We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Is it feasible to visit both these shows ?  (Read 2673 times)

claykoplin

• Point Barrow Alaska
Is it feasible to visit both these shows ?
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:36:19 AM »
The Fritillaria Group is having their next meeting on March 20, 2011 at RHS Wisley.  Is it realistic to try and attend the Stirling (Dunblane) meeting on March 19 and the RHS meeting at Wisley on the 20th? I'm assuming Wisley is a good place to spend a full day besides the show.  Wife and I are considering our first trip across the big pond this spring sometime in March or April, and want to split our time between a SRGC show or meeting in Scotland (me) (and see countryside and gardens along the way for a week), and some hot weather elsewhere in Europe, Spain or something (her).

Are shows just a one-day event, or is there socializing and setup that happens a day before and after and is there any one SRGC show you would recommend between February and early May? <You may want to email me this privately for risk of starting a civil war over which show is best :) >  

What is the current exchange rate of fritillaria bulbs or seed for smoked Alaskan salmon in jars?

Thank You
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:32:05 PM by Maggi Young »
in Cordova, Alaska

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Is it feasible to visit both these shows ?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »
Clay, I think it would be pushing it to visit both these shows.... not impossible, but tricky enough.

Still working out exchange rates on the jars of salmon  ::) ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:06:22 PM »
Clay,
If you want to attend the Frit group meeting on March 20th - this can make a nice combination with the AGS show in Kent (Rainham near Gillingham) on Saturday 19th. They're hardly at 1 1/2 hours driving distance.

8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »
That sounds like a sensible suggestion, Luc, even if we in Scotland would be VERY pleased to see Clay here.  :)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »
I remember the smoked salmon in tins from a holiday we made to Alaska some years ago.  Thought it was wonderful and I can't understand why we can't get it over here.  unfortunately we don't grow frits so although my mouth is watering I can't help you.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 02:36:44 PM »
That sounds like a sensible suggestion, Luc, even if we in Scotland would be VERY pleased to see Clay here.  :)

Didn't want to intrude Maggi...   :-[ I should add, that it would obviously be VERY unwise of Clay NOT to move North direction Scotland before or after this weekend...  :D ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

claykoplin

• Point Barrow Alaska
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
Our vacation is starting to Gel, and I was very much leaning toward Frit group on 20th, putting AGS show on 19th in Kent within reach.  Approximately one week before or after this weekend would be spent up North and if there were an SRGC show either on the weekend of the 12/13th or 26th/27th, that would be wonderful.  Not to worry, exchange rates for Smoked Salmon (in jars is much nicer than tins, I'll try to post a picture but the visual appeal does somewhat for the flavor in my opinion) can be negotiated for particularly moisture tolerant crocus, erythronium, or corydalis, nomocharis, or himalayan lilium, not to be too exclusive.

Thanks for the feedback - Clay
in Cordova, Alaska

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:10:53 PM »
Hurray for Blackpool for Hexam.  They nicely bracket the Frit Group and AGS shows on the 19th/20th.
Well Clay, you've found a good plan there, I think..... these are both really good shows and you will meet a lot of SRGC members and Forumists at both of them ( Well, you will at the Frit group too, we  forumists get everywhere, you know!!)
 Blackpool and Hexham are the two shows that alternate year by year between SRGC and AGS rules so you should be able to see both Forrest medal and  Farrer medal plants! It should make an easier travel plan for you than trying to get up to Dunblane......for the Stirling show on the 19th and back down for the Frit. meeting ... that would be more  driving than I would care to do.  ;)

As I've said in the other thread...remember to carry a jar of salmon to let the Forumists recognise you !! You'll  easily tell who they arte.... they'll be the ones with the knives and forks.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:13:22 PM by Maggi Young »

claykoplin

• Point Barrow Alaska
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 05:33:37 AM »
Ah the best laid plans.  A family situation prevented travel this spring.  The silver lining is that we will have more vacation time next spring and won't be trying to cram so much vacation into such a small window.  First bulbs have pushed through the fringes of the 1/2 meter of snow still on the ground and the eyrthronium sibericum have buds peaking out.  I guess spring is coming to Alaska at long last.
in Cordova, Alaska

SusanS

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 06:21:02 PM »
That explains it ....  despite keeping a look out at both Blackpool and Hexham shows, Darren and I failed to spot a man clutching a jar of salmon.  :)   ;)

Sorry that you were unable to make the trip this year Clay, but just think of all the fun you can have planning next years.  ;D

Darren's t'other half

claykoplin

• Point Barrow Alaska
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »
For Sure - and next spring won't be riddled with work conflicts.  My consolation is that bulbs from my very first SRGC exchange in 2004 are blooming for the first time this spring.  I have finally reached that magic moment where I will have new bulbs blooming from seed each year.  Ironically, bulbs from 2006 and 2007 seed are also blooming/near blooming - I reduced the years of bloom time from seed as I improved my cultivation techniques through careful memorization of each and every Bulb Log.
in Cordova, Alaska

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal