We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 264821 times)

meanie

Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #660 on: May 15, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
Meanie, the seeds don't have to be really fresh. They germinate like cress - warm germinators and need light
Interesting. I've tried several times before and failed. This time the pod was given to me last summer but I forgot about it till December'ish. So they were sown and placed in a sheltered spot outdoors.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #661 on: May 22, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »
Crocus cvijicil seed germinating, the seed came from Marcus.

John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

meanie

« Reply #662 on: May 23, 2016, 12:26:21 PM »
Vestia foetida.............

Abutilon hybrids............

Swainsona formosa seeds were soaked for 24 hours and then started germinating 24 hours later.............
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #663 on: May 24, 2016, 09:17:25 PM »
Exhibit 1: Consoilda ajacis (aka larkspur)
Exhibit 2: Delphinium brunonianum AGS seed exchange
Exhibit 3: Delphinium brunonianum Holubec seed

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #664 on: May 28, 2016, 07:38:13 PM »
Few seedlings images before more thunderstorms:
Jeffersonia diphylla
536289-0

Callirhoe digitata
536291-1

Gillenia trifoliata (syn. Porteranthus)
536293-2

Campanula cochleariifolia (AGS seedex)
536295-3

Geranium gymnocaulon
536297-4
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Carolyn

« Reply #665 on: May 28, 2016, 10:51:19 PM »
Few seedlings images before more thunderstorms:
Jeffersonia diphylla

Gabriella, when did you sow the J. diphylla? I sowed some fresh seeds last summer but they have not germinated yet. We did not have a very cold winter - just a few frosty nights, not much below 0C, I wonder of that is why the seeds failed to germinate? Unfortunately the parent plant - which I only bought last year, also failed to come up. It was planted in a woodland area with trilliums, erythroniums etc, so the right sort of habitat, I imagine. Looks as if I am destined not to be able to enjoy these beautiful flowers.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Gabriela

« Reply #666 on: May 29, 2016, 02:41:51 AM »
Carolyn – I sowed Jeffersonia on 28 Nov.; after collecting, the seeds were kept in slightly moist vermiculite +/- outdoor temp., like I do with most early summer collections. I never have time to sow them right away and there are still overflow pots from spring to deal with.
With many NA spring flowering species, which have immature embryos when the seeds are ready, the problem is not the cold period that they receive, as the common belief goes. They require a certain pattern of warm/cold, and if it’s not appropriate, the embryos remain under-developed and will need another warm/cold period to grow and then germinate (keep your pot).

For  Jeffersonia diphylla it has been found that the embryos need a period at about 28˚C in order to elongate and only afterwards a cold period (4˚C , fridge- like is enough). If they enter the cold period though before reaching a certain size, they will stop growing and need one more cycle warm/cold.

So, in some years the problem is a cold summer actually, which may be your case? And this applies not only to Jeffersonia.
On the contrary, for other species like Hepatica, summer temperatures over 25˚C, can induce the embryos to stagnate in growth.

Fascinating, isn’t it? Sorry I made the answer a bit too long. I hope I’ll have more seeds this year, and it seems warmth won’t be a problem here ;)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Carolyn

« Reply #667 on: May 29, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
Thanks Gabriella, I think you have found the answer. Last "summer" the temperature was about 14 - 16C on most days, and on only a very few days reached 20C. I think I'll put the seed pots in the greenhouse over the summer. Come to think of it, there were some pots of fresh trillium seed which I expected to germinate this spring, but they didn't - probably the cold summer too. I usually keep pots for several years anyway - have just had a nice germination of sanguinaria, sown 2010! And iris hookeriana, sown 2012.
Anyway, we have lovely warm sunshine here this weekend, which is lucky, as we have the garden open for charity. We had lots of visitors yesterday, just in time for the sumptuous meconopsis. There are some advantages to living in a cool damp place!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Gabriela

« Reply #668 on: June 07, 2016, 06:49:33 PM »
A nice surprise yesterday when looking over my a bit neglected seedlings at this time - Trientalis borealis with what it seems like 100% germination.
From a batch of older seeds (2013) - my label says that I gave them a GA3 treatment at the end of January, and put them outside over the winter.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #669 on: June 10, 2016, 11:46:23 PM »
Ophiopogon umbraticola
I only had nine fresh seeds to work with, so I remove the pericarp of four berries before planting (right pot), and left five intact (left pot).  Since I am not sure if the species is winter hardy here, they went into the fridge Nov 17, and came out April 10, almost 4 months.  The separated ones emerged in 15 days, the others are just now emerging, 46 days later.

Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

johnstephen29

« Reply #670 on: June 15, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »
Here are some seeds that have started to germinate, first is Lillium Formosanum Pricei, can't remember where I got the seed from. The next one is narcissus Bulbocodium, these are rhs wisley seed, I was at wisley last spring for the cyclamen society show and they had a grassy bank full of these, a really beautiful site.

Lillium Formosanum Pricei by johnstephen29, on Flickr

I posted the above item in March last year, the other day I was checking over the L. formosanum pricei and I was surprised to see flower buds on all three plants that had germinated, is this species normally this fast to reach flowering size?

Narcissus Bulbocodium by johnstephen29, on Flickr

Tristan_He

« Reply #671 on: June 15, 2016, 10:21:48 PM »
Hi John, yes I think this lily is well known for being very quick from seed. Unfortunately I think it is rather virus prone so it is best to resow regularly so you always have fresh stock.

Best, Tristan

johnstephen29

« Reply #672 on: June 15, 2016, 10:59:39 PM »
Cheers Tristan for the information, I'll make sure I collect some seed. Good luck for Wales tomorrow.

Botanica

« Reply #673 on: June 16, 2016, 07:27:54 PM »
Seeds of Spergularia rubra collected last September

Semiaquilegia ecalcarata

Gernanium species

Unknown

Tristan_He

« Reply #674 on: June 23, 2016, 07:27:23 PM »
Here are some seedlings I'm pretty excited about - Thermopsis barbata, from Bjornar's seed (trillium.no).

An update on this one. I was convinced they had all rotted off over winter, but all have emerged now - very late, one is still only just above ground. They are still very small, but still alive at least. I've now planted them all out where they will hopefully establish. Not expecting flowers anytime soon though!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal