We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 264763 times)

Hristo

Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:28:43 AM »
Maybe 5% germination rate here ( 1 out of 20 seeds ) and my chances of keeping this going are slim I suspect;
Tylecodon singularis
The adult is a stunner if you look up a pic!!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »
A strange and extraordinary plant! You can't grow this one in your garden?!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hristo

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »
No, not in my garden sadly, too cold,wet etc!!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »
Glaucidium palmatum germinating now. I got moist packed seeds from a friend some time ago. Kept the pack in the fridge, and when I opened it a week ago, all the seeds had started to grow roots. I quicky transfred them to a pot and a few days later the first green sedlings started to appear. I just hope it is the white form, as it is supposed to be. I never managed to obtain a plant with white flowers, even if I have tried, both by buying plants and by growing them from seeds.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:57:40 PM by Magnar »
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:17:16 PM »
Glaucidium palmatum germinating now. I got moist packed seeds from a friend some time ago. Kept the pack in the fridge, and when I opened it a week ago, all the seeds had started to grow roots. I quicky transfred them to a pot and a few days later the first green sedlings started to appear. I just hope it is the white form, as it is supposed to be. I never managed to obtain a plant with white flowers, even it i have tried, both by byuing plants and by growing them from seeds.

I have been given last fall a possible plant of G.palmatum leucanthemum. But it was nearly as little as the one we see on your pic :-\  So I must wait some 3/4 perhaps 5 years I think before knowing if it is white or not ( everything is so long to grow here). I'll send you seeds of it, if it's the case. But something tells me that you will perhaps get a white exemplar long before me...!
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
I obtained two plants last year - pieces of a flowering specimen - so I suppose they are white ;D
I'll tell you when they flower . .  here's the common colour:

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ArnoldT

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 04:09:09 AM »
Maybe 5% germination rate here ( 1 out of 20 seeds ) and my chances of keeping this going are slim I suspect;
Tylecodon singularis
The adult is a stunner if you look up a pic!!

i don't remember this species of Tylecodon;interesting.. i only have one sp, more ordinary looking- fat stems with small succulent semi deciduous leaves; i guess this one would have a tuber/caudex below ground?

Hristo

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 06:55:06 AM »
Hi Cohan, yes I guess it will develop a below ground caudex. I was attracted to it because of the leaves. I've been aquiring Eriospermum species and came accross this Tylecoden species whilst 'hunting' for Eriospermum!

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 07:07:33 AM »
Hi Cohan, yes I guess it will develop a below ground caudex. I was attracted to it because of the leaves. I've been aquiring Eriospermum species and came accross this Tylecoden species whilst 'hunting' for Eriospermum!

where did you acquire the erios, and any success with seed? i have had about 5 packets (silverhill once, and twice from penrock) with 0 germination :(

Hristo

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »
Developing protocorms of;
Orchis laxiflora ssp. elegans
Dactylorhiza romana 'Yellow'
Dactylorhiza romana 'Pale'
( from a pink / white bicolor form )
Protocorms also developing for D.sambucina, O.laxiflora ( Alba form ), D.saccifera
As can be seen they all look the same, no surprise there I guess!
The Spiranthes sowing shown on the previous page has yielded a further three germinations.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:00:00 PM by Hristo »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 04:37:19 AM »
Chris,

So how are you germinating them?  Is that just on cardboard?  By a rather strange coincidence I was just in a topic about germinating Dactylorhiza from seed..... then 2 topics later I saw this posting.  Did you do anything special with the cardboard to start the germination, or is the correct fungi in your ecosystem already and so it automatically appeared on the cardboard?  I'm guessing by  the comment about the previous page that this was split off from something else that I've missed?  I'd love to know details.  If Dacts will germinate on cardboard relatively easily I'd love to give it a try!!  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hristo

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 05:34:31 AM »
Hi Paul,
More info and discussion in this thread on the Terrestrial Orchid Forum;
http://forum.terrorchid.org/viewtopic.php?p=8319#8319

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 05:37:39 AM »
Developing protocorms of;
Orchis laxiflora ssp. elegans
Dactylorhiza romana 'Yellow'
Dactylorhiza romana 'Pale'
( from a pink / white bicolor form )
Protocorms also developing for D.sambucina, O.laxiflora ( Alba form ), D.saccifera
As can be seen they all look the same, no surprise there I guess!
The Spiranthes sowing shown on the previous page has yielded a further three germinations.

more encouraging results!

Hristo

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 05:50:29 AM »
Indeed, the Spiranthes is developing well, 2nd leaf has developed and it is beginning to form an 'adult' tuber!!
My 'plan' is to cut it out of the cardboard once early spring has arrived and plant it in a suitable place in the garden,
probably near Spiranthes spiralis.
The only Orchis to show any germinations is laxiflora which is a wetland species, much like Dactylorhiza. On the Terrestrial
Orchid Forum Fred mooted the idea that this method may be more applicable to such species. Modifications with addition of a
soil / crushed limestone mix may be an approach that will cater for species from better drained substrates.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal