We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendron 2011  (Read 19876 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Rhododendron 2011
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »
I've been encouraged to post these pics here in case any of you Rhodophiles are able to put a name to my plant. It came to us as a "twig" in a 10cm pot over ten years ago and cost us 50p from a local market. Now, it is some 4' high (122cm) occupies a space around 3' 6" square.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 07:13:34 PM »
David, I think we may have commented on your excellent "cheapo" before.... I think it is likely the old hybrid 'Blue Diamond' but there are a few of this type, Blue Tit, Blue Sapphire, Blue Diamond are the oldest set and the most likely candidates. I'll vote for Blue Diamond and see what the others say!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 07:18:10 PM »
David, I think we may have commented on your excellent "cheapo" before.... I think it is likely the old hybrid 'Blue Diamond' but there are a few of this type, Blue Tit, Blue Sapphire, Blue Diamond are the oldest set and the most likely candidates. I'll vote for Blue Diamond and see what the others say!

Sorry Maggi, the old memory ain't what it was ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 07:20:36 PM »
A plant magnifique, David!

Well, not blue of any kind and not very early either but this sutchuense (from seed) is soon ready to make a show ;D
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 07:28:52 PM »
David, it may not have been yours.... it may be my memory at fault... wouldn't be the first time!

Trond, always exciting when a seed raised plant makes its first flowers, isn't it? 

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »

Hmmm.  Difficult except to say but an augustinii hybrid with either impeditum or russatum.  These are horrors to identify especially as the colour is always off when photographed.  Not Sapphire but maybe Blue Tit or Blue Diamond, I lean to the former.  To complicate matters there are some saints down that way - not, of course, you David - like St. Tudy etc from Magor.  Not St. Merryn unless mine was mis-labelled.

Nice sutchuenense there Hoy. My it came on quickly. It will be a few weeks away here as still a tad chilly though the snow has been gone for a few weeks.

johnw
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:18:22 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »
It wasn't you, David, it was Graham C!
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=10.msg155236#msg155236

I'm sticking with 'Diamond', by the way!  :D

Graham Catlow

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
Ah Yes Maggi!!
That one again, that we didn't come to a conclusion on. Here it is today!
Along with 'Razorbill'
Bo'ness. Scotland

Onion

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »
Graham,

I think you have the old German cultivar 'Azurwolke' in your garden. You have a fine example of this cultivar.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Hoy

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 08:59:26 PM »

Trond, always exciting when a seed raised plant makes its first flowers, isn't it? 
Maggi, it isn't the first flowers of the plant just the first flowers this year! if I remember rightly it is the 3rd flowering season ;D but i am still waiting for the flowers to open fully, the spring is very slow this year.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »
Graham,

I think you have the old German cultivar 'Azurwolke' in your garden. You have a fine example of this cultivar.

Here in Aberdeen 'Azurwolke' is much later to flower

johnw

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 09:20:16 PM »
Graham - A smashing Razorbill you have there.  I wish it did as well here, I think it is on the edge here but always charms.

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 09:20:49 PM »

Maggi, it isn't the first flowers of the plant just the first flowers this year! if I remember rightly it is the 3rd flowering season ;D but i am still waiting for the flowers to open fully, the spring is very slow this year.
Ah, I misunderstood you.  Your plant is lovely.

The first are exciting though, that's for sure.... I'm still waiting for the first flowers on my R. auriculatum...... it's been a long time coming and there is no sign that this summer will bring them... that's at least 26years of a wait so far..... ::)!

johnw

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »
I'm still waiting for the first flowers on my R. auriculatum...... it's been a long time coming and there is no sign that this summer will bring them... that's at least 26years of a wait so far..... ::)!

Good grief Maggi, you are patient. R. auriculatum took 10-12 years here from seed and those are planted due east.  All are monstrously big now.   The one in full sun took about 10 years once planted out but languished in a pot for many years before that, and I might mention was labelled calophytum!

True calophytum is still not budded after about 21+ years, another brute of a thing. R. pronum on the other hand has not flowered after the age of two dogs, a friend's set buds very late one autumn but they failed to open.

Any buds on that proteoides yet?

johnw
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:29:50 PM by johnw »

Hoy

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 10:01:10 PM »

Ah, I misunderstood you.  Your plant is lovely.

The first are exciting though, that's for sure.... I'm still waiting for the first flowers on my R. auriculatum...... it's been a long time coming and there is no sign that this summer will bring them... that's at least 26years of a wait so far..... ::)!
Thanks, Maggi. Could well be the other way around that I expressed myself poorly ;D

I have an auriculatum that has flowered sparsely every other year for several years and it is not that old - 15 maybe.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal