We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthomania - the book  (Read 16976 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Galanthomania - the book
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »

......As I recall someone describe a book, it is memorably forgettable.

Paddy
I prefer Dorothy Parker: "This is not a book to be tossed aside lightly; it should be thrown across the room with great force."
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:48 PM »
Ah, Gerry,

I have an admiration for anybody who goes to the bother and hard work of writing a book and am, generally, reluctant to be over critical in my comments. "Galanthomania" suffered mostly from not living up to its pre-publication publicity and this is, perhaps, the fault of the publishers rather than the author. However, that aside, it is not an excellent book. Perhaps, we will just lob it across the room to land on the pile of those never to be looked at again.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2011, 07:59:04 PM »
I find I am struggling to read many of those pages that are white text on a coloured background, particularly in poor light.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Almost in Scotland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2011, 09:21:01 PM »
Not a problem reading but the choice of colour is bad
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2011, 09:47:42 PM »
I find I am struggling to read many of those pages that are white text on a coloured background, particularly in poor light.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Oh goodness, I didn't realise it was like that.... I find that very tough going.

I'm told such colouring is very "trend forward" and the height of modern design.... :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2011, 02:25:30 AM »
I've not seen this particular book so can't comment about the white on black/colour background but what you say Alan, is certainly true of many other publications I've seen and tried to read recently, especially magazines. And I bought an expensive book at Christmas, a cookbook, to find the recipe ingredients are all in a very pale blue/grey colour against the white ground. Literally, I can only read then in bright daylight and with a magnifying glass. Modern or trendy design it may be but it is BAD design, like cutlery with square ends which hurt the palms of one's hands, and kitchens where the shelf for the microwave is above shoulder height (above waist height, in my opinion) because having to lift casseroles and the like from above horizonal arm height (and bent at the elbows) is downright dangerous when they're filled with very hot food. I could write a whole book about bad design.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
There was a report of a similar nature on BBC "Breakfast" this morning where  people had written in to complain that the background music in a recently shown new programme was too loud. People of a certain age and certain hearing ability/disability seem to prefer a clear voice with no distracting background sound. This background sound is similar to the background colour on the printed pages mentioned above.

Paddy

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2011, 04:46:47 AM »
Well those people have my sympathy Paddy. OK, so we degenerate a little as we age but that shouldn't mean that we're sidelined for the sake of the young who will undoubtedly go deaf sooner than we have, because of the appalling garbage they listen to and at a monstrous decibel level.

I also prefer to eat or drink where there is little or no background music and can actually listen to and hear, the person I'm with and converse on a sane level. Of course a pub with a good Irish or Scottish band, is great fun and to be welcomed, but then, the music is the point, not the unwelcome distraction.

I think this should be in the Moan, Moan thread. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

trevorn

« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2011, 11:54:36 PM »
Well, it certainly isn't what you'd expect from a scientific/ botanical treatise and there are forward trend issues for old tired eyes but I found the appraoch novel and interesting with its quirky personailty based approach which does raise some real issues that more serious books don't address. At least one person said there are far too many similar varieties, others admitted to be crazy collectors - a good cross section of what a bunch of nuts plants-people can be.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2011, 12:42:23 AM »
Hello Trevor.... nice to hear from you.  Your take on the book is an interesting one.... plenty room in the market for variety in book treatments, eh, if not for more identical snowdrops ;) :-X

Certainly great scope for plant nuttiness all round.... as we prove time and again here..... thank goodness they can't touch us for it.  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

hanninkj

• Homepage Ton Hannink
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »
I have the book and read it. The only good thing in the book is the classification.
The rest is not worth to read. How can you write such a book!

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »
I have the book and read it. The only good thing in the book is the classification.
The rest is not worth to read. How can you write such a book!

Then, you found nothing good in it.

Trevor, it was,indeed, interesting to read of the personalities who collect snowdrops.

Paddy

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2011, 09:54:47 PM »
I have at last ordered Janis's Crocus book. I ordered it from AmazonUK on Wednesday and it arrived here post free on Friday! A superb book as everyone who has it, knows.

I also ordered a DVD, an American movie 'The Lake House.' I'm not specially a fan of either Sandra Bullock or Keanu Reeves but have seen it twice on TV and it really intrigues me, having a sort of twisted time dimension to it and I'd like to see it again and then again later. Unfortunately Amazon sent a note to say they are unable to supply it outside the UK and Europe, something to do with the owners having forbidden general distribution I think. Damn it. I'm unable to get it in NZ.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2011, 11:04:45 PM »
Lesley, we saw The Lake House at the cinema and enjoyed it. Amazon.uk have it quite cheap. I have some other stuff to order from amazon so will order a copy, enjoy it a couple of times and mail it on to you.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2011, 12:33:51 AM »
Martin, that's lovely of you. I'll email you privately. Thanks so much.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal