We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Meconopsis in winter  (Read 3008 times)

Roma

Meconopsis in winter
« on: November 04, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »
The monocarpic Meconopsis produce wonderful rosettes which look good throughout winter.  The Meconopsis superba is a self-sown seedling from a single plant and is 2 or 3 years old. ;D
I can't remember if the little furry one is napaulensis or regia.  I think I bought it and it spent too long in a pot.  i will have to cover it to protect it from winter wet as the last really furry one I had died in its second winter.
The Meconopsis wallichii are from seed sown in January 2009 and planted out this year.
I have planted them too close together, but space is limited and I had to evict a few large hellebores to get any space at all 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
Re: Meconopsis in winter
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:05:55 PM »
Hi
They look very fine! I find thoses beautiful rosettes always exciting. It's such a perfect sight, and then comes the the pleasure of flowering.
I think the second one is rather napaulensis.
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

angie

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:03:10 PM »
Hi Roma

Your Meconopsis is looking good. I like the fluffy rosettes, l would have them even if they never flowered.
How are you? Are you getting about now.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Roma

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »
the deciduous Meconopsis are growing fast with the warmer weather we have been getting recently.  This was grown from seed as 'Pink Perennial Hybrid.  It has not flowered for me yet so I do not know what the flowers are like but the leaf rosette is beautiful.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal