We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 264830 times)

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #495 on: August 18, 2015, 05:10:25 AM »
Lots happening in the nursery at the moment. Exciting times! Here are a few notable things, including Fritillarias which were sown 17 months ago! Nice to be rewarded finally with signs of life.

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #496 on: August 18, 2015, 05:12:40 AM »

and Lilium pardalinum. Lilium pumilum seed sown at the same time germinated much quicker.

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #497 on: August 18, 2015, 12:04:22 PM »
Nice to see the frit seedings finally rewarding your patience, Jamus.

Less patience required here with me:

Cyclamen intaminatum - my own seed sown on 29 May 2015, two up so far but about 40 seeds in this 9cm pot
Romulea tempskyana - from Oron and only sown on 09 July 2015 (R.linaresii graeca from same source/sowing date is also showing)
Albuca shawii and "Albuca shawii - yellow" - from the SRGC SeedEx this year, sown in January and both germinating within days of each other. Not sure what the difference is though, as I thought A. shawii was yellow?
Anemone sylvestris - don't think I've shown these before, also from SeedEx this year and making fine plants already.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:17:32 PM by Matt T »
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

melager

« Reply #498 on: August 19, 2015, 09:27:06 AM »
good to see your seedling Jamus and Mat I will have to start putting up pictures as well, lots happening here in New Zealand with many seeds germinating

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #499 on: August 24, 2015, 04:52:34 PM »
Maybe not germinating now, but some nice plants coming along.

1.) One of a few selected clonal forms of Arctostaphylos from an outing last fall. This one is most likely a natural hybrid - A. viscida x patula. Bright red new growth in the spring and a good plant habit. Ready for planting out and trial in the garden.

2.) Another from an outing, Ceanothus prostratus. There is color variation in the flowers from pale lavender-blue to deep lavender-blue. This clone is of the deep lavender-blue persuasion. This is not the easiest species to grow - we shall see how it preforms).

3.) Gentiana newberryi from seed. Maybe there will be flowers next year.

4.) Packera cana from seed. A high elevation species that seems like it will do well down here at the lower elevations. I like the silvery-gray foliage. This species has nice yellow flowers too.

5.) A batch of seedlings: Oreostemma (Aster) aligenus ssp. andersonii, Salvia sonomensis (I can not have too many of this species. The scented foliage is fantastic and it is 100% xeric), Mimulus aurantiacus (looking for color variation in the seedlings), and a Dianthus species of sorts.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #500 on: August 24, 2015, 09:23:56 PM »
Never get tired of sowing seed and looking out for germination! This is really exciting - Pulsatilla rubra hispanica - fresh seed from Luc that he pictured in flower a while ago. Sown on 9/7/15.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #501 on: August 24, 2015, 11:04:30 PM »
Great looking plants there, Robert. I think we could all learn to appreciate out native plants a bit better. They're ideally suited to our respective climates and most are beautiful in one way of another - it's a shame that familiarity breeds, if not contempt a degree of disdain.

Tim, that is an exciting picture! Just today I sowed some P. rubra seeds myself given to me by Susann. The pictures contained in her lecture of these plants growing in the wild were truly stunning. She told me that they are the most forgiving of the Pulsatillas and MAY stand a chance out here. Here's hoping!
Matt Topsfield

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #502 on: August 25, 2015, 08:15:46 AM »
For those enjoying the pics of South African flowers which I've been posting - here is how most of them start!
These were all from Silverhill Seeds in 2014 and sown last August:
Moraea tulbaghensis
  "       gigandra
   "      herrei
Hesperantha oligantha.
Hopefully in a few years time I can post pics of these in flower,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #503 on: August 28, 2015, 02:04:37 AM »
Fermi,

Wonderful to see such a selection of South African seedlings. I have ordered from Silverhill seeds in the distant pass, i.e. before we needed an import permit. I was going to give up on the import permit, but I have change my mind and my updated permit is now on the way.  ;D

Silverhill has a fantastic list. Thanks for the reminder!  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #504 on: August 29, 2015, 01:09:22 AM »
Don't you all love to see the little green bits pushing though the grit or gravel? What a powerful urge they all have to grow and become new plants. Sometimes I'm amazed at the dreadful conditions they overcome in the garden, to fulfil their destinies.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #505 on: September 01, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »
Some more green bits pushing through - Cyclamen persicum var. autumnale sown on 09 July and giving a 100% germination rate. Thanks, Oron!
Matt Topsfield

Tristan_He

« Reply #506 on: September 09, 2015, 10:51:42 PM »
Great looking plants there, Robert. I think we could all learn to appreciate out native plants a bit better. They're ideally suited to our respective climates and most are beautiful in one way of another - it's a shame that familiarity breeds, if not contempt a degree of disdain.

Tim, that is an exciting picture! Just today I sowed some P. rubra seeds myself given to me by Susann. The pictures contained in her lecture of these plants growing in the wild were truly stunning. She told me that they are the most forgiving of the Pulsatillas and MAY stand a chance out here. Here's hoping!

@Matt I agree. Potentilla erecta for example is very common, but also pretty and seems to stay reasonably compact. Also this year I had a plant of Sedum anglicum (struck from a cutting taken from a local boulder) that was completely white with flowers (see below, unfortunately taken well after the plant was past its best).

Tristan_He

« Reply #507 on: September 14, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »
Here are some seedlings I'm pretty excited about - Thermopsis barbata, from Bjornar's seed (trillium.no). The packet contained about 10 seeds and so far I've had 6 seedlings. One came up much earlier than the rest and is already planted out; the others germinated in the last 3 weeks or so. They seem to want to make quite a chunky taproot, so I have used relatively deep pots.

Now all I need to do is keep them going! Anyone else have experience with this plant? I gather it takes quite a while to flower.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:17:09 PM by Tristan_He »

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #508 on: September 15, 2015, 12:55:29 AM »
I'd never had any luck with growing Anemone blanda from dry "bulbs" so opted for seed a couple of years ago. No germination! Until I noticed a leaf up the other day despite a thick cover of moss. On lifting the moss I discovered more germinating! It was a delicate operation to remove the top cover and re-gravel the pot,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #509 on: September 15, 2015, 03:08:59 AM »
Congratulations with the Thermopsis barbata, Tristan_He!
  I received that seed from Bjønar, also, but I didn't get to plant it yet.  Being a member of the Fabaceae family, I was planning on nicking the seed prior to sowing.  Did you do that?  How long did it take for the first seed to emerge, and then the others?  What temperature regime?

Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal