer it from time-to-time. It didn’t stay with me for very long, but I wouldn’t mind trying it again; but you don’t see it around much nowadays.  :'(

Talking of Violas, I have V. jooii, (again from Jack Drake) It grows well enough with me, I’ve had it for some years now, but I rarely see a flower! I have seen it on the show bench with an abundance of flowers – what am I doing wrong?  >:(
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 08:46:01 PM »
Lampwick  - That Romanzoffia would qualify as one cute little baby. See Grown From Seed section.

johnw

Some years ago I moved a small seedling of R. unalaschkensis to the corner of a sunny trough to fill a space left by a departed Perezia recurvata. I knew it was a completely wrong location to plant the shade loving Romanzoffia, and of course, it didn’t survive there for long. But it came up a few years later in a 25 year old patch of Sempervivum arachnoideum; in the opposite corner of the trough; and is still there!

It’s not anywhere near as robust and healthy as the plants in the shade, but it survives and even puts out a flower or two each year.

…Here it is. A piece just right of centre; and a smaller piece top left. There are five little clumps in total peeping through the dense hard carpet of the houseleek.  :o
 8)
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 01:32:55 AM »
Very very fine specimens of the Asperulas. Mine are Soooo scruffy in comparison, though I do find them long-lived.

"to fill a space left by a departed Perezia recurvata." Yours too? :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 06:46:51 AM »
[quote author=Lampwick link=topic=1761.msg44373#msg44373
Talking of Violas, I have V. jooii, (again from Jack Drake) It grows well enough with me, I’ve had it for some years now, but I rarely see a flower! I have seen it on the show bench with an abundance of flowers – what am I doing wrong?  >:(
[/quote]

Hi Lampwick,
I believe you didn't do something wrong. The absence of flowers is a typical feature of the violets from the Adnatae section (most of them from east Asian origin). Nevertheless there is a good seedset via cleistogamic (not open) flowers, they spread around like weeds.
Sometimes there may be a surprise. So I had a wonderful display of flowers with Viola seouliensis (only one year of 5). This year I found some good flowering Viola somchetica. It seems climatic conditions during a preceding winter are an importand factor.

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 08:34:38 PM »
Hello everybody,
I have bought this plants as Saxifraga caesia. I am in 100% sure, that it is wrongly named. I have no idea what species it could be. Is anybody able to identify this species? I will try to send more photos after it flower.
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

Arykana

• cake maker supreme
  • International flower plunderer person
    • Fairy Garden
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 08:53:15 AM »
somebody can help me what is this plants are?

Arykana

• cake maker supreme
  • International flower plunderer person
    • Fairy Garden
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
ok, I found out dill and basil

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal