We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 266264 times)

Graham Catlow

Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »
I have said on several occassions that I don't allow my plants to set seed as I like to tidy my plants after flowering, but there has been the odd occassion when I have left some to set seed and here are three results.

Trillium chloropetalum giganteum - sown fresh in the summer of 2010. Seedlings only surfaced this year.
Trillium erectum sown fresh in the summer of 2010. Seedlings only surfaced this year.
Lilium oxypetalum insigne - sown fresh in the summer of 2011.

Some T. c. giganteum seed pods must have been missed from time to time as I have been weeding seedlings like these out of the garden for years not knowing what they were :-\ my garden is far too tidy ;)
Bo'ness. Scotland

Garden Prince

« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »
Different species of Magnolia germinated in the last month:

Magnolia hypoleuca (obovata)
Magnolia macrophylla
Magnolia sieboldii
Magnolia tripetala

manicbotanic

« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »
gosh..i tried magnolia seed myself this year..but crazily a tender one called garretii..they have all germinated so what to do with them now???growing fairly quickly aswell...

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2012, 09:45:38 PM »
gosh..i tried magnolia seed myself this year..but crazily a tender one called garretii..they have all germinated so what to do with them now???growing fairly quickly aswell...

That could be a bit tricky - funny how it's never the ones you really need to grow that do..... :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2012, 02:21:34 AM »

Start a little nursery?  ;D

Going back to Reply No 147, All the dicot seedlings have gone, frosted off and I think in the finish they were an Impatiens species, obviously tender because we've only have three or four frosts here so far and only light. The single colchicum seedling has turned out to be a cabbage tree (Cordyline australis) so hopefully the coming spring will bring on the colchicums.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
Erigeron aureus from AGS Seed Ex (11/12-2806) sown 19/04/12. Didn't expect it to make this kind of growth so early. It's a lovely little seedling with lots of downy hairs.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Darren

« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2012, 12:59:24 PM »
I'd be a bit wary it might be another composite which can be a bit of a hooligan David - Pilosella aurantiaca ('Fox & Cubs').
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
I agree... looks a bit off - somewhat overly furry for Erigeron aureus, with unusually long petioles.  Here's one from the garden, and one from the wild, for comparison:
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »
Many thanks Lori and Darren, I'll keep an eye on it and report back at some stage
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »
I can think of one or two Forumists who could have a use for those downy hairs though. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2012, 12:16:52 AM »
Some recent new germinations:
Bellevalia paradoxa SRGC 2012
Silene regia Kristal Walek, Gardens North
Moraea.ramosissima, Being plants, 06/2012
Pulsatilla albana SRGC 2012
Rhodophiala montana , Being plants, 06/2012

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2012, 04:10:09 AM »
and a few more

Tulipa regelii JJA 2011 ;D
Hesperantha vaginata NZAGS 2011
Geissorhiza inflexa       "           "
Calochortus clavatus ssp.... Marcus Harvey 2011
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Roma

« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »
I have tried seed of different clematis before but without success.  I was very pleased when I noticed this seedling a few weeks ago.
Clematis texensis dwarf form from AGS seed, sown in January 2011   
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »
Clematis seeds have given me some real frustrations Roma. My own seed, such as last year's C. napaulensis started to germinate about 3 months after it was sown but other species, especially the dwarf form of fusca have taken 2 years unless sown very fresh. And seed of several choice species sent to me from Helen in Canada, sown at least 3 years ago I think (stupidly didn't date the labels) are only now sending up an occasional seedling. One came up over a year ago and I've had 5 from 3 other species, in the last month.

Other years I've sown what seemed good seed of orientalis (vernayi) L and S 13342 and had not a thing come through. Last winter I sowed yet another potful and have had great germination, ready now to pot up. There seems no rhyme or reason except that I'm sure fresh as possibe is important. I've had nothing from seedlist columbiana tenuifolia, several different batches but Krystal Walek's columbiana has proved much better.

Garden Prince

« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »
This week I checked upon my baggie sown seeds of Daphne tangutica that were kindly donated to me by forum member Mike Ireland. To my surprise I found one seed that had germinated and some that seem ready to do the same. The seeds were sown a month ago and stored in a zip lock bag at room temperature (18-21 degrees Celsius).

The question is whether the seed that has started to put a root out now need a cold period or not. My experience with Daphne mezereum suggests that it does but I have found precious little trustworthy information on the germination pattern of Daphne tangutica on the internet. D.M. Jockel's informative Daphne website (http://www.seidelbast.net/home.html ) says Daphne tangutica falls into the category of Daphnes that need stratification before proper germination. More information on this subject is welcome.

To be continued.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:20:50 AM by Garden Prince »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal