We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 264777 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #1020 on: April 29, 2019, 02:20:15 PM »
Thomas,

There are many documented varieties of Lupinus lepidus. Variety lobbii is a real gem and one of the smaller varieties. There can be issues with predation from insects, slugs and snails outside their native environment.

The seedlings look good. Good luck and may you successfully bring them to blooming age.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #1021 on: April 30, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »
Thomas,

There are many documented varieties of Lupinus lepidus. Variety lobbii is a real gem and one of the smaller varieties. There can be issues with predation from insects, slugs and snails outside their native environment.

The seedlings look good. Good luck and may you successfully bring them to blooming age.  :)

Hi Robert

Lupinus lepidus var. lobbii is a real treasure.  From 8 seeds I could win 7 young plants.  I have countless fantastic photos of this gem from different locations.  My source told me that almost no seeds have been found in the last two years.  Therefore I am very happy about the successful germination.  This form is very variable not only in the growth height...  also the colour is a little bit different.

I could show many more photos of great young plants...  but I don't want to bore the people here.

By the way...  I have many wonderful young plants of Penstemon newberryi var newberryi...  the seeds I got from a friend from northern California... his name is Robert...  maybe you know him...  ;D ;D ;D

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #1022 on: April 30, 2019, 12:13:53 PM »
Hi Robert

I could show many more photos of great young plants...  but I don't want to bore the people here.
By the way...  I have many wonderful young plants of Penstemon newberryi var newberryi...  the seeds I got from a friend from northern California... his name is Robert...  maybe you know him...  ;D ;D ;D

So do I, also from the same source... ;D
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Leucogenes

« Reply #1023 on: May 05, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
The first young plants of this year's sowing were pricked.  More will follow...  hopefully not all at once.

;-)

644348-0

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:36:15 AM by Maggi Young »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1024 on: May 05, 2019, 09:31:29 PM »
Your Lupinus seedlings look very happy and healthy Thomas. And I particularly like the background against which you've photographed them. They'll be wanting some of that rock when you plant them out. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Leucogenes

« Reply #1025 on: May 05, 2019, 09:47:10 PM »
Your Lupinus seedlings look very happy and healthy Thomas. And I particularly like the background against which you've photographed them. They'll be wanting some of that rock when you plant them out. :)

Thank you dear Lesley...

actually I am very grateful for the good quota of this small growing Lupinus. 8 seeds...7 young plants. Also the other seeds germinated very well...luckily not all of them...otherwise it would be too much. With the native NZ I would wish myself of course a larger quota. :-)
...but I will wait patiently.

Until the stones find their actual destination, it will still take some time. I also like this structure very much.

Greetings
Thomas

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1026 on: May 05, 2019, 11:39:44 PM »
Do you belong to NZAGS Thomas? Their seedlist will be out soon and I think there will be some good natives. I was given some seed last month of Aciphylla dobsonii (and a seedling  :)) and I think the collector (Hamish Brown who is President) will have given more to NZAGS for the list.

I had a horrible dream last night about the seed and couldn't think what I had done with it. I dreamed I had lost it somewhere and though I looked everywhere I could think of, I couldn't find it. This morning I went to search my potting shed and found, to my great relief that I had sown it, the day after Hamish gave it to me. We are having a beautiful Indian summer with warm days and cool nights. It should be ideal weather for germination.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:44:34 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Leucogenes

« Reply #1027 on: May 06, 2019, 06:12:31 AM »
Do you belong to NZAGS Thomas? Their seedlist will be out soon and I think there will be some good natives. I was given some seed last month of Aciphylla dobsonii (and a seedling  :)) and I think the collector (Hamish Brown who is President) will have given more to NZAGS for the list.

I had a horrible dream last night about the seed and couldn't think what I had done with it. I dreamed I had lost it somewhere and though I looked everywhere I could think of, I couldn't find it. This morning I went to search my potting shed and found, to my great relief that I had sown it, the day after Hamish gave it to me. We are having a beautiful Indian summer with warm days and cool nights. It should be ideal weather for germination.

Yes, Lesley... I've been a member of NZAGS for three years.  Getting precious seeds from native alpine NZ once a year is a welcome bonus...  but the membership was more for emotional reasons...  After all, NZ's alpine flora was my entry drug into the world of plants.

I hope no medicine will ever be found against this beautiful addiction. 😀

Good luck with the Aciphylla seeds.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #1028 on: May 08, 2019, 06:23:09 AM »
what a beautiful seedling!
 the installation with the fence is against the slugs?

a very amazing sowing by its vigor here with Arisaema tortuosum var helleborifolium: 8 seeds out of 9 sprouts and seedlings more than 10 cm high!
they already produce a second sheet ...

644596-0
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:25:41 AM by Véronique Macrelle »

Leucogenes

« Reply #1029 on: May 08, 2019, 07:54:53 AM »
what a beautiful seedling!
 the installation with the fence is against the slugs?

a very amazing sowing by its vigor here with Arisaema tortuosum var helleborifolium: 8 seeds out of 9 sprouts and seedlings more than 10 cm high!
they already produce a second sheet ...

(Attachment Link)

Vèronique...This net is used for shading...at night it hangs down and keeps the snails away.  This provisional construction does not correspond to the beauty sensation of my better half...but it is effective...you have to set priorities. ;-)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #1030 on: June 23, 2019, 03:21:34 PM »
Cyclamen mirabile sown fresh 3 months ago are now germinating
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #1031 on: July 09, 2019, 05:30:13 PM »
Dryas octopetala and Pulsatilla patens
648373-0

648375-1
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #1032 on: July 10, 2019, 05:41:17 AM »
Both from fresh seed, I presume?
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #1033 on: July 10, 2019, 06:25:32 AM »
Yes. fresh seeds, Dryas cool, outside,
Pulsatilla warm/hot  in day, cool at night in greenhouse, soil without humus.
Bernd
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Leucogenes

« Reply #1034 on: July 26, 2019, 04:24:39 PM »
Here is another attempt to cultivate South Americans...

Leucheria candidissima
Lecanophora ameghinoi

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal