We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: looking for some hippeastrum and ismene ssp  (Read 2031 times)

orpheos

looking for some hippeastrum and ismene ssp
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:07:42 AM »
hi to all
someone know a source for seeds or bulbs of these species?
Hippeastrum bukasovii
hippeastrum cybister
hippeastrum evansiae
hippeastrum parodii
Ismene amancaes
thank you
~◊~ Matteo ~◊~

JoshY46013

Re: looking for some hippeastrum and ismene ssp
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »
Do you have other Hippeastrum species?

Ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »
Matteo, since you are new to rare bulb cultivation, note that

Peru
Mexico
Ecuador
Brazil

have strict laws against plundering plants from the wild. Besides being illegal, it is inmoral to purchase from plunderers as this way you are financing the extermination of otherwise rare species.

Yes, there are commercial sources that supply every now and then offsets or seedlings from these uncommon plants without having to support the human garbage that dig wild plants for sale.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

orpheos

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »
@ Josh: yes i'm growing some;)  I have sowed seeds of calyptratum, santacaterinae, striatum, reticulatum var striatifolium, glaucescens, psittacinum, aulicum, puniceus, papilio,blossfeldiae, reginae, solandriiflorum  in the past years and this spring i've sowed H. breviflorus and H.striatum petiolatum..
i've also found in US a small offset of H. mandoni, two seedlings of H. parodi and a small H. traubii fma doraniae.
i hope some bloom soon.. i've notice that they grow quite fast...

@ Alberto: I'm not searching adult plants taken from the wild, but seeds or seedlings ;) 
the only ones that i've bought that came from the wild was taken because the seller didn't tell me that...they are from a nursery in south africa and I've decided not to buy no more from them..not only some plant was rescue one (I asked explanation because one bulb have a large scar and only then they tell me where them came from) but some are also wrong labelled (and one have a viruses..the haemanthus showed here some time ago)
you say that some nursery from time to time may have them.. could you give me the link or their email?

~◊~ Matteo ~◊~

JoshY46013

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »
Alberto,

I don't know of anyone that travels down there and collects to sell, I do know of a few that collect for hobby growing and to share with others, I know the groups give to Botanical Gardens quite often.  I don't know that anyone makes a profit from these plants, if you know anyone in particular could you please PM me so I know who to stay away from?  I'd hate to support that..

I think it's important to increase the amount of plants in cultivation to cease the 'plunderers' from existing, I know a lot of times many of the species collected in these countries are found in gardens of native people and of course they LOVE to share. 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal