We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: February Narcissus 2011  (Read 21778 times)

Gerry Webster

February Narcissus 2011
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:51:36 PM »
Narcissus romieuxii

A selection by Fred Hunt. This is very similar to 'Atlas Gold'.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
But taller perhaps? or maybe that's because all my AG are grown outside in the weather. Don't think AG has the green on the back either. The colour of Fred's is very good and rich.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerry Webster

February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:30:56 PM »
But taller perhaps? or maybe that's because all my AG are grown outside in the weather. Don't think AG has the green on the back either. The colour of Fred's is very good and rich.
Shorter as grown by me - outside until flowering. I'll check on the green back tomorrow,  Re your earlier remarks on the scent of AG; Fred's has a faint but detectable scent. I suppose 40 years plus of Gauloises has done nothing for my olfactory organs.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:08:26 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
Now this is one I really like as it's the first Narcissus I've ever grown from seed to flowering. Obtained from SRGC Seed Ex. 2006/7 and came titled Narcissus romieuxii 'Primrose Yellow'. Sown 29 August 2007 and the only one left from 10 seeds sown.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ArnoldT

February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:52:23 PM »
New to these.  Is upward facing unusual.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 04:36:44 PM »
Really beautiful plants, specially to me this "Atlas Gold"
This is N. cantabricus with a new gardener..

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »
Rafa!! You have a puppy..... give us more pictures,  please tell us everything about him/her......  in this thread....http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6476.90

Never mind the flowers.... I need to  meet that puppy!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 04:58:27 PM »
Rafa!! You have a puppy..... give us more pictures,  please tell us everything about him/her......  in this thread....http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6476.90
Seconded - and I'm sure will be carried unanimously. That is one gorgeous puppy!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
Seconded - and I'm sure will be carried unanimously. That is one gorgeous puppy!
Ian has just arrived home to see the puppy..... he declares himself in love..... beautiful puppy, already appreciating the narcissus and wearing a tartan collar.... what a heart stealer.....  :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
I agree with Gail and Maggi, Rafa.  Beautiful puppy.  I don't go all gooey over human babies, but baby animals....... :) :) :)
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
The narcissus are beautiful too - especially the little ones at the front.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
Thank you friends!
I coudn't have give her a different patterned collar beign a pet member of SRGC  :)

Anne the first N. cantabricus pot is the tipical form, or lineaje you can see in central Spain, short "escapo" and very heterogeneus corona form. There are typical forms, almost inverted corona, petunioids, sub petunioids, sub sub petunioids, sub sub sub ..... In adition there are no so brilliant white than populations in Extremadura. I consider Madrid has the purest populations of N. cantabricus, because there are not  much chromosomic introgresion with other bulbocodium than in other places like Extremadura or Ciudad Real.

Gerry Webster

February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 10:48:29 AM »
New to these.  Is upward facing unusual.

Arnold - I am no expert on bulbocodiums but in my (limited) experience the angle of the flower to the stem (scape) is extremely variable. It can range from slightly drooping, via horizontal to upward facing.

If you get seriously obsessed by these fascinating plants may I suggest you try to get hold of Narcissus: A Guide to Wild Daffodils by John Blanchard (Alpine Garden Society, 1990).

ArnoldT

February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 02:51:09 PM »
Gerry:

I have the book.  I had a look and Blanchard does say some of the N. romieuxii have flowers 'ascending' which I interpret as upward facing.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Gerry Webster

February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
Gerry:

I have the book.  I had a look and Blanchard does say some of the N. romieuxii have flowers 'ascending' which I interpret as upward facing.
Arnold - Yes I think so. Either angled upwards or straight up. Some forms of  N. bulbocodium & N. cantabricus are similar.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal