We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trees in parks and gardens 2011  (Read 19624 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Trees in parks and gardens 2011
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »
Another (better) Magnolia x wieseneri, a M. acuminata subchordata, and my all time favourite Magnolia wilsonii (nice fragrance,nice foliage too.)

Fabulous to see and imagine the smell Giles  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Knud

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2011, 10:52:15 PM »
A ten+ year old Pinus aristata, characterised by the resin flecs on the needles. I have this one in the rock garden. I read somewhere that they mature into magnificent trees after a few thousand years, but that they were not much of a garden tree the first 200-300 years. It is more likely that it will succumb to lowland life before it reaches 100, - but that will do me.

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2011, 11:00:28 PM »
Some flowering shrubs. I believe the names of the Syringa and Viburnum are right,
 but if someone means that they are not, I would be happy to know:                                 

Syringa villosae Minuet?                             
Syringa villosae Agnes Smith                           
Viburnum plicatum Cascade? 1                         
Viburnum plicatum Cascade? 2     
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »
We have a Pinus aristata  in our front garden, I don't know if you remember it, Knud?
I'm trying to think how old it must be now...probably planted some time around 1985.
 It is around 5m high and the spread of the branches at the base is almost my arm span, say around 1.5. I am very fond of it... and it is giving a lot of pleasure, even at it's  (for a bristlecone pine) very young age. I don't supppose it will be here in two thousand years, either... but it's a nice thought!  
Will try to remember to get a photo tomorrow .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Knud

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
We have a Pinus aristata  in our front garden, I don't know if you remember it, Knud?
I'm trying to think how old it must be now...probably planted some time around 1985.
 It is around 5m high and the spread of the branches at the base is almost my arm span, say around 1.5. 

Yes, I do remember it, Maggi. The height and spread of your aristata tell me I may have to move my rock garden in twenty years time. I guess one should be careful with trees in rock gardens, but it is so tempting to include slow growing ones. We have several small aristatas, in troughs and in pots. Some will eventually go into the garden proper.

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2011, 12:00:11 AM »
One of the most obliging things about Pines is their willingness to grow for many years in pots.... meaning that even a tiny garden can enjoy a real tree! Marvelous trees!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2011, 12:16:14 AM »
A superb x wieseneri Giles. Nothing beats it for the fragrance of the tropics and so hard to describe.  Can you imagine one with a thousand flowers?
johnw
Well, if I try really hard! The only one I know is in Nymans Garden in Sussex. Although it's a fairly big tree, it never seems to have many flowers & they are not always on the lowest branches. Frustrating, because the scent is fantastic.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »
Enkianthus campanulatus     Unfortunately this doesn't flower very freely with me, possibly because it's in too much shade.  Rather than risk moving it I'll try striking some cuttings this summer.
Enkianthus chinensis
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

arillady

« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2011, 10:42:48 AM »
The syringia Agnes Smith would go well with the found rose here which is named "Agnes Smith" after the grave on which it was found. The same unknown rose is an unknown in California too.
Have attached two of our river red gums with the late afternoon sun highlighting them. The first is in front of our house and the other is over the creek in the paddock. It had a swing on it for many years until the rope finally gave way.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2011, 12:14:45 PM »
For white bark you can't beat Betula jacquemontii, some forms are much better than others and this looks like a good one.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2011, 02:32:16 PM »
Magnolia sieboldii 'Genesis'

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2011, 10:54:41 PM »
The Magnolia is rather lovely. A friend in our Group is especially interested in trees and shrubs and has quite a collection of magnolias, but also some other fascinating species such as Pterostyrax hispida. In our garden the real star must be Cornus controversa 'Variegata', now becoming quite a sizeable specimen.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2011, 08:30:57 AM »
Lovely plants Tim, does the Pterostyrax hispida have a scent?  We once visited a garden where Cornus controversa 'Variegata' was planted at the foot of a considerable bank, when we visited it was in flower and it was wonderful to see the flowers at eye height as we came down the side.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
No scent that I noticed, though it's a bit of a windy site. The most impressive Cornus I have seen is at Abbotsbury Garden, and like the one you mentioned you could look at it from a higher point. If I had a photo I would show the specimen of Myrtus luma at Mt. Usher Garden which is one of the finest trees I've ever seen! Our small specimen at home was badly damaged by this last winter.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2011, 03:33:10 PM »
For white bark you can't beat Betula jacquemontii, some forms are much better than others and this looks like a good one.

johnw
John this my favourite tree,i have been told there is a purple leaved form does anybody know if this is true.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal