We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 264745 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2014, 06:28:18 PM »
*Most folk advocate putting pots of bulb seeds in an open frame until germination, when they are brought under cover, but I dare not risk it as our weather and exposure here are so extreme that an un-noticed seedling that has just germinated could be quickly burnt off by the next gale.

A moot point of difference Matt- well noted for your situation - we are fortunate so close to the sea here on the East  to have what is mostly a very sheltered garden, so all our seedpots can take their chances outside  (- except in the very worst weather, so in fact seldom covered) -  for sure if you tried that most of your pots would take to the skies, I'm sure!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #256 on: February 04, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »
...for sure if you tried that most of your pots would take to the skies, I'm sure!

As I mentioned in another thread, I have indeed had coldframes take to the skies! Your proximity to the sea in the east is a blessing, my proximity to the ocean in the west means we get a real battering. The highest point on Benbecula is only 90-odd metres above sea level, so we're essentially a sponge floating in the Atlantic.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

meanie

« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2014, 11:22:47 AM »
This rather dull looking seedling is Cubanola domingensis.........................
429191-0

Rather pleased as I bought the seeds three years ago, germinated a few and then mislaid them. Lost one of this latest sowing due to the seed coat not releasing the embryonic leaves, but there is this one plus another one germinating.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2014, 07:28:32 PM »
I have sown quite a few peony seeds but have never seen any which shows the cotyledons before. A more normal seeling to the left. Own seed from rockii.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

greenspan

« Reply #259 on: March 06, 2014, 06:14:39 PM »
you're right, hypogeal germinating is the normal germinating process in the genus Paeonia. but some germinate epigeal...afaik Paeonia brownii, tenuifolia + rockii ssp. linyanshanii (maybe some more species, i don't know). when the seed grains are slighty covered with soil, the powerful hypocotyl is able to lift up the grain above soil surface. but this should not to be confused with an epigeal germination, because the cotyledons are still inside the seed + never been able to photosynthesis. on your photo the 2 cotyledons are green + this is true epigeal germination in my mind.

germinating P. brownii (old photo), cotyledons still inside the seed, but you might see the folded + green(!) cotyledon
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:25:45 PM by greenspan »
South Germany/Northern Bavaria/Z6b

Roma

« Reply #260 on: March 07, 2014, 10:55:37 PM »
Colchicum szovitzii form Gothenburg sown in March 2013
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #261 on: March 09, 2014, 09:10:57 PM »
Alan Elliott has got his Meconopsis horridula agg. seed from Alpine Garden Society Seed germinating now
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WivekaR

« Reply #262 on: March 10, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
The passed weekend brought some warmth and sunshine and this lovely surprise. Trillium sulcatum! I bought the same seeds this year and did plan a bit better spreading them in several pots.430507-0
Gothenburg, Sweden. USDA zone 5 or 6

ebbie

« Reply #263 on: March 21, 2014, 05:41:06 PM »
Tchihatchewia isatidea

Seeds of Paul Cumbleton (thank you again). Sown on 15/10/2013
Eberhard P., Landshut, Deutschland, Niederbayern
393m NN, 6b

fixpix

« Reply #264 on: April 01, 2014, 08:11:45 AM »
Question!
I had some problems with the germination thing.
One particular pot with Androsace seeds did this: The seeds emerged a bit, I could see the roots going down,  but the seed never opened and after a while the named root got soft and the whole thing collapsed and died.
Could it be cause I watered a bit more... I thought the seeds don't have enough moisture...

Also... is  there a good way to control moisture in pots (with seeds barely covered?). I always think the surface is DRY and I spray water on top.
Some of my creations :)
http://edenium.sunphoto.ro/

meanie

« Reply #265 on: April 01, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »

Also... is  there a good way to control moisture in pots (with seeds barely covered?). I always think the surface is DRY and I spray water on top.

For small seeds that need surface sowing I prefer to sow them in these.....................

I cut drainage holes into the bottom and can keep the mediums level of moisture just right by watering from the bottom. Very successful with small seeds.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2014, 11:29:03 AM »
Some seeds germinating now:

Allium carinatum pulchellum from SRGC seed ex
Dianthus deltoides
Primula veris
Rosa rugosa
Scilla siberica (self-sown)
Matt Topsfield

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #267 on: April 05, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
And a single Primula scotica
Matt Topsfield

GordonT

« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2014, 03:32:53 PM »
Question!
I had some problems with the germination thing.
One particular pot with Androsace seeds did this: The seeds emerged a bit, I could see the roots going down,  but the seed never opened and after a while the named root got soft and the whole thing collapsed and died.
Could it be cause I watered a bit more... I thought the seeds don't have enough moisture...

Hi Fixpix, Two years ago I had similar problems with newly germinated seeds failing to grow. The seedlings were being taken at soil level by damping off. I was adding moisture to the soil surface, and this brought on ideal conditions for the 'Damping Off' fungi to thrive. It was terrible to see the seedlings fall over, or simply shrivel. Once the fungi had started, there was little to no chance of rescuing the seedlings, even with the addition of fungicide powder.

Now I refuse to water seedling trays from above. As soon as they need water, I set them in a larger container that holds water. They get all their moisture from below. I like to think this method might help the seedlings to root more deeply.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Siri K

« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2014, 06:17:34 PM »
Ranzania japonica, seeds from Gothentburg botanical.

Oslo, Norway

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal