We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tasmanian tree ferns HELP  (Read 3920 times)

Lisa Marie Claire

Tasmanian tree ferns HELP
« on: May 19, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »
I hang my head in shame :( i have successfully kept tree ferns for six years and i love them! However the freezing winter seems to have murdered them- could they comeback to life in time does anyone know?  They are big :(
Can anyone make any revival suggestions.....please
Many thanks

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Tasmanian tree ferns HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:09:29 PM »
Hi Lisa,
 This winter has meant the death of a lot of tree ferns in the UK and Scotland in particular. 

I strongly suspect they may be dead but don't be in too much of a hurry to dipose of the bodies.... there is always a tiny hope that a wee shoot will emerge from the centre of the plant.... give them another couple of months before arranging the funeral.  :P ::)

How is your "green" roof doing?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lisa Marie Claire

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:26:03 PM »
My sedum roof is looking fantastic thank-you maggie :)
Well my tree ferns wont be disposed of as i will let them decompose in the garden if they do not come back to life, i really hope they do though as im gutted at loosing them! Was going to wait till next year to pronounce them dead!
I need fences put up and i need some landscaping done in my garden- do u know anyone good?
;-)

Lisa Marie Claire

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »
If only i could check for a pulse or just ask them!! Soo frustrating not being able to tell :'(

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 08:35:41 PM »
Lisa, I don't think I know of anyone who would be able to help you right now.... but if I hear of someone with not enough work, I'll let you know.  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lisa Marie Claire

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:52:36 PM »
That would be appreciated  ;D its really a landscaper/designer i need as my garden is needing major major overhaul!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:08:07 PM »
Keep them a lot longer than a couple of months, a full year at least (wrap the trunks next winter) as they can sprout after an amazingly long time. If the worst has happened, still keep them as they are wonderful as supports for Clematis, Tropaeolum, Lapageris or other not too vigorous climbers and give a satisfyingly tropical look to a garden. :D Lifted and laid flat like railway sleepers they support plants like dwarf rhodos, pleiones, philesia, cassiopes, Asteranthera ovata et al., even little trilliums and the like.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lisa Marie Claire

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »
Thankyou Lesley, i was planning and hoping they will come back in the next year as ive a feeling they might take a while come back to life, one of them is 61/2 ft and another is 2ft and 3ft and a really short one- i have four
I really want a tropical like garden and was planning to get more but in future keep them in a greenhouse or make a long sack and fill with straw over winter...
If they dont live they will definately be a feature and i like your ideas :)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 02:51:19 AM »
Hi Lisa Marie,
These ferns, if they are the Dicksonia antartica - the soft tree fern, survive quite low temperatures in the mountains and I've seen them looking like igloos with the snow weighting down the fronds into perfect domes.  :D
However the winter you guys have just had is probably more than they would ever get over here ???
Anyway, good luck with them and if they haven't survived they have a lot of uses as Lesley has suggested. Orchid growers uses tree fern slabs as a great backing material on which to grow epiphytes!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

angie

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 07:35:46 PM »
Hi Lisa Marie - missed this topic I have three Dicksonia tree ferns and they aren't showing any growth as yet.  I wondered if yours were soft inside. I have had mine for 5 years but like you have said this was a bad winter for us in Aberdeen.
My mum had a small fern and we threw it in the woods behind my house thinking it was dead but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a new frond coming out the plant,  wasn't even in -touch with any soil it was lying on dead branches.
Lets hope we get some growth.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lisa Marie Claire

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 11:14:48 PM »
Ooooh there may be some hope yet! I dont think they are soft inside....

angie

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 11:19:17 PM »
Keeping my fingers crossed   :) :) :)

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 08:02:38 AM »
I am too...it's so upsetting when a plant friend is 'under the weather' and I think Angie's story has a real sense of hope - hoping  your tree ferns pull through, Lise Marie, they are such characters.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal