We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 266191 times)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #465 on: May 19, 2015, 05:47:08 PM »
All from SRGC Seed Ex 2014/15 unless stated otherwise:

Allium acuminatum collected by Ron Ratko in the Cascade Mountains.
Bellevalia dubia ex JJA 227.702
Glaucidium palmatum from seeds I received at the SRGC Discussion Weekend last October
Narcissus bulbocodium pallidus from the Salmon, Bird & Lovell collection - BIG thank you to the donor for these  ;D
Narcissus rupicola collected in Spain - I struggle to grow this species from bought bulbs, so I'm hoping seed raised plants will do better for me.

It's great to see so many seeds germinating, but I just hope I can move them all to the new house safely!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:48:59 PM by Matt T »
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #466 on: May 19, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
Matt, you've got a lot happening in your seed nursery! Nice to see the little Limonium up. A question for you and other members here. Do you prick out seedlings earlier or later? I like to get them separated as early as possible and I find they resent disturbance far less when they are really tiny.

Here's a little video I made at the request of some friends on the Mediterranean garden society website, asking how I had such success raising perennials from seed.

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #467 on: May 20, 2015, 06:44:39 AM »
Yes, busy times, Jamus!

Pricking out: anything bulbous/cormous/similar is left in the seed pot for at least 2 growing seasons with a monthly balanced feed at half strength. With other plants I use my judgement. The Campanula and Verbascum I show above will only be left until they are at a size that I can handle them reasonably easily and pricked out. As you say, small seedlings seem to move with less disturbance. The The Hepatica will stay in the pot for longer  because there's enough space for them until next spring when they'll be separated out. The Glaucidium is said to resent disturbance, so it'll be a judgement call - early to avoid too much of a check or later when seedligns will be a bit bigger and more robust? Maybe just when I feel brave enough!

No matter when pricking out is done, there is never enough growing on space for all the plants raised!
Matt Topsfield

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #468 on: June 07, 2015, 08:51:15 PM »
I've shown these Hepatica nobilis from home grown seed before, but hadn't been expecting true leaves until next year, so these are a nice surprise.

And now some of them are putting out a second true leaf. Hopeful that this is  sign that these will be precocious plants and I won't have to wait too long for flowers.

Some more seeds germinating from the most recent SRGC Seed Exchange, 2014/15:

Cyclamen peloponnesiacum
Romulea bulbocodium leichtliniana
A number of Penstemon, including P. barrettiae and P. pinifolius
Finally, Allium forrestii from our friends at Growild Nursery.
Matt Topsfield

Growild

• Growild Nursery
« Reply #469 on: June 18, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »
Good to see your photo's Matt of our seeds germinating (hope to send you some of that particular blue Allium this year ... didn't set seed from last  :)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #470 on: June 22, 2015, 09:59:03 AM »
Ah, thanks for remembering, Lisa. That would be most welcome. I have seeds of most of the small blue Chinese Alliums germinating and growing well here so you're 'A. sikkimense/yuanum(?)' would be an interesting addition. M
Matt Topsfield

latestart

« Reply #471 on: June 28, 2015, 11:24:10 AM »
I had googled Ramonda and got conflicting advice on growing from seed. Some said it was difficult and germination could take months from sowing. I took the advice on sterilizing the soil in the microwave. I also decided the seeds would be better watered from below. All the seeds were planted on 20.3.15 and all had germinated by 15.4.15. I am now faced with when to pot on. Having watched the excellent video of 'how to' I'm wondering if I should attempt to transplant singly or in small clumps as I would do with lobelia seedlings. Should I try to save all of them or just the strongest ones. There are many more than I anticipated. 

Growild

• Growild Nursery
« Reply #472 on: July 03, 2015, 09:08:54 AM »
Ah, thanks for remembering, Lisa. That would be most welcome. I have seeds of most of the small blue Chinese Alliums germinating and growing well here so you're 'A. sikkimense/yuanum(?)' would be an interesting addition. M

Fingers crossed this year (the heads got broken off last year in gales before seed could set) if not I'll send a division in autumn.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #473 on: July 03, 2015, 08:51:31 PM »
Well acclimatised to a windy climate then  ;D thanks, Lisa.

Germinating here, Quercus coccifera from the upper parts of the Neokaria Gorge, Peloponnesus. Why, oh why? Not really a suitable plant for the Western Isles... ::)

Edit: spot the aphid - they've been terrible this year!
Matt Topsfield

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #474 on: July 21, 2015, 09:45:07 AM »
Sown only a short time ago onto a dry potting mix, Albuca namaquensis is germinating here. Thanks Anthony!
Matt Topsfield

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #475 on: July 28, 2015, 11:07:03 AM »
Some SRGC Seed Ex. sowings that I don't believe I've shown before:

Campanula barbata - received at the SRGC DWE last year, sown soon after when they promptly germinated, overwintered as tiny seedlings and finally putting on some reasonable growth.

Phemeranthus spp. - a mixture of P. calycinus, P. sediformis and P. teretifolius scattered in a trough in March 2015 and now germinating, but which species only time will tell.

Petrocoptis pyrenaica glaucifolia (pink) - sown 02 Mar 2015 and overdue for pricking/planting out.

Baptisia australis ex 'Purple Smoke' - sown 19 Jan 2015.
Matt Topsfield

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #476 on: July 28, 2015, 11:10:52 AM »
Crocus goulimyi ex 'Mani White' - own collected seed sown on 29 May 2015, clearly keen to get growing!

Corylus avellana - collected from Abriachan woodland last autumn and giving 100% germination.

Primula x pubescens ex 'Christine' - own collected seed, which I have shown before as tiny seedlings but now making nice wee plants.
Matt Topsfield

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #477 on: July 28, 2015, 08:53:54 PM »
I recently received some seeds from HansJ of Hippeastrum harrisonii, I looked on google on how to grow them having never grown these from seed before. Some say germinate them in tepid water, some on the surface of damp compost, I decided to try both methods. I checked on them every other day and watered or added water when needed. I checked again this evening and some of the seeds in the water have germinated while the ones on the compost have not done much at all. I might try the water meathod with other bulb seeds.

IMG_0474[1] by John Stephen Lavin, on Flickr

IMG_0475[1] by John Stephen Lavin, on Flickr
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Roma

« Reply #478 on: July 28, 2015, 09:02:04 PM »
I sent Thomas Huber some crocus pulchellus seeds and corms last year.  He sent me a 'few' Cyclamen purpurascens seeds.  I lost count about 280.  I sowed them in a tray and left them in the cold frame. Less than 20 came up last year.  I haven't counted them this year ;D
Arisaema nepenthoides sown in January this year germinating now 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #479 on: July 28, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
Your purpurascens are looking really promising Roma.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal