We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Early spring in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 66827 times)

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Re: Early spring in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #330 on: October 07, 2007, 10:28:32 AM »
Sorry - still got L plates on - here are the rest thanks Maggie love Otto
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #331 on: October 07, 2007, 10:46:17 AM »
Marcus and Otto,

Wow!!  Double and triple wow!!  That double rivale is something else, that is for sure, and the beautifully round pink is to die for!!!!!  Fantastic!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

SueG

« Reply #332 on: October 07, 2007, 04:38:25 PM »
Marcus and Otto,

Wow!!  Double and triple wow!!  That double rivale is something else, that is for sure, and the beautifully round pink is to die for!!!!!  Fantastic!!  8)
Couldn't have put it better myself a double flower which looks so good!
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #333 on: October 07, 2007, 09:14:40 PM »
Hi Marcus, Great to have you on the Forum and I hope you hang around and continue to post when you get home again. Give my love to Otto and to Susan.

The double rivale is a little stunner isn't it? I didn't know there was one except that I occasionally get 6 petals on a single flower on a clump but it's back to 3 again the following year. I hope Viv's is stable. She'll be able to retire on it. :)

I was wondering about the quarantine plants and if they were still IN quarantine. I guess AQIS will want to see them at this full growth stage. Do you have any idea how the Narc. rom. `Atlas Gold' came through the methyl bromide? They're for Don, though on Tim's permit.

I got the seeds all right from the red-berried Pernettya tasmanica but Don's damned bower bird ate the yellow, same as the blue berries on the coprosma. Poked its neck through the bird netting apparently. I'm sending him a recipe for cooking the bower bird!

I absolutely agree about Cloudhill, a super place. I've been there in both spring and autumn and was enchanted both times. Hopefully next early spring.

This is sounding more like a personal email instaed of a post to the Forum, but wanted to say welcome. Wish I was with you there. And who care's about the rugby anyway? :'( :'( :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #334 on: October 07, 2007, 11:04:29 PM »
Lesley,

The Rugby is a bit of a shocker isn't it!!  First time that the series final won't have either Aus or NZ in it!!  Go Argentina!!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #335 on: October 07, 2007, 11:15:55 PM »
The Portuguese team (points difference -171, only Namibia were worse) were given a hero's welcome in Portugal - hey ho  ::)

Chloë
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #336 on: October 08, 2007, 01:48:04 AM »
Chloe, I loved the Portugese team. They had such a great spirit and were intent on enjoying themselves and having a great time regardless of the results. The men we saw and heard who were interviewed by NZ commentators, were such nice guys and truly loved their sport, not taking it all too seriously as we tend to do. I hope that for future World Cups the less accomplished teams are not rejected as has been suggested by some of the administrators. We'd miss them.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #337 on: October 08, 2007, 03:39:29 PM »
Now, Paul, I was going to chastise you for not getting behind Scotland, and, if you had, we might have played a bit better and beaten those pesky Pumas...now we're ALL out!

edit: OOPS! well, I forgot that Rogan's team and the English were still involved!! Just as well we haven't too many French forumists or I'd have insulted them, too1
 Sorry!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 04:42:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #338 on: October 08, 2007, 09:24:53 PM »
Well Maggi, presumably the best final would have been Scotland v. the All Blacks. I wonder who would have won that one. :-X

The Portugese and the Fijians were welcomed home as heros and great good fortune to them. It will still be north v. south, just not the right teams. Our guys are due home tomorrow (in the air as I write) and I suspect will be for a right good lynching, judging by the newspaper and TV reactions. One has to say in regard to that, "get a life."

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #339 on: October 09, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »
Well Maggi, presumably the best final would have been Scotland v. the All Blacks. I wonder who would have won that one.

That's very easy to answer, Lesley.... the Bookmakers, of course!  8)

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #340 on: October 10, 2007, 07:25:47 AM »
edit: OOPS! well, I forgot that Rogan's team and the English were still involved!! Just as well we haven't too many French forumists or I'd have insulted them, too1
 Sorry!

Yah, nah, ne, nah! Do I detect sour grapes from our Scot, Aus and NZ supporters?  ;) I loved the Fiji vs SA game, which the Fijians should have won - SA woke up just in time!

Just to make you all feel a little better - an image of the 'Graskop' form of Agapanthus inapertus:
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #341 on: October 10, 2007, 08:14:02 AM »
The Aus team are straggling back home to enjoy their favourite w(h)ine: "We were really unlucky against the Poms"(best said with very nasal twang!).
I'll stick to gardening! (says the Physio who considers all sports injuries as "self inflicted"!)
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #342 on: October 10, 2007, 01:41:36 PM »
Just to make you all feel a little better
That stunning Agapanthus certainly cheered me up, Rogan. Very elegant  blue.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #343 on: October 10, 2007, 11:51:39 PM »
Our lot arrived home yesterday tails between their legs but found themselves greeted uproariously by crowd of thousands at Christchurch airport. Players OK but it seems the management/coaches/selectors may be for the chop. Not sour grapes Rogan, just major disappointment. Good luck for yours against Argentina - I think.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal