We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Early Bulb Day -Dunblane 2011  (Read 7987 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Early Bulb Day -Dunblane 2011
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 09:54:56 PM »
Maggi, what on earth did you say to Cyril and me before you took the photo ?

Hmm...  the photo in this post, eh?  :D
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6753.msg187499#msg187499

Well, I think it was something along the lines of  "stand there for a photo, Folks, human interest and all that".... but from the expressions it may have been something else.... :-\ ::) ;D

I got the bulbs of the Don Stead hybrid Narcissus at a Discussion Weekend bulb exchange.  I think it was labelled as 'Don Stead'  but I remembered noticing in the Bulb Log or on the Forum that it was not the named variety so I was hunting around on the Bulb Log on Friday afternoon to make sure I had it correct.  I had in fact changed the label already.  Unusual for me.  I usually mean to change names and forget so need to do the research all over again.

Ian says he hasn't much more info o the little yellow cutie, either, other than it was raised by Don Stead.

The narcissus raised by Don Stead and named for him  is a hybrid between N. bulbocodium and cantabricus.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »
Dear Maggie all. have now almost got back to normal, we drove Peter Erskine back to Edinburgh airport yesterday even found time for a quick visit to Brechin snowdrops in the morning. I have had a very hectic time since Joe Sharmans gala 20 German snowdrop fans arrived for a tour which I helped to organise, the visited Dunblane show then on Sat night we were invited to a dinner at Glen Turrett distillery which was very different to our usual so much whisky it was mad, I did not have any as I was driving probably best as I would have been poured into bed. The snowdrops which I had at Dunblane with the other ticket Chris B posted a picture second one down on page two it only has a number will get another picture soonest, I do agree that Lady Alice is very nice, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »
Thanks for the report boys and girls...
Another great show apparantly !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 08:11:56 PM »
Hi all, here are the pictures first is a G plicatus with two nice marks like G gracilis which is number 19 and was at the show second is A tall G plicatus JMC some bulbs have 3 flowers per bulb, cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 09:19:52 PM »
Thanks for the posts. Nice to see that the show goes on regardless of following the worst winter on record! Perhaps the "Stirling" show will have a good snowdrop section this year too? I look forward to Sandy's show reports. It feels strange not being there.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 09:10:06 PM »
Nice to hear from you, Tony, and hope you're settling in now in NZ.  You'd have enjoyed the Display which was very good considering the weather.  Since the only flowers in my garden are white, it was wonderful to see so much colour on the benches - now I know that spring will come - eventually.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
Sandy Leven's Early Bulb Display Report has been added to the main website :

http://www.srgc.org.uk/shows/earlybulb/2011.pdf     8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal