We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2011  (Read 26162 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Erythronium 2011
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
You can see the flowers of 'Snowflake' are a bit cleaner at this point. Flowers are still emerging.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
This was not a bad winter for Erythroniums in my place in mid Sweden. The siberians did not try to flower below ground level and japonicum put up a show on every bulb.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2011, 08:39:55 AM »
Erythronium dens-canis with 7 petals
in Moscow

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »
In my part of the world the Erythronium is already wilting, and going through the woods today I noticed among thousands of normal E. dens-canis a few plants with these red leaves. Does anyone have any idea what might have caused the unusual coloration?
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »
Is this not simply the anthocyanins in the leaves being activated early because of the much warmer spring season that many of these plants have experienced, rushing them to earlier "autumn" colour than is usual?  
I know that the foliage of erythroniums is long gone by "real" autumn, but the colouring processes initiated by the anthocyanins is the same, is it not?

We have found here in north-east Scotland that the Erythroniums ( and other plants) have gone over very quickly as a result of the abnormally warm weather we have had this spring. The flowers seemed in a great hurry to flower and try to make seed in the heat.... whether or not the seed set is a good one remains to be seen. I would think that the faster than usual decay of the foliage is not a good aid to helping the plant ripen a full seed load.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:48:51 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »
Normally the leaves have a yellowish tint as the bulbs enter the dormancy state (like the one on the right).
At first I thought it is a deasease. But the bulb does not seem to be blemished in any way, and these are very isolated plants among thousands of normal ones.
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »
Ian says the leaf could have had a minor damage to the stem which inhibits the anthocyanins progress back  down to the bulb, causing the colour to be in the leaf.

KK-Ann Arbor

« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2011, 11:44:25 PM »
Erythronium nearing the end for this year.
in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - USDA Zone 5a

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2011, 01:15:05 AM »
1 Americanum
2 Pagoda
3 White Beauty

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »
Erythronium nearing the end for this year.

You're lucky.  Our Erythronium finished up several weeks ago.  Now the Trillium are almost gone as well.

Jim in central Indiana
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2011, 12:57:07 AM »
Dirk thanks, I have seed pods on both White Beauty and Pagoda growing.

I ordered some revolutum plants a couple weeks ago, i'm thinking atleast two springs before I see a flower? There were two or three decent sized bulbs out of eight when I went to plant them.

1-Revolutum seedlings
2-Erythronium bed
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:01:49 AM by Guff »

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
Found a nursery that has erythronium purpurascens for sale, how hardy is this plant? Would it grow in zone 4-5, worth taking a chance?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
Found a nursery that has erythronium purpurascens for sale, how hardy is this plant? Would it grow in zone 4-5, worth taking a chance?

I've never seen it offered, Guff.  
We have it from seed but it is not an easy species, though cold hardiness is not likely to be an issue. It won't enjoy too much heat, for sure. I'd give it a try.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2011, 07:13:23 PM »
Maggi thanks, ordered one. Also getting 3 hendersonii and 1 oregonum

I don't think the nursery has a web site, but he will send a plant list by email. Will need Excel program to read the file or download Excel Viewer.

http://download.cnet.com/Excel-Viewer-2003/3000-2064_4-10751304.html

oregonnativeplant@yahoo.com

Ed Alverson

« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »
Now that it is mid-August, the Erythronium flowering season has finally begun at Paradise Meadows, in the subalpine zone on Mt. Rainier.  The combination of heavy winter snowfall and a cool spring and summer has resulted in a very late melt-out of the snow in the subalpine zone this year.  You can see for yourself at the Paradise web cam at http://www.skimountaineer.com/MtnWebCams/Rainier-MtnWebCams.html?size=med&telemetry=true

Unfortunately they don't have any of the cameras pointed in a way to show the meadow vegetation, but both Erythronium montanum and E. grandiflorum grow here.

Normally the subalpine meadows on Mt. Rainier begin to melt out in early July. Four weeks ago were were traveling up to Seattle for a family visit and I wanted to stop off at Mt. Rainier on the way, but the snowpack was still 79 inches on the third weekend in July, so we decided to forego the side trip.

Contrast this with July 2005, which was a very dry year, when I found only a few patches of E. montanum still flowering above Paradise on July 11: http://www.srgc.org.uk/monthfeature/july2006/content.html

Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal