We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hymenocallis 2011  (Read 5341 times)

jshields

• Shields Gardens
Re: Hymenocallis 2011
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 03:21:25 PM »
I have just been given some "green" hymenocallis bulbils(???).
Would someone please tell me what I do with them now?
Thanks Folks

Hi folks,

They are probably actually seeds.  I've never seen a true Hymenocallis bulbil.  Plant them on the surface of the potting mix and keep them in the light (they're green) and watered.   Next I might ask, what species did they come from? Local in Kentucky?  In that case they are occidentalis and won't sprout until late winter or spring.

Let us know what happens.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

PeterT

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »
lucky you, if no one better informed answers, my suggestion would be to get them rooted before winter and keep them frost free
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »
Thanks Jim and Peter. As you probably guessed, I am far from a knowledgeable bulb person and thank goodness for this wonderful forum and its forumists. I shall follow your instructions and hope for the best.
I'm not sure of the species, a local lady just called round this morning and said here are some spider lily bulbs for you, so I am assuming they are Hymenocallis. To be honest, one bulb looks pretty much like another to me. Maybe it's time I started to rest from alpines, cactus and native wildflowers to study the bulbous plants.
Thanks again for all your advice,
Cheers
Alan
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

alpines

• The Alpine Garden
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
I have just been informed that this plant is growing in the woods owned by the lady who gave me the seeds, so in that case I guess it is H.occidentalis. According to USDA, occidentalis is a synonym in KY for H.caroliniana.
Alan & Sherba Grainger
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2011, 09:51:11 PM »
I have just been informed that this plant is growing in the woods owned by the lady who gave me the seeds, so in that case I guess it is H.occidentalis. According to USDA, occidentalis is a synonym in KY for H.caroliniana.

Right, and according to Gerry Smith in Flora of North America, caroliniana is invalid and the name reverts to occidentalis.  Since it is occidentalis, plant the seeds in your garden and let Nature take its course.

By the way, I would kill for some of those seeds!  I never got authentic Kentucky specimens of occidentalis.  I would love to send the lady some bulbs for a few of those seeds.

Jim

I have or had occidentalis from Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Louisiana.  I'm still looking for seeds from Illinois and Kentucky.
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

alpines

• The Alpine Garden
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:44 PM »
This is not my photograph but it IS the particular plant in question.
Don't kill anyone yet Jim. I'll see what I can do for you.
Alan
Alan & Sherba Grainger
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal