We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 266293 times)

Garden Prince

Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2013, 07:39:34 AM »
We continue with Paeonia obovata alba, Polygonatum anomalum and Sassafras albidum. Hopefully more Sassafras on the way. This one germinated in a zip lock bag at warmth (20 degrees C.) I also have a container with Sassafras albidum outside but as yet no germination there.

Excelsior

• Look down! Thats where the magic happens!
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2013, 02:26:17 PM »
Here are some of my seedlings, and more will come  :) The succulents and mesembs germinated straight forward in room temperature. The Allium alvarense germinated after a few weeks in the fridge. Aloe polyphylla germinated in the dark after a few weeks at app. 15C. The aloe seeds that didn't germinate, I now have in cup of water and crossing fingers :-) I sow all my seeds on coffee-filters in zip-log bags. If that fails, I sow them in my own medium of cat litter (non clumping), sand and peat.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:47:24 PM by Excelsior »
Growing on the edge, 560 m.a.s.l.

Excelsior

« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2013, 02:33:52 PM »
The A. looseri germinated at a cool temperature of 7-8C. A. spiniflorus had poor germination, maybe they need stratification since only one germinated at room temperature? The hardy cacti that refuse to germinate after a few weeks, i nick with nail clipper. B. cabulica germinated in fridge, the same with C.acaulis. D. aurea germinated at roomtemperature in the dark. All are sown in zip-locks. If you see something you like, I'm open to swap  :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:28:39 PM by Excelsior »

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »
Here's a young Tropaeolum INCISUM seedling
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Garden Prince

« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2013, 07:14:37 AM »
The story continues on the germination front. I was most excited this past week when I saw that some seeds of Franklinia alatamaha had germinated :D

Excelsior

« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »
A few more....
The H. parviflora germinated rapidly at room-temperature. The K. alticola, there was a small percentage that germinated right away, the rest refuse to do so, maybe some chilling or nicking will do the trick? The O. arvensis, O. simplicissimum and Q. chilense germinated at cool temperatures...

I sow all my seeds in coffee filters and zip-locks with a tint of anti fungi liquid, because I feel I have more control over the germination. I've found out that this usually don't work at ephemeral species, where mushy seeds are the result. Perhaps it is to airtight? Or that the ephemeral species don't have a hard protective seedcoat?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:42:19 PM by Excelsior »

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #201 on: April 29, 2013, 03:40:37 AM »

Wonderful images, everyone!

Oh how much more educational this would all be if growers would share their germination regimes ....

(This my plea each year.  Unfortunately, it will probably be ignored once again....  :( )
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »

Oh how much more educational this would all be if growers would share their germination regimes ....

(This my plea each year.  Unfortunately, it will probably be ignored once again....  :( )

I have now started sowing my fritillaria and lilies in pure cat litter (Sophisticat Pink). I use clay pots which are plunged in a sand bed. Just a top dressing of grit on the pots.

Fritillaria unibracteata just germinating from a January 2012 sowing

Fritillaria crassifolia from an August 2010 sowing germinated spring 2011
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2013, 12:16:05 PM »
Mmm. That seems to work very well. I will look at the cat litter we have here and give it a go. I must make potting on much easier?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2013, 12:42:23 PM »
Thank you, Tony ...

And these were placed outside after sowing? 
Rick Rodich

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »
Thank you, Tony ...

And these were placed outside after sowing?

No under the unheated  greenhouse bench and brought up on top when signs of germination were seen
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Excelsior

« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Rick :) I have now written some words about the germination in my recent posts...

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »

For what it is worth Ric my seed sowing sowing regime is pretty simple. Bulbous plants are sown in 9cm square plastic pots, in gritty-sandy loam based compost (UK JI No. 2), covered with a layer of grit and kept in an outdoor frame open to all the weather thrown at it. On germination they are taken into the greenhouse (if there is room) or covered shelving outside. Non bulbous, same regime but sown in 7cm square plastic pots in a gritty-sandy proprietary seed compost.

Some I win, some I loose! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Botanica

« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »
Hello

Wonderful succes for many poeple !

Somes of mine

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2013, 05:41:37 AM »
Excelsior, thanks so much!  The added info really aids in my understanding.  That you note when only a very few germinate, possibly indicating the regime is not the norm, is also very helpful.

So the Allium schoenprasum arlvarense germinated in the fridge or at room temperature after 3 weeks in the fridge?
Same question with Aloe polyphylla: germinated at 15C or at room temperature after 3 weeks at 15C?
Rick Rodich

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal