We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2011  (Read 85081 times)

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
Re: Galanthus March 2011
« Reply #465 on: March 31, 2011, 11:59:33 AM »
Do you use Virescens as a parent Martin?

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #466 on: March 31, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »
Do you use Virescens as a parent Martin?

I have crossed plicatus with Virescens, but all I get is small hybrids with no green on the outers.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #467 on: March 31, 2011, 12:41:45 PM »
I will have to back-cross them with Virescens or other virescent or green-tip snowdrops.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #468 on: March 31, 2011, 01:03:20 PM »
I should have mentioned that I have also tried using Virescens as a seed parent but it doesn't set seed for me. Some green-tip and virescent snowdrops are said to be sterile triploids, so that may be the problem.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #469 on: March 31, 2011, 01:25:25 PM »
I've also recently used Green Mile pollen in crosses, but those seedlings are still very small and won't flower for some years yet. I wish I'd saved some of the Green Mile pollen to use for pollinating the plicatus x Virescens seedlings. Getting pollen of the best green snowdrops is always a problem, especially when they're not yet available commercially. The woes of a snowdrop breeder - sterile triploids and unavailable selected cultivars!  :-\

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #470 on: March 31, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
Hagen, you may have missed my question about your green-outers-marked snowdrops. I was interested to know if any of them are garden-raised hybrids or if they are all pure nivalis. And if any are hybrids, then whether you know anything about what the parents were? My own attempts at raising seedlings with green outers have not yet been very successful.

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #471 on: March 31, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
Hello Martin, I believe I cannot give a real answer to your problem. My green galanthus stand side by side in the garden. So wind and bees can work very easy. I never crossed the flowers by myself. A few of the younger seedlings have also green marks. I believe you will find "greens" easier in the second generation. The parents could be only G. nivalis, especially G. nivalis virescens, GREENISH, GRÜNER SPLITTER, GRÜNE WALDFEE, HUGH MACKENZIE,  and a few nameless discoveries of myself. Plicatus and elwesii are standing in another part of the garden.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #472 on: March 31, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »
Thank you Hagen. Your answer is very helpful. If you have all your "greens" close together and away from other snowdrops,and you are getting green seedlings from them, then it's most likely (as you say) that they are inter-crossing, nivalis "greens" with nivalis "greens". This suggests that it may be necessary to cross "green" with "green" to get green seedlings. And I think you are right - with my hybrid crosses I will get more greens in the second generation when I back-cross with greens. You are obviously lucky in having some fertile "greens" that set seed!

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #473 on: March 31, 2011, 08:56:21 PM »
Paddy, Brian, JohnW, yes I love the greens so much. But I`m only a green boy in all the important things of galanthus and never a green Zauberer.
Like I told to Martin, in my long time of Galanthophilie, now I found  the one or other green seedling in my garden.
Here is a small but heavy green seedling, blooming the first time. He could have a good future.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Ru

• https://www.facebook.com/ruslan.mishustin
« Reply #474 on: March 31, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »
Paddy, Brian, JohnW, yes I love the greens so much. But I`m only a green boy in all the important things of galanthus and never a green Zauberer.
Like I told to Martin, in my long time of Galanthophilie, now I found  the one or other green seedling in my garden.
Here is a small but heavy green seedling, blooming the first time. He could have a good future.
Remarkable Galanthus!!!
Ukraine, Kherson. 
Mintemp -32C (Over the last 50 years. Absolute minimum - winter of 1939-1940 -39C),
Maxtemp +41C (2005 y).
I am always glad to friends! https://www.facebook.com/ruslan.mishustin

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #475 on: April 01, 2011, 03:57:27 AM »
Lovely greens as always Hagan  :P

Nice to see that Canada is keeping us entertained - and other parts of Europe are yet to start.   :)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #476 on: April 02, 2011, 10:37:23 PM »
Don't know what's happening here. My remark about April Fool's Day (now vanished) was because there was a picture just before or just after KentGardener'spost, in which the two main flowers were distinctly pink. That picture has vanished too, as have all the Galanthus posts in my Inbox, and the new April thread as well! ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #477 on: April 02, 2011, 10:39:11 PM »
Your April Fool's Day remark, and the pink 'drops all moved to the new Galanthus Apiril thread, :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=7018.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #478 on: April 02, 2011, 10:44:30 PM »
Thanks Maggi. Everything to do with Galanthus has gone (perhaps a subconscious wish on my part) so I've gone back to the main Forum Index to start over. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal