We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 266143 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #825 on: April 30, 2017, 11:26:31 PM »
I am never surprised when expected germination does not take place and especially with some genera such as Iris. Even the common and easy ones can be recalcitrant sometimes. Herbaceous plants though, such as your Aquilegia Hannelore, are perhaps more predictable but if I've learned anything, it is never to throw out pots of seed too early. Last year a single seedling germinated for me of a rare androsace, 3 and a half years after the few seeds were sown. It is now a single rosette about 1cm across.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #826 on: May 01, 2017, 07:26:41 PM »
This is interesting. I sowed S.canadensis from my own seeds in summer 2015 and they are germinating now.

That means you have the 2 year germinator Leena.
I will repeat this year by sowing from both populations at the same time, then we'll know if it was a one time event or it's indeed the genetic effect. The seeds 2016 - germinated 2017 are from a place I usually don't collect but last year I was late on my other site.

I am never surprised when expected germination does not take place and especially with some genera such as Iris. Even the common and easy ones can be recalcitrant sometimes. Herbaceous plants though, such as your Aquilegia Hannelore, are perhaps more predictable but if I've learned anything, it is never to throw out pots of seed too early. Last year a single seedling germinated for me of a rare androsace, 3 and a half years after the few seeds were sown. It is now a single rosette about 1cm across.

You are certainly right Lesley. My question is where to keep all these pots which 'accumulate' from one year to another?  :-\ ::)
Delphinium fissum is another slow and erratic germinator, but worth the wait (seeds sown in 2014)
577062-0
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #827 on: May 01, 2017, 11:18:29 PM »
Ah yes Gabriela, that is the question and I wonder has anyone ever answered it satisfactorily? I am very fortunate (I think) in having nearly an acre to play with though only about half this is "used" space, the rest being left to itself to seed, weed or grow wild however it likes.But in the relatively civilized parts, there are numerous little patches of a few trays in which seeds, both germinated and not, wait the next stage in their complicated and transient lives.

I sow my seeds into 90 or 100mm square plastic pots and house them 20 to a tray, keeping a note in my erstwhile garden book of what is in each tray, the date sown and source of the seed, maybe the number of seeds if there are just a few of something special. I say erstwhile because while I start to record religiously, after a week or two I forget for a couple of days and suddenly the record loses value. Maybe I'll start again or maybe not.

When germination starts I move those pots to a new area where rain/frost/sun/wind can be controlled. (Everything stays outside all through the year) and eventually I get to the stage of "I must get those potted up" or "it's way past time those bulb seedlings were planted out." Bulb seedlings are put in a different place to grow on for a second season but then suddenly they're in their 3rd year and I'm getting further and further behind in my workload.

I look forward to the day when I no longer want to sow seeds or propagate plants. When does that happen, I wonder?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gabriela

« Reply #828 on: May 02, 2017, 06:21:18 PM »
Lesley,
My question was a bit rhetorical but I am very glad you answer it :) I am sure many will read it with great interest.
The seeds are mysterious living things, you may never know when they decide to wake up from dormancy.

Staying organized is very important of course; I do better by keeping photographical records (as long as the pictures are organized in proper folders).

"I look forward to the day when I no longer want to sow seeds or propagate plants. When does that happen, I wonder?" - probably the answer is never?
Once a seed addict... :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #829 on: June 05, 2017, 09:29:55 AM »
We came home last week to find that a few of the pots we'd sown in April had germinations:
1) Asperula orientalis NARGS 2016/17 Surplus Seeds - 17 out of 45 sown 28-04-17;
2) Physaria kingii (as above) -10 of 10 sown! Looking very similar to the Asperula :-\
3) Calochortus luteus - Robert B - 12 of 25 sown 27-04-17;
4) Anemone demissa - Bjorn, China, 2 of 15 sown 21-05-16!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #830 on: June 05, 2017, 12:44:13 PM »
Can someone please have a look at my seedlings of Potentilla nitida and let me know if they look right? The seed is from Majella Larochelle, and I'm sure it's accurately named and carefully collected... immature leaves are often very different from mature, but I'd sleep better if someone confirmed it for me.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #831 on: June 05, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »
Hmm,  bit doubtful myself.... :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jupiter

« Reply #832 on: June 05, 2017, 09:59:20 PM »
Oh dear.. me too Maggie, me too. I'm not giving up hope yet as I can't really imagine how Majella would get it wrong...

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #833 on: June 06, 2017, 01:05:25 AM »
Good Morning Jamus ,
 me too --I remember it growing here several times :it had smaller silvery grey ,hairy leaves . It often appears on the SRGC and AGS seed lists . Better luck next time as it is a beautiful plant .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #834 on: June 06, 2017, 03:55:22 AM »
The winter growth on mine is, yes, very silver and each leaf is made of 3 quite separate leaflets on a reddish stem. I don't think these are right Jamus. That's not to say that whatever it is isn't something good.

Otto what appears regularly on the seedlists may not be true of course. ::)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #835 on: June 06, 2017, 03:57:35 AM »
I am interested to see Potentilla porphyrantha which I've seen described as "a poor man's P. nitida" not because it is less good but because it flowers well and is also a pink with silvery leaves.

Jupiter

« Reply #836 on: June 06, 2017, 05:30:02 AM »
Thanks Otto and Lesley. I have another pot of seed from another source, yet to germinate but fingers crossed... these frosty nights should help to stratify the alpines and stimulate them to move.
Cheers

Gabriela

« Reply #837 on: June 07, 2017, 12:59:03 AM »
I am interested to see Potentilla porphyrantha which I've seen described as "a poor man's P. nitida" not because it is less good but because it flowers well and is also a pink with silvery leaves.

You're very right Lesley, porphyrantha is such a beauty; I had a nice little plant which collapsed in a weird way last year just before flowering, I will try to get it again.
Since I got into this thread - Swertia perennis with an interesting case of tricotyledony:
581650-0

Ornithogalum kochii, not a very great picture but good enough for my records
581652-1

And, a bit pale but I'm sure they'll look better in no time - Gentiana purpurea and a grass - I am keeping everything in case of wild collection :) Thanks Trond :-*
Germination in second year, not an easy one.
581654-2
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #838 on: June 07, 2017, 03:58:42 AM »
Gabriela, I stand to be corrected but I think our friend Cohan F may have had the seed of Pot. porphyrantha from Jellito's in Germany.

Jamus, looking at your seedlings of the asperula I'd be very doubtful about that one too. I've not had any asperula from seed but their size and shape and fleshiness seem at odds somehow with the asperula species we know.  What do you think?

Jupiter

« Reply #839 on: June 07, 2017, 05:15:36 AM »
Not my Asperula seed Lesley, Fermi's! I'm yet to try that Genus.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal