We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris-2011  (Read 56944 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Reticulate Iris-2011
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2011, 08:28:20 AM »
With me a week ago started to bloom WHITE CAUCASUS. All the time I'm waiting when it will become really white. But it still keeps bluish shade. Of course, it is whitest from all commercially available pure reticulata irises (some of Alan's crosses are much whiter, but they are not pure reticulatas), but I'm a little disappointed.
On second picture you can see the real white one which such are from the first day of blooming - it I got from Zhirair, who found it in mountains.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2011, 09:47:55 AM »
With me a week ago started to bloom WHITE CAUCASUS. All the time I'm waiting when it will become really white. But it still keeps bluish shade. Of course, it is whitest from all commercially available pure reticulata irises (some of Alan's crosses are much whiter, but they are not pure reticulatas), but I'm a little disappointed.
On second picture you can see the real white one which such are from the first day of blooming - it I got from Zhirair, who found it in mountains.
Janis

Janis, I share your disappointment. Mine is well over now but didn't loose the blue shade at all.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

PeterT

« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »
Janis

Janis, I share your disappointment. Mine is well over now but didn't loose the blue shade at all.
Mine got whiter then aged back to a stronger shade of blue. Next to white flowers it always had a blue wash.
Zhirair's clone looks lovely Janis.
 I believe there used to be a cultivar involving I winowgradowii and histroides major called 'Tantallon' which is described as white- blue -grey flowers and also a form- "Iris reticulata var alba -a white form that is not so robust" I have never seen either.
there was also Iris reticulata Littlr Bride - a scented white form which I have never seen, and of course the (?extinct) vartanii alba
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:46:48 AM by PeterT »
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »

I believe there used to be a cultivar involving I winowgradowii and histroides major called 'Tantallon' which is described as white- blue -grey flowers

Never heard of such a plant, Peter.  Made me curious though but all I find is this reference from
http://www.jerseyiris.org/ais-index.txt
Where the plant is seemingly mentioned in issue 156, page 45.......
156   45   B   Tantallon
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2011, 05:51:48 AM »
Few quite rare (or very rare in cultivation) reticulatas
Iris winogradowii - more common
and two rarieties - pskemense and zagrica
Janis

PeterT

« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »

I believe there used to be a cultivar involving I winowgradowii and histroides major called 'Tantallon' which is described as white- blue -grey flowers

Never heard of such a plant, Peter.  Made me curious though but all I find is this reference from
http://www.jerseyiris.org/ais-index.txt
Where the plant is seemingly mentioned in issue 156, page 45.......
156   45   B   Tantallon

I dont have the bulbous Iris registration books -I think they are compiled by the dutch. Old Wallace and Barr catalogs might reveal something, but as the cross is posiable it can be repeted and further selections made.
Janis you have shown some wonderful plants, I am sorry I have been so busy I have not had time to post or take part in the threads recently.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2011, 09:48:56 AM »
VERY VERY NICE Retic irises Janis.
Never seen last 2 species before, thank's for sharing.
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Aberdeenshire Quine

Are anyone else's late?
« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2011, 11:50:32 AM »
I'm a very new start gardener- year 3 commencing. I put in Iris Reticulata 2 years ago and had a a lovely show last spring. This year I have leaves but no flowers. Have I done something wrong?

winwen

« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2011, 04:12:11 PM »
Janis,
every time you post the pictures of your flowering Iris pskemense, I always rethink the same: this is a real WOW-plant with an exquisite coloring - bordeaux-red, white, yellow and blue- all in one flower.
A real buried treasure! What a gem!
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: Are anyone else's late?
« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2011, 04:57:10 PM »
I'm a very new start gardener- year 3 commencing. I put in Iris Reticulata 2 years ago and had a a lovely show last spring. This year I have leaves but no flowers. Have I done something wrong?

No, I don't think it's anything you've done.... these bulbs do tend to break down after a couple of yeasrs into masses of tiny non-flowering bulbs. Whiletheir leaves are still green give them a feed of Sulphate of Potash by sprinkling a small amount ( half a teaspoon per set of leaves!) around the leaves and water in well. You can do that again in another couple of weeks until the foliage begins to yellow, that should help build up the bulbs again.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »
Few quite rare (or very rare in cultivation) reticulatas
Iris winogradowii - more common
and two rarieties - pskemense and zagrica
Janis

WOW
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Aberdeenshire Quine

« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »
Thanks, Margaret. It's not the snow, then?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
No, I'm sure it's not the weather... ghastly though it was and responsible for a lot of plant problems and deaths but not this one! 

Aberdeenshire Quine

« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2011, 07:18:27 PM »
thanks. I'll try that.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #254 on: April 04, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »
With me White Caucasus becomes only bluer.
Today comunicate with Alan McMurtrie, he wrote me that usually plants received from Wim de Goede in first year are of darker incolor, but next season must to get true white color. Will see....
Janis

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal