We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hippeastrum 2011  (Read 13127 times)

JoshY46013

Re: Hippeastrum 2011
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
H. calyptratum, open for business - extremely odd, but quite enthralling!

Beautiful plant :)  Is it Autumn where you are?!  I haven't been able to get my H. calyptratum to bloom!?  How do you grow yours!?

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »
Is it Autumn where you are?! 
Autumn it certainly is - nearly winter, but our winter is very mild by European standards.

How do you grow yours!?
H. calyptratum is an epiphyte in nature so needs a very 'open' medium in a pot or basket. I water and fertilize normally through the summer months and lower the frequency during winter months. My plant/s flower regularly at the first signs of autumn.

I have a batch of seedlings coming on from last season's seed - they are very vigorous and free of problems (accept for their nemesis: the Amaryllis caterpillar!).
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Ezeiza

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 03:36:31 PM »
Rogan, your plant flowers at the begnning of the growth cycle.

I never understand why Amaryllis caterpillar is a problem since systemic insecticides are so easily obtained.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »
I never understand why Amaryllis caterpillar is a problem since systemic insecticides are so easily obtained.

I have a garden full of wildlife and try to avoid using pesticides at all costs; I try and dispense with pests by mechanical means (a boot!), but don't always succeed and therefore pay the price.  :(

Ezeiza

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »
Rogan, no need to spray them from a plane! You can use spot control, meaning that you can spray those plants known to be susceptible and at the times of the year the pest appear. Absorption is complete in two hours so after 3 hours or so you can water the plants with pure water. Impact on wildlfe can be minimum, if any (other than the amaryllis caterpillar wildlife!!!)

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2011, 07:28:47 AM »
Thanks Alberto, I guess you are right - I must stop complaining about Brithys pancratii and just protect my plants properly.

By the way, I've had very good success with the Rhodophiala "Granatiflora" (?) seeds you sent me some years ago; they haven't flowered yet but are growing very strongly - I have managed to keep Brithys off them so far... Maybe flowers next year?   8)

Ezeiza

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2011, 02:25:34 PM »
The tip for Rhodophiala is replant each year more deeply to speed their maturity. It is positively stunning!

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2011, 03:06:25 PM »
The tip for Rhodophiala is replant each year more deeply to speed their maturity. It is positively stunning!
Alberto i have some Rhodophiala montana seedlings that are 3 year old now,when you say deep,what depth would be best?
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Ezeiza

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »
Just an example, we grow ours in containers 40 cm. deep. Adult bulbs of several species "travel" rapidly to the bottom of the pot. 20 cm. of neck would be a minimum.

PeterT

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »
I use mainly clay pots, I buy pots 10 cm wide x 20 cm deep from "terrapot", which are working well for Tulips and Irises. I also use a lot of pots from B&Q which are 22cm wide and 30 cm deep, Homebases version of this model was more expensive and less robust. The dimensions are internal ones.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2011, 07:23:34 PM »
I use mainly clay pots, I buy pots 10 cm wide x 20 cm deep from "terrapot", which are working well for Tulips and Irises. I also use a lot of pots from B&Q which are 22cm wide and 30 cm deep, Homebases version of this model was more expensive and less robust. The dimensions are internal ones.
Cheers Peter for that.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Heinie

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2011, 07:27:30 PM »
What a beautiful show of Hippeastrums we see here.

I have a 25cm pot planted with Hippeastrum Papilio currently with at least 8 smaller baby bulbs around it. I removed four flowering size bulbs during the past two years but even those bulbs are very vigorous growers and multipliers. The one bulb has produced seven smaller bulbs in about 14 months. The mother bulb is almost 10cm in diameter and all the bulbs are evergreen. They occasionally lose an old leaf on the outside. The leaves are harder and thicker than any of my other Hippeastrums. I grow them where they receive full sun until about noon but move the pot too part shade in high summer. This photo was taken when some of the bulbs flowered during October last year.

Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2011, 07:52:05 AM »
Heinie, you live in bulb paradise!   ;D

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »
Congratulations Heinie! 8)
Hope we will see a full flower bunch of Hippeastrum Papilio soon :)
Best wishes
Armin

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »
Here is flowering for me a Hippeastrum from this Sonatini hybrids :

'Balentino'

Enjoy
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal