We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 264741 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #960 on: September 18, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »
Muscari pallens from Ashley, sown 27-04-18; first seedling 7-09-18
Scilla libanotica, from Ashley, sown 27-04-18; first seedling 25-08-18
Tulipa ulophylla, from Kurt Vickery, sown 27-03-18; first seedling 12-08-18
Camassia quamash from Goteborg, sown 27-03-18; first seedling 27-08-18
Mertensia lanceolata from Alplains, sown 14-04-18; first seedling 17-05-18
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #961 on: September 18, 2018, 10:09:38 PM »
So sorry Fermi but I think you are having a delusional moment with the seedling. Even allowing for the enlargement of the photo it looks much too big to be Gentiana verna. To be truthful if I saw it in my own seed pot I'd be saying "blast, another gorse (or broom) bush. Hopefully it won't be either of those.

I have quite a lot of experience with both blue and white G. verna, and very recently, with the lovely violet form we saw in the Czech Republic, the seed of which was sent to me by a kindly Dutch gentleman. In all 3 cases and without exception, G. verna germinates for me in August. If it isn't sown by February (when summer is hottest) it doesn't germinate until August in the following year and much less of it!  Unfortunately my final plant of the white died this last summer so there will be no seed for a couple of years until last year's seedlings grow enough to flower, hopefully next year. I'll send you seed as soon as possible. Blue too if you like. That's in full bud now but, needless to say, won't be out for the OAGG show on the 29th Sept.

My camera has reached the end of its life and I hope to get another pre-Christmas but in the meantime I'm using my phone camera an haven't worked out how to put its photos here but if I post a couple to Facebook, Maggi may work her magic and put them here.

I don't remember where my Muscari pallens came from but it is my favourite of the genus, with lavender-blue flowers on deep red stems, a lovely thing. You will like it very much.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:39:01 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #962 on: September 19, 2018, 11:00:09 AM »
Lesley's  Gentiana verna seedling pots ......

Gentiana verna

Gentiana verna - white Burren form
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rob-Rah

« Reply #963 on: September 26, 2018, 09:03:33 PM »
A few SA bulb seedlings. Last year's but a relief to see them up again (mostly) this year :)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #964 on: October 04, 2018, 04:30:16 PM »
I just spotted it in the seedings... Oxytropis sericea. 🙄

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #965 on: October 05, 2018, 06:38:22 AM »
it's always nice to rediscover a forgotten seed pot, and that growing, is not it?

here to encourage sowers:
 here is a pot of Tricyrtis hirta sown this spring. the plant, although still miniature (10 cm high), already blooming this autumn.626033-0626031-1
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:21:57 AM by Véronique Macrelle »

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #966 on: October 05, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »
I'd just seen a post by Janis of Crocus gilanicus on Sept 29 and when I checked the seed-pots the next day I found 2 tiny green spears! (pic1)
Today I found another half a dozen! They obviously picked up on the "vibe" from that great crocus grower in Latvia ;D
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #967 on: October 05, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »
Narcissus nivalis just germinating having been sown 27-04-2018.
When I visited Cork a few years ago I had taken some seeds to swap with Ashley. However I found that I'd inadvertently brought along some bulblets of Narcissus nivalis  :o which I'd grown from seed from Rafa. As I couldn't risk taking them back into Australia I gave them to Ashley and later he sent me seed (I presume from those bulbs) which have now germinated! A bit circuitous but once again I have Narcissus nivalis growing ;D
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #968 on: October 05, 2018, 08:32:50 PM »
Yes that seed was from your bulbs Fermi, so maybe leave them at home next time you travel  ;) ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #969 on: October 06, 2018, 07:24:10 PM »
I just spotted it in the seedings... Oxytropis sericea. 🙄
That is wondrous-looking rock in the background. Like when you make hokey pokey. You've made the toffee and then you stir in the baking soda and it looks just like that when you spread it out on a baking sheet. Then when it's cold you break it up and eat it!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Leucogenes

« Reply #970 on: October 07, 2018, 10:41:21 AM »
That is wondrous-looking rock in the background. Like when you make hokey pokey. You've made the toffee and then you stir in the baking soda and it looks just like that when you spread it out on a baking sheet. Then when it's cold you break it up and eat it!

That's right... Lesley.

I know this sweet delicacy from my childhood. The resemblance is amazing.
I bought these stones in an aquarium shop. They are actually used to create terrariums. I like the rough structure and the colour. They are slightly alkaline and come from Iran.

My plan is to construct a roofed area for plants that love dryness. Until then they will serve as a background for photos outside the rock garden.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #971 on: October 08, 2018, 03:38:38 PM »
Clematis integrifolia 'Mongolian Bells' - very pleased to see these!
When we were at the 3rd International Czech Rock Garden Conference Panayoti Kelaidis showed a pic of these growing in Denver and said that they were part of the range of plants released by the DBG in conjunction with a commercial nursery. I was rapt to see seed available on last year's NARGS Seedex :D
I hope I get get them to flowering size safely!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #972 on: October 26, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »
Alstroemeria patagonica from SRGC Seedex 2013, sown 7-07-2013.
I noticed a shoot on 4-10-2018! Is it true to name?
Any hints about the best way to get it to survive and flower? (does Martin Sheader read this section ???  ;D )
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Leucogenes

« Reply #973 on: October 26, 2018, 04:06:17 PM »
Alstroemeria patagonica from SRGC Seedex 2013, sown 7-07-2013.
I noticed a shoot on 4-10-2018! Is it true to name?
Any hints about the best way to get it to survive and flower? (does Martin Sheader read this section ???  ;D )
cheers
fermi

Wow... I congratulate you on this botanical treasure... Fermi. The fact that you managed to germinate after such a long time gives me courage and hope. I also have some extravagant seeds in pots where nothing is to be seen yet. So you should never give up. Your patience has been rewarded.

My research so far says...sunny, dry, permeable sandy substrate. Opportunity some water. Retreats after flowering. The rhizomes can grow very deep into the soil.

But Mr. Martin Sheader can certainly provide better information.

In the appendix a picture from the past.  However, I buy this specimen as an adult plant.

Further much success...
Thomas

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #974 on: October 26, 2018, 06:33:19 PM »
Fermi, I would suggest pricking it into a deep pot. The rhyzomes are very brittle and difficult to move about later. Most Alstroemerias live in open screes in full sun. Exceptionally my A.aurantium needs some dappled shade. ( Its an open woodland edge species).
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal