We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum 2011  (Read 11169 times)

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
Re: Podophyllum 2011
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 07:54:04 PM »
Can I use Podophyllum difformis pollen for Podophyllum Spotty Dotty flowers ; each one has flowers buds at this time  :D
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 09:43:29 AM »
yes it is worth trying. If one plant several days flowers before the other you can store the pollen in the fridge until the second plant is ready,hopefully they will flower together
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 02:44:33 PM »
A few less golden photos of the 2010 Podophyllum sprouters today for Lesley.

johnw
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:47:22 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

mickeymuc

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »
Dear John,

Would you mind letting me know how you proceeded in growing root cuttings of Podophyllum? Would be great!

Thank you!

Michael
Michael

Dettingen (Erms), southwest Germany
probably zone 7 but warm in summer....

johnw

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 06:47:01 PM »
Michael - We simply repotted old roots with a bit of the eyeless old rhizome attached.  I don't know if the old rhizome is essential or not.   When we move a pleianthum outdoors oftentimes shoots will come the next next year but I'm not certain what's taking place underground.   

There must be a forumist out there who has taken a more reasoned approach to propagating them this way....

johnw

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 06:52:37 PM »
Michael - We simply repotted old roots with a bit of the eyeless old rhizome attached.  I don't know if the old rhizome is essential or not.   When we move a pleianthum outdoors oftentimes shoots will come the next next year but I'm not certain what's taking place underground.   

There must be a forumist out there who has taken a more reasoned approach to propagating them this way....

johnw

Michael one of my podophyllums ran under the lawn and produced a couple of small plants which even survived the mower before being lifted and sited elsewhere
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 09:03:21 PM »
Thank you Tony, and I can say your seedlings are pushing up new leaves  ;)
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Stephen Vella

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 07:04:16 AM »
Tony thats an interesting photo of vegetative propagation, roots deveploping buds and leaves. Like Anemone x hybrida and comfrey do this. Should try pruning the roots off the rhyzome and see if it produces buds??

John I grow H thibetanus as well, from a source in Tasmania, seeds from the U.k and seeds from my own plants and all doing well for 4 yrs in pots and now in the ground this spring...no wilting experianced and flowered too. See how they go next season. Will read the old threads...cheers

Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

mickeymuc

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »
Dear John & Ian,

Thank you!
I think I'll try cutting some of the roots and leave them in the ground to see what happens - at Juergen Peters' nursery at Hamburg I saw a large area where many plants of P. pleianthum or versipelle sprouted. Mr. Peters said they had replanted a large plant and from the roots that remained in the ground masses od new plants grew.
I'm just not sure of it's best cutting roots and leaving them in the ground or cutting and potting them. Think I'll try the first (lazy) way :-).
Michael

Dettingen (Erms), southwest Germany
probably zone 7 but warm in summer....

johnw

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »
johnw

Whoops, I seemed to have missed the photo Tony posted.  Michael, this is exactly how we propagated the pleianthums although Tony was more generous with the piece of old rhizome.

johnw

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 01:21:23 PM »
I have been keeping quiet as the Podophyllums I have grown from seed, and the young seedlings I was given last year, both from kind forumists ;D ;D have been outside in the dreadful (for us) winter we have just had.  I was spending the morning rooting out chickweed and veronica when I noticed Spotty Dotty was through.  I thought I had better bite the bullet and see what had happened to the others and am pleased and delighted to report that they are all pushing through, I therfore pronounce them hardy in the East of England 8) 8)  Thanks John and Ian.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 02:16:08 PM »
I have been keeping quiet as the Podophyllums I have grown from seed, and the young seedlings I was given last year, both from kind forumists ;D ;D have been outside in the dreadful (for us) winter we have just had.  I was spending the morning rooting out chickweed and veronica when I noticed Spotty Dotty was through.  I thought I had better bite the bullet and see what had happened to the others and am pleased and delighted to report that they are all pushing through, I therfore pronounce them hardy in the East of England 8) 8)  Thanks John and Ian.

Brian did you thank me  ???

I would have been delighted to send you some seed but my plants flower but never seem to set seed. Perhaps you meant Tony Willis. I know he spends a lot of time with his paint brush

regards

Ian
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 05:41:55 PM »
Good gracious me, my apologies to Tony - of course I did mean him, I was overcome with the excitement ::)  They were small seedlings and I thought they had gone the way of a lot of things...my callistemon is no more,  I was really pleased to see them.  Sorry about that Tony, a moment of mental aberration - something that seems to be happening more and more :-[

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 11:52:32 AM »
here are some pictures of some of my seedlings which germinated last year.These are the same as the ones I sent to various people.

The first is mairei which are all bright green and the second is delavayi. These are a lovely deep colour which does not show on the photograph and will develop better as they mature. I have followed with two pictures of the parents. The first a plant from China and the second one from my own seed.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »
Lovely markings on that dark delavayi Tony.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal