We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 266651 times)

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #1035 on: August 19, 2019, 12:11:36 AM »
Lewisia rediviva

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:23:19 AM by Rick R. »
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #1036 on: August 23, 2019, 12:49:22 PM »
Iris histrioides germinating from AGS Seedex seed sown in 2006!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #1037 on: August 24, 2019, 02:29:16 AM »
16 years....
Shouldn't there be some kind of award for that kind of patience?
Rick Rodich

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1038 on: August 24, 2019, 11:45:34 PM »
There should indeed! I was given some fresh seed of I. histrioides 'Major' early last year. I sowed immediately in the garden itself and had excellent germination an a couple of months. When I lifted the little bulbs to pot them on, they were a good centimetre in diameter and 1.5 tall. I think it was because with soil under them there were no restrictions on their growing room.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #1039 on: August 25, 2019, 02:57:31 AM »
My most recent planting (and the only successful one) of Iris histriodes came up in the second season.  But they didn't grow nearly that much!  :( 

Isn't it interesting, the little hook at the top of the first leaf....
Rick Rodich

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #1040 on: August 25, 2019, 04:05:37 PM »
My most recent planting (and the only successful one) of Iris histriodes came up in the second season....
Isn't it interesting, the little hook at the top of the first leaf....

Rick,
I had to go back to the full sized image of mine to check if it had that little hook and it appears to be there!
Here's the first signs of germination on the pot of Bellevalia tabriziana sown in April last year, a kind gift from Ashley
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #1041 on: September 09, 2019, 12:47:23 PM »
This iris didn't take as long as the Iris histrioides  ;)
Seed from Marcus Harvey in 2017 (per kind favour of Jacqui) of Iris wilmottiana sown in April 2017, 3 germinating this week! :)
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

sippa

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #1042 on: September 28, 2019, 11:41:26 PM »

Magnar,

I have a white glacidium,  I will send you seed if you like.  They are just about ready now.

Marianne Kuchel
Fairlee VT
Marianne gardening in Vermont, USA

Roma

« Reply #1043 on: January 18, 2020, 03:26:33 PM »
No photos but but cutting off hellebore leaves today I found  newly germinated seedlings of hellebores (x hybrida) and Tulipa sprengeri.  I was a bit slow with the dead heading last year.  Crawling under Rosa 'Nevada' and Berberis 'Rose Glow' isn't much fun.  Then there's Chaenomeles 'Nicoline' which is really vicious.  She's covered in buds so I can't cut her back just now and I never seem to find the time later.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ruweiss

« Reply #1044 on: February 01, 2020, 08:30:34 PM »
Quite early - Eranthis pinnatifida, sown in April 2019
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Tomte

« Reply #1045 on: February 02, 2020, 10:07:52 PM »
Rudi, yours are quite advanced. My latest batch just starts peeking out of the ground.
But I was amazed to see that most of my first sowing in 2017 produced a flower this year. The biggest one in the rear is the one plant I started with, unfortunately a little harassed by the Cyclamen coum which has monstrous leaves this year (it stayed in deep shade for a little too long in autumn).

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:02:41 PM by Maggi Young »
Tom S.
Upper Bavaria close to Munich, on 700 m

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #1046 on: February 08, 2020, 02:23:12 PM »
Lewisia rediviva newly germinated. There are some pictures posted by Rick, but there is no mention of the date of sowing/treatment.

I found the seeds  germinating after 1 month of cold (above 0C) in the garage (had the intention to put the pot outside but not necessary anymore). After sowing them in January, I kept them in the house for + one week, like I usually do with all winter sowings.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #1047 on: February 08, 2020, 05:51:57 PM »
The pics I posted are here:  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6490.msg406462#msg406462
They were all given 3 weeks of warm before being in the garage for a week, then placed outside in Minnesota mid February (0 to -20°C).  They sprouted in Apr-May in the 4°C range. 

As with just about any seed that is cold germinating, with my outside conditions I get the best germination in my outside pots when all the snow is gone (but frost has not left the ground), and then a new snow covers the pots for a few days to a week.  The colder your climate is, the more compressed is the spring.  I would imagine for the bulk of the readers here, this kind of condition practically happens all winter long.

As one might expect, rediviva seems to be quicker to respond to 4C than other Lewisia species.  If they get their cold treatment in my fridge set barely above freezing, I need to start checking them in one week, as most will have  begun sprouting within two weeks.

I think the longer warm pretreatment of 3 weeks gives them a faster jump start.

Rick Rodich

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #1048 on: February 08, 2020, 10:57:56 PM »
Thanks Rick.
I also prefer to keep the sowings outdoors and have them germinating in April/May in a 'normal' fashion. Unfortunately this years there was a lack of snow in Dec and Jan. too, only lately we got reliable snow cover. So I didn't get to put everything out.

Luckily that I sow warm germinating species indoors about this time, so they can get a jump in growth by May; I'll have the Lewisia under lights indoors. We'll see how that goes.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

CRSHEP0

« Reply #1049 on: February 09, 2020, 06:19:32 AM »
When our refrigerator broke down, we spent three weeks with ice chests deciding which one (go figure, my husband, John).  I saw one that had a full drawer that you could set to any type of cold temperature, C or F.  We got it that day! I am trying Lewisia C. alba and white, in a moist paper towel, and kept in plastic zip lock this year at 4C. My husband does check the temp reading, because of warantee.  I just checked, no germination, but, I will move outside and acclimate slowly. Cecile  Sorry, no photos, I can't understand how to upload pictures. I have an I phone 8s, anyone, can you help?
Oh yes, all of my crocus, and got great pots of Narcissius Moon  three different types, thank you Anne.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal