We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 266727 times)

James Cheshire

Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #915 on: May 09, 2018, 02:05:19 AM »
I couldn't find any pictures of Hydrangea seedlings online, so here's H. arborescens. About two weeks from sowing to germination, and maybe a hair over 1 mm wide at the moment.
James M. Cheshire - Granville, Ohio, USA - zone 6a.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #916 on: May 09, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
I couldn't find any pictures of Hydrangea seedlings online, so here's H. arborescens. About two weeks from sowing to germination, and maybe a hair over 1 mm wide at the moment.
Faster to germinate than I would have thought - just one of today's lessons for me!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #917 on: May 12, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »
616060-0

616062-1

Alonsoa warscewiczii
there are mucus glands and an insect remainder
is it known to be a protocarnivorous plant?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:23:33 PM by Maggi Young »

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #918 on: May 15, 2018, 09:36:43 AM »
sometimes a seed changes its pot to germinate in a neighboring pot; it's almost systematic at home with Roscoea, for example!
I suspect some ants that steal or move the seeds ..

is it possible with Aconit? that sometimes explains that there is no germination if we have to keep the pots for a long time.
I have a young plant sprouted in a pot that is not his ... could it be an aconitum, what do you think? it seems to be a ranunculaceae

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #919 on: May 15, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
Veronique, do you have any Delphiniums near by? that is what most resembles in my image memory. Delphs are ranunculaceae.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #920 on: May 15, 2018, 06:15:42 PM »
sometimes a seed changes its pot to germinate in a neighboring pot; it's almost systematic at home with Roscoea, for example!
I suspect some ants that steal or move the seeds ..

is it possible with Aconit? that sometimes explains that there is no germination if we have to keep the pots for a long time.
I have a young plant sprouted in a pot that is not his ... could it be an aconitum, what do you think? it seems to be a ranunculaceae

Roscoea species have seeds with arils Véronique and thus are attractive to ants, like many other such species.
I think Arturo is right, you may have a Delphinium growing in that pot.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #921 on: May 15, 2018, 06:19:29 PM »
Thank you Stefan :) Here is A. anthora growing in Bucegi Massif (SE Carpathian Mts). I never travel that late in the fall to be able to collect seeds.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

sokol

« Reply #922 on: May 16, 2018, 05:21:58 AM »
My pictures were taken in Croatia and the plants were found by chance when we were looking for Fritillaria montana and Lilium carniolicum seeds.
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #923 on: June 10, 2018, 11:24:31 AM »
Galanthus seed received from Ireland sown July last year are on the 'go'. I tipped out a little of the potting mix as you do  ;D  to gain a better appreciation of the numbers germinating .
Thanks Ashley.

Same for G. seed received and sown in 2016 from Finland.... as well as showing a few second year growths . 
Thanks Leena .

618544-2

Cheers Dave.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:41:47 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

François Lambert

« Reply #924 on: June 13, 2018, 12:16:15 PM »
One of the things I have learned from joining the SRGC is that most plants can be propagated from seed, even if you never see any seedlings in your garden, it's just that conditions for germination are not OK in your garden.  So now I experiment from time to time -  and not only with garden ornamentals - and am often delighted with the results.

So, when I saw that my Populus Trichocarpa are releasing their seeds I collected a handfull of the cotton under the trees and have sown these immediately.  That was last Sunday late afternoon.  The seeds need light for germination, so I just placed the cotton on top of a pot filled with sowing compost.  To mimic the natural growing environment of wet river banks the pot was placed in a saucer that I keep filled with water, the seeds received every morning a splash of water from the top also.

We are now Wednesday morning (about 3 days after sowing) and many seeds have already germinated.  An ideal plant for hurried gardeners I would say beating in germination speed any other plant that I know, but not suited to the smaller gardens (even if your garden is indeed very high) and even less for rock gardens.

Probably these seedlings all are hybrids with other poplars because as far as I can see I only have female Populus Trichocarpa growing here.

Anyway, always fun to do  :)
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #925 on: June 13, 2018, 02:47:00 PM »
That was QUICK!!  :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

François Lambert

« Reply #926 on: June 13, 2018, 04:13:18 PM »
It's the kind of tree that doesn't waste any time to grow.  They are the earliest poplars to be in leaf in spring, and the last ones to shed off their leaves in fall.  When young they easily grow 2 meter per year.  I read somewhere that seedlings can grow to more than 50 cm in their first year.

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #927 on: June 13, 2018, 07:06:09 PM »
I would imagine Salix seed would be similar, as their shelf life is extremely short.  I tried once with Salix repens, but no luck.....
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #928 on: June 14, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »
A couple more from SRGC Seedex 2017 sown in April 2018:
Agave harvardiana
Delphinium uliginosum
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

François Lambert

« Reply #929 on: June 14, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »
I would imagine Salix seed would be similar, as their shelf life is extremely short.  I tried once with Salix repens, but no luck.....

There are lots of salix caprea over here and every year their seeds are whirling down in my pots.  They take on average a about 2 weeks to germinate - very slow compared to this poplar - but given the situation they are also sown extremely fresh.  Since the salix seeds are shed off earlier in the year they can afford to be just a bit slower maybe ?  As for germination conditions, they are sitting on top of the soil receiving plenty of light, and as I water the pots regularly they are sitting on a constantly moist soil.

If you sow salix, keep in mind some salix do not resist to be root bound in their pots, neither do they survive a transplantation.  In particular in my experience salix alba, salix fragilis and crossings between these two need in fact to be sown immediately on their final growing place.  Funny enough, those willows can be propagated extremely easily by cuttings.  Salix caprea can be transplanted with a lot of root damage without being harmed.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal