We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 266169 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #555 on: January 13, 2016, 10:46:30 AM »
Galanthus elwesii from Vojtech Holubec

I have also this germinating now (pot is inside). :)
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #556 on: January 20, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »
My first seedlings this year - a bit too early to put up the light stand but they are very special for me.
Aristolochia steupii

Helleborus purpurascens (wild coll.)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:13:45 PM by Maggi Young »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Roma

« Reply #557 on: January 24, 2016, 10:52:34 PM »
Cold frame was flooded then frozen.  The seed pots were not submerged but were sitting in water for a while.  I had a proper look yesterday and found this pot of Geranium farreri.  Looks like the slugs found it first.  I hope at least a few survive.
I see Meconopsis prattii and M. rudis are also germinating.  Silene hookeri ssp. bolanderii has also started and has joined Geranium farreri in the greenhouse where I hope they will be safe from slugs. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #558 on: January 25, 2016, 11:32:31 AM »
That's the problem with  mild weather - too many slugs and snails over -wintering- and hungry!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gabriela

« Reply #559 on: January 28, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »
Cold frame was flooded then frozen.  The seed pots were not submerged but were sitting in water for a while.  I had a proper look yesterday and found this pot of Geranium farreri.  Looks like the slugs found it first.  I hope at least a few survive.
I see Meconopsis prattii and M. rudis are also germinating.  Silene hookeri ssp. bolanderii has also started and has joined Geranium farreri in the greenhouse where I hope they will be safe from slugs. 

Sorry to see your little Geraniums devoured by slugs. My problems with the lights I use indoors are quite different, but sometimes the end results are similar  :(
For now I can rejoice in watching a couple of Aristolochia sp. growing-up. Pure serepindity made it that I have them so it's even more exciting!

Aristolochia iberica
516241-0
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Tristan_He

« Reply #560 on: January 31, 2016, 11:52:09 PM »
516793-0
Meconopsis baileyi - from Magnar Aspaker's seed.

516795-1
Narcissus cyclamineus collected from the garden. I love this little daff, and why it isn't much more widely grown is beyond me as it's quick and easy from seed. I have two forms of this species, which I call the 'Aberconwy' and the 'Crug' forms (after the nurseries I bought them from). The former is a good 2-3 weeks earlier in flower, has a more flared and slightly longer corolla, and seems to increase better for me.

Cfred72

« Reply #561 on: February 02, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »
J'ai quelques pots de semi qui germent maintenant aussi

516936-0
Allium purpureum ; Semés en septembre 2015, ils ont commencé à germer 15 jours après sur plusieurs mois.

516938-1
Crocosmia ; Ils ont été semés dans la serre en automne. Ils ont germé rapidement. Certains ont eu trop froid avec la gelée dans la serre il y à 15 jours.

516940-2
Hyacinthus multiflora ; Germés dehors. Rentrés dans la serre aujourd'hui.

516942-3
Eremurus ; Germés dehors. Rentrés dans la serre aujourd'hui.

516944-4
Eucomis bicolore ; Ils ont été semés dans la serre en automne. Ils ont germé rapidement. Certains ont eu trop froid avec la gelée dans la serre il y à 15 jours.

I also have some seed pots  germinating now

516936-0
Allium purpureum; Sown in September 2015, they began to germinate  15 days  ago after several months.

516938-1
Crocosmia; They were sown in the greenhouse in the fall. They germinate quickly. Some were too cold with ice in the greenhouse there for 15 days.

516940-2
Hyacinthus multiflora; Sprouted out. Back in the greenhouse today.

516942-3
Eremurus; Sprouted out. Back in the greenhouse today.

516944-4
Eucomis bicolor; They were sown in the greenhouse in the fall. They germinate quickly. Some had too cold with ice in the greenhouse there for 15 days.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:56:48 PM by Maggi Young »
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Cfred72

« Reply #562 on: February 02, 2016, 02:52:14 PM »
516946-0
Leucojum vernum ; Semés en septembre 2015. Ils ont germé au jardin. Je les ai rentrés aujourd'hui dans la serre.

516948-1
Muscari non identifiés ; J'ai récolté les graines sur plantes au jardin mais je n'ai pas noté le nom quand ils étaient fleuris. Semés en septembre 2015. Ils ont germé au jardin. Je les ai rentrés aujourd'hui dans la serre.

516950-2
Thulbagia violacea ; Semées en septembre 2015 dans la serre, elles ont germé très rapidement (15 jours)

516952-3
Tulipa d'origines botaniques non identifiées ; J'ai récolté les graines sur plantes au jardin mais je n'ai pas noté le nom quand ils étaient fleuris. Semés en septembre 2015. Ils ont germé au jardin. Je les ai rentrés aujourd'hui dans la serre.

Leucojum vernum; Sown in September 2015. They germinated  in the garden. I have returned them today in the greenhouse.

516948-1
Muscari unidentified; I harvested the seeds of plants in the garden but I did not notice the name when they were flowering. Sown in September 2015. They germinated outside. I have returned  them today to the greenhouse.

516950-2
Thulbagia violacea; Sown in September 2015 in the greenhouse, they germinated very quickly (15 days)

516952-3
Tulipa unidentified botanical origins; I harvested the seeds of plants in the garden but I did not notice the name when they were flowering. Sown in September 2015. They germinated in the garden. I have returned them today to the greenhouse.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:58:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

ruweiss

« Reply #563 on: February 07, 2016, 09:25:23 PM »
Pterocephalus pinardii ex Ala Dag/ Turkey,sown 2weeks ago
and placed in the open garden.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Gabriela

« Reply #564 on: February 09, 2016, 08:02:24 PM »
This one is for Johnw - Podophyllum delavayi just starting to germinate  :-*
517994-0

Actaea pachypoda fo. rubrocarpa
517996-1

Sanguisorba canadensis
517998-2
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Erik F.

« Reply #565 on: February 10, 2016, 07:57:10 PM »
Hi Lesley,

Do you remember how you got your Gypsophila aretioides seed to germinate? Cold? Warm? Outside? Under grow lights?

Cheers,

Erik

Here are some germinating now but also including some which germinated several months ago (...) Gypsophila aretioides

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #566 on: February 11, 2016, 11:17:31 AM »
Pelargonium quinquelobatum from SRGC Seed Ex 2015/16 and germinating at room temperature within a week of sowing.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #567 on: February 11, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »
A good start Matt, and improving light levels now should help them to grow on strongly. 
To my eyes the flower colour of this species is very hard to describe (or photograph) accurately because it depends on the light and angle.  It makes me wonder what the natural pollinator sees. 
A nice plant though.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gabriela

« Reply #568 on: February 11, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »
Hi Lesley,

Do you remember how you got your Gypsophila aretioides seed to germinate? Cold? Warm? Outside? Under grow lights?

Cheers,
Erik

Erik - until Lesley will answer, you may want to know that last year G. imbricata (which also goes by G. aretioides var. imbricata) germinated very well in late spring after being outside under snow. I sowed somewhere in late January and I had the whole flat under snow until late spring (I am sure you remember last winter  ;) It also put up a nice, compact growth throughout the summer.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #569 on: February 12, 2016, 06:01:18 PM »
Capnoides sempervirens, the rock harlequin - exponential growing rate since last week:
518242-0
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal