We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hexham AGS/SRGC Show- 2011  (Read 13187 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Hexham Show
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 02:23:06 PM »
we sold loads of raffle tickets to people who lusted after the blue eggs
Now that sounds intriguing.... "blue eggs"... real eggs ( Duck eggs)  painted eggs.... chocolate eggs  ??????...... tell me more, please!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Darren

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 06:00:56 PM »
We had a lovely day at Hexham, as always. My two 'firsts' were just a bonus! We seemed to spend most of the day gossiping. Many thanks to Peter and his crew for putting on such a brilliantly organised show again.

The plants that stood out for me this time were Anne Wright's numerous Narcissi including some fantastic hybrids (fernandesii x triandrus and obesus x triandrus I was really taken with). Chris showed a picture above of Alan Furness's stunning potful of seed-raised Fritillaria gibbosa.

On the bench next to my own Frit davidii was another specimen belonging to Wilma and Jim Wright and it was obviously a different clone so some cross-pollination was negotiated. Fingers crossed eh? Ironically we each preferred the clone belonging to the other so I dare say some rice will be swapped at some stage too.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

angie

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »
Chris thanks for posting the pictures. Looks as if was a great show. This is when you wish you had went, seeing all those lovely flowers.

Darren well done with your two firsts  ;D

Maggi that's great that Maureen made it, hopefully I will hear all about it when she gets back home.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »
thanks for the id Darren.  That pot full was certainly a show stopper for me.  Must take years of patience and understanding to get that result.  Sure did enjoy the day.  Thanks especially from me to John who took time to show me how he creates those wonderful mini gardens, sorry I didn't get that far to take pics but it just gets better every year, and to David Boyd who took time to talk me through how to care for my growing collection of hepaticas (he slipped me a bit of one of his wonderful Millstone Merlin's on my way out, how lucky am I?).  Its all over far too soon but the weather has been great so I'm back out in the garden today, weeding and splitting clumps of this and that, and putting all my pots back where they belong.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

veteran vet

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 09:39:19 PM »
For once I had a camera at the show but did not have time to take a single photograph...the huge entry meant judging finished late...just in time for the official public entry...did the sales tables no harm as there were plenty people through the door all looking for plants..then lunch in a pub in Hexham, then a judges forum took up most of the afternoon...suddenly the day was over, just managed to get a look around. However Susan Tindall had her new camera to play with so I 'borrowed' some of her pics
Androsace muscoidea...exhibitor Trevor Harding...I do not have too many exhibitor names but will put in when I do
Paraquilegia grandiflora...Ian Kidman....had to have been very close to the Farrer
Primula allionii 'Raymond Wooster'

veteran vet

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
I'm getting a bit 'annoyed' to put it mildly re difficulty with my postings, all of which should be in keeping with size etc but which site says I can not post last try
 Cyril Lafong P A Broadwell Milkmaid
P allionii bench...Ian Leslie in red jacket talking to group chairman Peter Hood, further down, Ray Drew new AGS Director of Shows
Bench view...Glasford Sprunt, Ian Kidman, Brian Burrow, Geoff Mawson to name some

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 10:05:04 PM »
Sorry to hear you are having trouble George, the server must be very busy and that is what is holding up your posts. Bear with it, we are enjoying the photos.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

veteran vet

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 10:07:14 PM »
The bench of the 'Large Open'
Show sec Peter Maguire trying to be difficult
Fritillaria caucasica
Tropaeolum austropurpureum

veteran vet

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »
P. a. 'Saracen'
Its Lewisia time again, here is L tweedyii
Androsace lehmanianna
Narcissus alpestris...shown by Alan Furness

veteran vet

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »
There are a few more to do yet but thats all for the moment...as I said earlier these pictures were taken by Susan Tindall...hope her ferry was on time and the sailing was calm...she should just be getting home now...and she was taking time out from her sales table to use her new camera for the first time (bought on the advice of Peter Maguire I may say)...its always interesting to see how others view a show and what catches their eye or is of interest. I do hope there will be more pictures from other forumists as it was a really good alpine display...sorry I let the side down, day just zapped by

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 10:39:43 PM »
Stil no word on the blue eggs?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 10:45:05 PM »
Stil no word on the blue eggs? 

I think they were duck eggs - Chris will confirm.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »
No, they are chicken eggs for sure.  Sometimes I go feed them if Pearl and Mike go away.  Can't remember the name of the breed but they are chickens for sure.  They are the same as any other eggs to eat, but the shells are a pale blue colour.  And they had been laid 24 hours before the show too, as Pearl had given me the last of her eggs the day before.  Well done chickens.....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 11:45:25 PM »
Araucana chickens lay blue eggs
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 09:52:02 AM »
I lost my araucanas to a fox but here are some pics of the eggs, a chick and an Araucana at the National Federation show.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal