We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus 2011  (Read 15822 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: Helleborus 2011
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2011, 07:54:25 AM »
P.S. Tony, I just looked through the 2010 hellebore thread and noticed your conversation about H. thibetanus germination and the cotyledon issue. Here is visual proof of the cotyledons (they are not photosynthetic or meant to be above ground perhaps), but then this raises the question of the above ground/below ground topic.  ;D It might be anomalous, but I've seen it a couple of times. Either way they're ephemeral. If one is not looking they might disappear in one day.]
=================================================================================
Thanks for the pics Joseph.

Today i found seed of this sps sown June 2009 just germinating , a radicle ,(root),pushing the seed upright.It will be interesting to see how quickly the cotyledons form and appear above ground......

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2011, 09:14:14 AM »
Joseph

I remember that when I had a further germination I acknowledged that I was wrong and certainly in the case of my thibetanus the cotyledons stayed underground and the first sign of growth was a leaf.

The plants are in their second year and are doing well,see picture attached. These were sown June 09 and have been kept in a cold frame over the winter where they froze. I have several others which were left in an open frame and there is no difference in the plants.

Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Joseph

« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »
Tony, I meant to confirm that you were correct about them having cotyledons (might have misread the thread though). I think perhaps they only appear above ground like this when the seed coat is stuck on. Your seedlings look good.

Dave, good to hear you have germination. They are starting to seed around a bit here, though slowly.

I have one curious seedling in the spot I put some H. thibetanus seed in 2009. I'm hoping it's Helleborus x belcheri. I randomly try pollen between H. niger and H. thibetanus when I can, but in the open garden it's tough to say. The closest H. niger is about 15 meters away.

Middle Tennessee, USA. Hot summers, erratic winters. Far from ideal, but somehow the plants grow.

Roberto Gamoletti

« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2011, 06:58:40 AM »
Dear friends
Here the picture of an uncomom wild atrorubens guttatus from Will Mc Lewin flowering now in my garden
Roberto
Roberto Gamoletti from northern Italy

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2011, 07:30:01 PM »
Dear friends
Here the picture of an uncomom wild atrorubens guttatus from Will Mc Lewin flowering now in my garden
Roberto

Interesting plant that Roberto I have not heard of this one before

Here are a few of mine

H torquatus a Will Mclewin collection
H purpurescens from wild collected seed

H atrorubens (I think) from wild seed
H multifidus bocconei same
H niger Blackthorn Strain

Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »
Here are a couple of my seedlings that I "retrieved" from my allotment. The colour is more intense than shown here. I think they are amongst the best I have raised. The first is what is called a Neon which I crossed with an Ashwood Neon and a deep yellow plant. The second is a Yellow spotted with my best Lemon yellow one, both I like better than their parents
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:37:38 PM by ian mcenery »

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »
Excellent plants Ian !!  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2011, 07:54:31 PM »
Two crackers there Ian-how long from seed please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »
At last! Here are my first hellebores for the season. The last time I saw them like this was December 2009 - before the extremely cold winter that year started mid-December. This, almost as cold, winter started even earlier - mid-November. But today I can imagine the spring :D

(Nothing for you from warmer places)

PS: Ian, your yellows are marvellous!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:10:30 AM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »
Two crackers there Ian-how long from seed please?

Both  took 3 years to flower but the second plant is 4 years old. I have raised about 100  plants many of which are good but not particularly outstanding. The allotment is useful for this.

Luc and Trond thanks

Roberto Gamoletti

« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2011, 07:06:58 AM »
Flowering today an anemone picotee hybrid
Roberto Gamoletti from northern Italy

Joseph

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2011, 07:36:22 AM »
Ian, nice neons but that H. torquatus is so rare and exquisite! 'Neons' can be easily bought or bred these days, but that dark plant is magnificent. Those who have not visited wild colonies may not share in my excitement.  ;D All nice plants though . . .
Middle Tennessee, USA. Hot summers, erratic winters. Far from ideal, but somehow the plants grow.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »
A few from the garden today. Sorry about the shots that include my fingers most of mine seem to have flowers that look at the soil. Apart from 1 which I've had for years, 2 which is a self sown seedling that I just left to grow and 6 which is a seedling Stella Tracey raised (won in the raffle at our last local AGS group meeting), all the others are from the Harvington series which seem to be the only ones available at local garden centres here. Now if only Ashwood Nurseries were nearer!

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »
Ian, nice neons but that H. torquatus is so rare and exquisite! 'Neons' can be easily bought or bred these days, but that dark plant is magnificent. Those who have not visited wild colonies may not share in my excitement.  ;D All nice plants though . . .

Joseph

I also like the torquatus very much but I think that many regard these as an acquired taste preferring the bigger and more colourful ones ;) I find the species particularly slow to grow and very fussy about conditions.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2011, 07:03:28 PM »
Been busy there David - very nice

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal