We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: February 2011 - Southern Hemisphere  (Read 20048 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
February 2011 - Southern Hemisphere
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:04:47 AM »
Howdy All,

Just starting off the Feb topic for the southern hemisphere.  Pics posting shortly.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: February 2011 - Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:04:52 AM »
Flowering at present for me......

Hibiscus "Southern Belle", white flowered.  Huge flowers!!

Neomarica caerulea

Lilium auratum platyphyllum

A new purchase for me last week.... a Snail Vine (Vigna caracalla), well named as you can see by the flowers and buds.  The flowers start out white and pink, then fade to a yellowy colour.  Amazing perfume too, that is just so tropical.  Sort of like Lilium crossed with Frangipani, with some other stuff thrown in.  Gorgeous!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »

A new purchase for me last week.... a Snail Vine (Vigna caracalla), well named as you can see by the flowers and buds.  The flowers start out white and pink, then fade to a yellowy colour.  Amazing perfume too, that is just so tropical.  Sort of like Lilium crossed with Frangipani, with some other stuff thrown in.  Gorgeous!

Gorgeous indeed Paul!
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:30:37 AM »
Luit,

It remains to be seen whether I can get it through winter in a warm corner.  It is after all a tropical "bean", but it apparently can die back to the ground and reshoot in cold climates.  Fingers crossed I can get it to do so here.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

arillady

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »
With the really hot weather lately the Monarch butterflies as well as the flies are congregating in the courtyard with the ponds. So many of them flying around and settling for a few seconds. I dare anyone to get a good photo of them when they are flitting from leaf to leaf.
There must be lots of frogs too in the ponds too as they hop back in the water after being disturbed. Just waiting to see my first Red Bellied Black snake for the season as they like the ponds for their lunch break.
Driving into Angaston this afternoon I was surprised by what looked like spent gum blossoms or some such for a good 15ft over the road.
On the way back I slowed down - it was locusts hoppers hopping across the road from what used to be Lindsay Park Racing stables to the Lindsay Park Stud homestead. Just when they are trying to sell too. I vaguely thought about reversing over them a few times........ :-\
I have never ever seen anything like this. There must be millions of them hatching and starting to move.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:21:14 AM »
Pat,

Did you notify anyone?  I know in some parts they will spray hoppers when they're seen en masse?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
Just a little "first" for me - Petronymphe decora, a close relative of Bessera elegans, also from Mexico. Oh, and it took me four years from seed.   :)
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
Beautiful plant Rogan 8) 
The distinctive colouring reminds me of Primula serratifolia.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:38:14 PM »
Just a little "first" for me - Petronymphe decora, a close relative of Bessera elegans, also from Mexico. Oh, and it took me four years from seed.   :)
That's a beautiful plant, Rogan!
One I'd not heard of before, thanks for posting it.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 10:27:01 PM »
Nice, Rogan.

Like Fermi, I'd not heard of that one before either.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 12:05:42 AM »
Delightful Rogan. I'm pleased to say my Bessera are coming through apace. Last year they didn't come up until April but it's wetter this year and they were not repotted after their late planting last year. No buds yet though.

I dread any further news from Queensland. That poor state! Whatever next must those people endure.

Floods, fires, and locusts? And they call Australia "the lucky country." ???
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:21:57 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 02:10:28 AM »
So, should Bessera be flowering already?  Mine have leaves (assuming those cylindrical shoots are the correct thing) but it has been a few years since they last flowered and I have concerns that I may have lost them and that what is growing in there isn't actually the Bessera anymore.  Do they flowers appear with, before, or after leaves?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 03:18:38 AM »
Mine flowered last year with the leaves but as I said, they were received and planted late so maybe their behaviour wasn't normal. The leaves just started 2 or 3 days ago after so much rain lately.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 05:58:34 AM »
That's a lovely flower too Rogan. Seems to flower earlier as Bessera?
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

arillady

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »
The local Council Paul is going to spray - landholders spray their own land.
Yes the plant was completely new to me. I do like greenish flowers. Does it have a scent Rogan?
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal