We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: February Narcissus 2011  (Read 21962 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »
There may some faults with the site but each clumps is  different, and perfect. This is wonderful to see. Rafa, Teo,  a thousand thanks!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2011, 09:12:16 PM »
Narcissus obvallaris, from seed
Narcissus mite
Narcissus Douglasbank, trying to escape
Narcissus pseudonarcissus Eugene, from seed

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2011, 09:34:19 PM »
Rafa, they are beautiful indeed. The last clump look like some we grow as N. cantabricus laciniatus.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
Great finding Rafa  :o
Rehovot, Israel

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2011, 10:59:11 PM »
In the first place, there is so much genetical variability (like in most of localities) that you can find all that names, but in my oppinion it is the normal variability of the species. I only support one Narcissus cantabricus in Penínusla Iberica, and probably in North Africa is the same species.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »
Rafa, they are beautiful indeed. The last clump look like some we grow as N. cantabricus laciniatus.
Oh so wonderful Rafa!!!
The name 'laciniatus' is likely invalid.  Mike Salmon distributed this as var laciniatus, I guess one of his collections from years ago.  It does look like the plants Rafa shows.  Perhaps we should simply call it 'laciniate form' to distinguish it from the more usual forms.

Gerry Webster

February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2011, 01:55:09 PM »
Oh so wonderful Rafa!!!
The name 'laciniatus' is likely invalid.  Mike Salmon distributed this as var laciniatus, I guess one of his collections from years ago.  It does look like the plants Rafa shows.  Perhaps we should simply call it 'laciniate form' to distinguish it from the more usual forms.
RBG does not even recognise the name let alone accept it. Tony - your suggestion sounds sensible since the plant seems horticulturally distinct.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »
Rafa they are wonderful and good to see in clumps.I expect you have seen them at Filabres where they all appear to be singles.

Two of mine in flower today
Narcissus bulbocodium
Narcissus hedreanthus
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

ArnoldT

February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »
I've enjoyed the Narcissus show tremendously.

Rafa has me planning a trip to Spain for a bit of Rioja and Narcissus watching.

Question I have is what type of summer conditions do forumists provide for their resting Narcissus.  My greenhouse will probably get up to 100 F during the summer months.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

annew

• Daff as a brush
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2011, 07:32:07 PM »
I have 50% shading on my greenhouses, and the sand plunge dries out completely for most species.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2011, 07:51:35 PM »
From the greenhouse today:-

Narcissus 'Candlepower'. I have only one bulb so it stays in the greenhouse for as long as it takes to bulk up sufficiently to plant out.

Narcissus bulbocodium ssp. bulbocodium var. nivalis

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2011, 07:54:23 PM »
I like your cheeky little nivalis, David.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2011, 08:12:37 PM »
Anne, this is one I got from Brian Duncan,If I have a spare at re-potting I'll send you one. I've made a note.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »
Beautiful display! This little N. bulbocodium is he species that I call N. nivalis Graells. In Flora Iberica you will see it as N. bulbocodium L. but I am not agree, I think it is a separated species from it, like N. graellsii Graells, as well.

Tony you are right, the only different N. cantabricus in Spain grows in Sierra de los Filabres, but I don't know if they have any constant different character (anatomical) in the whole locality to consider it as subsp. from N. cantabricus.

Most of narcissi needs a dry dormancy in summer but in a pot the bulb could be dehydrated, so the better is to put them in the shadow during summer, out of the green house... but here there are many expert growers than me who can explain better how to grow them  ;)

Gerry Webster

February Narcissus 2011
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2011, 09:36:49 PM »
Question I have is what type of summer conditions do forumists provide for their resting Narcissus.  My greenhouse will probably get up to 100 F during the summer months.

I keep NN. asturiensis, cyclamineus & watieri outside, in an open & shaded plunge so they remain slightly damp. Most of the others are kept completely dry & covered in semi-shade in a temperature of about 70-80 F (max). Jonquils seem to benefit from a somewhat higher temperature; they are kept dry in a covered but unshaded S-facing plunge. I think one has to experiment. 
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal