We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scilla 2011  (Read 23284 times)

YT

• Twitter
Scilla 2011
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:19:36 AM »
2011 blooming season has started :)

Scilla ingridiae, from JJA Seeds (Original collection: Turkey, Adana, N of Saimbeyli. 1300m. Ex R.& R. Wallis 93-33). It was identified as Scilla siberica subsp. taurica when I bought the seeds in 2004. It's a real tiny and lovely gem 8) The scale unit is mm.

The description has been changed on newest Jenny's seed list as below!

874.009 : SCILLA INGRIDIAE (S. ingridiae var. taurica, S. siberica subsp. taurica)* Turkey, SE of Kahramanmaras. Ex. a N. Stevens coll. (This collection has been attributed to S. leepii and we have listed the R. & R. Wallis 93-33 collection from an adjacent area as S. siberica subsp. taurica. We believe it is now correctly identified. A seldom-collected, little species, edemic to the upper drainage of the Tigris, with up to 6, usually single-flowered, slender, 5cm.scapes rising from each bulb to carry flowers with lilac-blue segments with darker midribs. A lovely, early & long-flowering pan-plant.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:24:02 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Scilla 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »
2011 blooming season has started :)

Scilla ingridiae, from JJA Seeds (Original collection: Turkey, Adana, N of Saimbeyli. 1300m. Ex R.& R. Wallis 93-33). It was identified as Scilla siberica subsp. taurica when I bought the seeds in 2004. It's a real tiny and lovely gem 8) The scale unit is mm.
Excellent picture, although plant is small. My first opinion was - Scilla armena for which 1 flower per stem is usual, but then noted that leaves are short, in armena they are longer at blooming time. My ingridae usually has 3-5 flowers on stem as you can see on attached picture from previous spring (stock from near Gezbeli pass, deep clay, at roadside from 1930 m and higher to melting snow ~ 2100m; under Juniperus and open spots). For first flowers here still left at least month. Here is only snowing and are beat all records. Last days I was again closed in for two days by uncleaned roads. Hope to first blooming after month or even later.
Janis
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:27:50 PM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Onion

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
What a nice start of the Scilla season.
@YT a nice little you have there.
@Janis, is the colour in the picture true? A very bright blue. But a fantastic one.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:12:14 PM »
Among the first signs of spring awakening, several Scilla mischtschenkoana (or tubergeniana) have started to open their first flowers immediately as they sprouted from the ground. A wonderful and most welcome sight, as early as end January!
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:38:23 AM »
Janis, thank you very much for details and picture of your ingridiae. Did you collect the plants by yourself? It seems yours has broader perianths and larger flowers than mime. Here is a picture of same pot taken last season. My plants tend to have a few flowers per stem in later season. I’ve already ordered S. armena to your nursery this year, so I’ll be able to compare both in same growing conditions here next season ;)

Now, I have to thank sunny winter here and am hoping you have not so heavy snow at your place…

Uli, thanks ;D

zephirine, nice herald of spring (bit early?)! The bright pollen colour makes good contrast with light blue perianths :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:43:13 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 04:12:23 AM »
Tatsuo, I like the top-dressing on you pot, looks very natural, a nice backdrop to those little blue gems.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:01:16 AM »
As this morning here is minus 24 C you can understand that no one flowers are picturable. So I'm showing few pictures of Scilla armena. 3 are from wild, one from garden. Note few special features of it:
1) Leaves at flowering time equal or longer than scape
2) each scape bears only 1, rarely 2 flowers, but it is compensate by number of scapes from well grown, good size bulbs
3) very special shape of flower, especially recognisable in first days of blooming.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:08:15 AM »
Janis, thank you very much for details and picture of your ingridiae. Did you collect the plants by yourself?
Yes, this Scilla ingridae stock was collected by myself + Arnis & Henrik. It was very hot day when we reached the pass and I stood at our car to guard it but my colleagues went up to mountains up to snow level. From top they brought down few flowering plants but at road under large Juniperus I collected few Scillas in seeds (and some Corydalis) as it was much lower altitude. This allowed to check the seeds and so to identify the plants in situ. This species grow well, every year set a lot of seeds. Color on picture is true. At that spot we collected fantastical small Muscari, most likely new species, grown by us under nickname "miniarmeniacum".
Janis

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 10:20:10 AM »
Mark, it's a kind of pumice collected at Kyushu island, Japan. It's useful for telling me watering timings by changing its colour as you can see a picture below ;D

Janis, I just remember your book ‘Buried Treasure’, the story when you spot the S. ingridiae, ‘mini-armeniacum’ and Corydalis tauricola :) I'm also keen interested in your so-called ‘mini-armeniacum’ ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:05:55 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »
Scilla libanotica from JJA seeds has just started to bloom today :) Original collection: Lebanon, East of Beirut, Tarchich. Damp, shady, rock crevices. Ex R.& R.Wallis 99-04.
Tatsuo Y

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 12:14:13 AM »
Superb plants YT, Zephirine and Janis!

Here a wonderful plant which came from Jenny Archibald last year: Chionodoxa cretica 'Melvyn' 
(following world checklist of RBG Kew Scilla cretica)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

LucS

• Luc II
  • bulbs from seed
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »
Scilla libanotica from JJA seeds has just started to bloom today :) Original collection: Lebanon, East of Beirut, Tarchich. Damp, shady, rock crevices. Ex R.& R.Wallis 99-04.
I have the same plant in flower for at least two weeks now.
Luc Scheldeman
Torhout, Flanders, Belgium

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 04:59:22 PM »
Hans, what a precious and tiny gem :o Thank you for showing :)

Luc, yours look much larger than mine and better flower forms with broader perianths :o ;)
Tatsuo Y

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 05:06:21 PM »
Hans, what a precious and tiny gem :o Thank you for showing :)

Luc, yours look much larger than mine and better flower forms with broader perianths :o ;)
I agree the Chionodoxa cretica from HansA  is lovely.

Tatsuo, is it not simply that your flowers are just openig while Luc's are fully developed?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

LucS

• Luc II
  • bulbs from seed
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »

Tatsuo, is it not simply that your flowers are just openig while Luc's are fully developed?

Absolutely right Maggi.
Luc Scheldeman
Torhout, Flanders, Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal