We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus bulbocodium in habitat (Cuenca/Spain)  (Read 4041 times)

Emilio Monedero

• Sempervivum: species and cultivars
Narcissus bulbocodium in habitat (Cuenca/Spain)
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:30:44 PM »
Hello

I discovered a few population of Narcissus bulbocodium in my town last week. Please, if anyone knows the subespecie...I need some information. I think it is a common N. bulbocodium, but...

Well, here the pics:
Sempervivum: species and cultivars
http://sempervivum-jovibarbas.blogspot.com/

Emilio Monedero

Re: Narcissus bulbocodium in habitat (Cuenca/Spain)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:36:22 PM »
And this has very pale flower...perhaps is an old flower???

Emilio Monedero

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:43:39 PM »
Perhaps Narcissus bulbocodium var. ectandrum???

Emilio Monedero

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:54:52 PM »
Hello again

In these pics you can see the different aspect in the same population of bulbocodium. One is very pale yellow and the sepals are more wide and shorts. The another specimen is yellow and with long and narrow sepals. I think it is a normal variability ¿¿??

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:18:20 PM »
LOvely pictures of lovely flowers Khalid but as to correct names ????????? Perhaps Rafa could help.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:35:28 PM »
Emilio, this is that I wrongly used to call Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. nivalis or just Narcissus nivalis Graells. After know that Linneo described Narcissus bulbocodium L. in Peñalara (Guadarrama Mt.) I think var. nivalis or subsp. nivalis is no longer valid.

In Guadarrama/Gredos Mt there are only two bulbocodiums: N. bulbocodium L. and N. graellsii Graells (I personally prefer this name) there is another one that we discovered (not published yet), which is a little N. obesus, with noodles leaves, I sent you some seeds some time ago.

The species you show receive three names depending the authors: N. subnivalis / N. bulbocodium subsp. ectandrus or more recently N. bulbocodium L. (the same species from Guadarrama etc.) I `never seen it in the wil and I can't say nothing, but I seems and adaptation of N. bulbocodium L. limestone soil.

Emilio Monedero

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »
Emilio, this is that I wrongly used to call Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. nivalis or just Narcissus nivalis Graells. After know that Linneo described Narcissus bulbocodium L. in Peñalara (Guadarrama Mt.) I think var. nivalis or subsp. nivalis is no longer valid.

In Guadarrama/Gredos Mt there are only two bulbocodiums: N. bulbocodium L. and N. graellsii Graells (I personally prefer this name) there is another one that we discovered (not published yet), which is a little N. obesus, with noodles leaves, I sent you some seeds some time ago.

The species you show receive three names depending the authors: N. subnivalis / N. bulbocodium subsp. ectandrus or more recently N. bulbocodium L. (the same species from Guadarrama etc.) I `never seen it in the wil and I can't say nothing, but I seems and adaptation of N. bulbocodium L. limestone soil.

OK, thanks Rafa. Is very important this information.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »
No matter how common they may be, it's always good to see such plants growing where nature intended them to be, rather than in a garden or in a pot.

By the way, how does "Khalid" become "Emilio?" :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Emilio Monedero

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 11:08:14 PM »
No matter how common they may be, it's always good to see such plants growing where nature intended them to be, rather than in a garden or in a pot.

By the way, how does "Khalid" become "Emilio?" :)

Hi Lesley

I have two names. My Muslim name and my Spanish name because I'm both  8). I am glad for your comments.
Always is a pleasure to see plants in habitat  ;)

Emilio Monedero

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 08:27:02 PM »
Hello again

Oooops! See the habitat of Narcissus bulbocodium now  :-X

It is incredible. This week I was travel to my town and when I go to the same habitat I see this. It's horrible. Total destruction!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »
How very sad. I was just looking at your earlier photos this afternoon. This is a great disappointment... but symptomatic of so much habitat destruction in every country.  >:( :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »
Khalid - this looks terrible. What has happened?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 08:56:23 PM »
Emilio,

was this the work of a farmer or wild boars?

In some areas we have a local plague with cockchafer grubs - the wild boars like the insects, come in the night and trenching the meadows of the farmers and land owners.
Result looks like your images. :'(
The farmer and their lobbyists get annoyed of the loss of their hay harvest and fear re-cultivation costs and requested the local government to spray insecticides against the cockchafer grub pest via use of helicopers... :(
The bill shall be paided by the forest and hunter tentants because they don't shoot enough wild boars... ???
Best wishes
Armin

Emilio Monedero

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
Emilio,

was this the work of a farmer or wild boars?

In some areas we have a local plague with cockchafer grubs - the wild boars like the insects, come in the night and trenching the meadows of the farmers and land owners.
Result looks like your images. :'(
The farmer and their lobbyists get annoyed of the loss of their hay harvest and fear re-cultivation costs and requested the local government to spray insecticides against the cockchafer grub pest via use of helicopers... :(
The bill shall be paided by the forest and hunter tentants because they don't shoot enough wild boars... ???

Hello

Thanks to all. I think this is very geometric for animals, and affected only and jut this area and no more. But I don't know...

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 10:33:36 PM »
Emilio has estado en el gimnasio! :)

There is a big problem in Spain: European Union pay grants for farmers not to plough and not to grow anything. This way there are many terrains in the nature, that has recovered its original aparience after many years untouched,  plenty of orchids and other important bulbous plants that are being ploughed just for obtain these grants.... abolutely ridiculous agricultural policies.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:14:49 PM by Rafa »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal