We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 266079 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #1065 on: March 04, 2020, 12:19:55 AM »
I also have some warm germinators going on, all the others are still under snow outdoors. I should take more pictures soon.
For now, from the beginning of my Fritillaria collection (future) :)

Fritillaria atropurpurea, stratified 2 months in the fridge first.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #1066 on: March 04, 2020, 12:32:12 AM »
Gabriela, what do you mean temperature wise warm? 15 ºC, 20ºC or warmer? Do you use bottom heat plus artificial light, during your winter now? If I understood correctly, the same procedure could be by moving ahead in the season and achieved  by simply cold stratifying two months later in the fridge and use the natural warmth/lighting outside in late spring or even during the summer. Thanks in advance in clarifying this for me. I have quite a few Frits awaiting in my SRGC seedex packets and I'm a step behind you with the "future" collection.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #1067 on: March 04, 2020, 02:19:51 AM »
Thanks, Gabriela.  I had recorded 3 instances from this forum of Bukiniczia germination. Two were warm, one was cold.  The cold was the only one with enough info to determine if it was an anomaly or not, and according to the poster, supposedly well over half had come up.  This is why I tried both ways (and I had enough seed).  I love to experiment.

Your pic of the seed could easily be mistaken for acantholimon seed.  both in Plumbaginaceae.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:24:54 AM by Rick R. »
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #1068 on: March 04, 2020, 05:44:40 PM »
Rick... really very informative for me to know your exact specifications of the different temperature phases. I'm afraid I don't have any way of getting the many pots to warm this time of year. I would look in late autumn and winter and have to wait for warmer temperatures ... because all the pots are outdoors ... ...but covered.

Gabriela

« Reply #1069 on: March 04, 2020, 08:55:40 PM »
Thanks, Gabriela.  I had recorded 3 instances from this forum of Bukiniczia germination. Two were warm, one was cold.  The cold was the only one with enough info to determine if it was an anomaly or not, and according to the poster, supposedly well over half had come up.  This is why I tried both ways (and I had enough seed).  I love to experiment.

Your pic of the seed could easily be mistaken for acantholimon seed.  both in Plumbaginaceae.

Yes, Acantholimon is very similar with Bukiniczia seeds wise, and also germination failures wise.
Experimenting is more than good, just that in case I know for sure a certain species germinates at warm, if the seeds are good, then I like to emphasize it. Many people keep getting frustrated by trying this and that from what they are reading, without realizing the problem are the seeds not the germination practices.

Same goes for many species in Fam. Asteraceae, sowing chaff will never lead to germination no matter if you try it warm or cold. This is a joke...but a sad one.
Likewise, germination rates are irrelevant for species where there is known low seed set.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #1070 on: March 04, 2020, 09:10:29 PM »
Gabriela, what do you mean temperature wise warm? 15 ºC, 20ºC or warmer? Do you use bottom heat plus artificial light, during your winter now? If I understood correctly, the same procedure could be by moving ahead in the season and achieved  by simply cold stratifying two months later in the fridge and use the natural warmth/lighting outside in late spring or even during the summer. Thanks in advance in clarifying this for me. I have quite a few Frits awaiting in my SRGC seedex packets and I'm a step behind you with the "future" collection.
Arturo

Yes Arturo, you can start stratifying in the fridge in advance by counting backwards and then sow outdoors.
In my case, I obtain an extended growing season by using the indoor lights, which is important for some species. And I noticed I can take better care especially of the monocots. Sowing outdoors safely would be possible only in May when there is too much to do at once.

I never used bottom heat. All pots are under fluorescent lights, around 20C daytime and 17C nighttime. I mostly start the warm germinators like this, with Fritillaria I wanted to see how much stratification few species would require. F. affinis is also sown now, also F. pudica.

As per The Bulb Despot instructions :) sow superficial, the seedlings will push the bulb to their desired depth.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:12:00 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #1071 on: March 04, 2020, 10:20:08 PM »
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

hamparstum

« Reply #1072 on: March 05, 2020, 11:32:01 PM »
Thanks Gabriela and Rick! IY's log is very informative and it is always a wonderful exercise to go over and over the detailed ( but very simple) steps. The rest of us we are very blessed to have here at the SRGC  a "bulb despot" so prolific and generous with in imo  is invaluable. Gabriela in her ways is following his example, in her again, very informative blog of which I'm a regular viewer.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Gabriela

« Reply #1073 on: March 06, 2020, 12:35:10 AM »
Oh, thanks Arturo (blushing here...). Ian Young is a true inspiration and for generations to come I hope.
In any case, I am blaming him for starting to grow various 'bulbs' from seeds :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

hamparstum

« Reply #1074 on: March 06, 2020, 12:40:01 AM »
Although I'm a senior in age of both you (and Ian Y), by simply starting and following your steps I've regained a sort of teenager intrepidity! That's what seeds do to us! ;D
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Gabriela

« Reply #1075 on: March 07, 2020, 01:09:53 AM »
Young at heart Arturo, that's all that matters.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leucogenes

« Reply #1076 on: March 07, 2020, 12:32:05 PM »
I am especially happy about the successful germination of Chaenactis douglasii. The wild seeds are from a particularly small specimen...

Tristan_He

« Reply #1077 on: March 08, 2020, 12:51:48 PM »
Seedlings are starting to move this spring. Here are some Mecs, from the Meconopsis group seed exchange

M. sp. ex Min Shan - don't know much about this one!

M. balangensis

M. balangensis var. atrata. Pleased about these as I haven't had good germination in the past. Hopefully I can get some to flowering!

and also Codonopsis grey-wilsonii from the same source.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:03:16 PM by Tristan_He »

Tristan_He

« Reply #1078 on: March 08, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »
These are seeds from Michal Rejsek, who I bought from for the first time last autumn. So far results are encouraging.

Gagea lutea

Lilium carniolicum, and a potful of L. albanicum in the background.

Gentiana clusii, a bit slow so far but I expect more will come as it warms up.

Hieracum intybaceum and Leucanthemopsis alpina, both sown just a couple of weeks ago. Trifolium badium and Anthyllis aurea are also coming.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:01:33 PM by Tristan_He »

Leucogenes

« Reply #1079 on: March 08, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
Hey Tristan

Great seedlings. I see very nice species on your labels.

Again, things are progressing nicely...

Bloomeria crocea var. aurea
Dianthus webbianus
Townsendia condensata
Balsamorhiza hookeri
Lewisia  nevadensis "Pink"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal