We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 264792 times)

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »
Magnar: the list of seedlings in your reply #60
( http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6490.msg230356#msg230356 )

Did they also all germinated at room temperature without a cold treatment?

Yes, all these grew in room temperature, no cold treatment was needed.
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »
I hope that the ones from this tray did'nt germinate already   ;D
You've iced these cakes so beautifully Kris. How will you decorate them? Perhaps a job for Erica? ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »
Fermi, yours have well germinated too this automn  ;) Hope, this cold winter weather have not killed them, mini temperature was -3,5 ° in my "half-cold" frame :-[
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »
Kris - I did a quick run-through the Rhodophialas to check which were dormant and which starting to grow in the cold (5c) greenhouse.

Thank you very much John , very useful information . I come back on this matter later on.
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2012, 08:21:10 AM »
Fermi, yours have well germinated too this automn  ;) Hope, this cold winter weather have not killed them, mini temperature was -3,5 ° in my "half-cold" frame :-[
They've survived here with temperatures down to -7oC at times. But there's plenty more seed on the Aristea if you need replacements ;D
I wish you luck with the Ebenus, Fermi, - it is a lovely plant and I see from the NARGS site that it had a narrow escape from rodents?!
They were stored in the house while we were in the UK last April/May - we arrived home to a house full of mice! - they attacked the packet [and a lot of others] and I doubted that anything left would germinate but at least one has! Now to keep it alive and get it to flower.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Magnar

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »
The seedlings keep growing:

Allium amabile
Centaurea drabifolia ssp cappadocica
Centaurea odyssei
Edraiainthus tenuifolius
Meconopsis racemosa
Potentilla speciosa

Magnar

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2012, 07:48:18 PM »
Pulsatilla albana
Pulsatilla pratensis
Pulsatilla slavica
Voila jooi
Werneria pygmaea

BryanEmery

• So many plants so little money
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2012, 03:53:46 AM »
My Rheum nobile are starting to germinate now!!! Soooooo excited!
I am not obsessive when it comes to plant shopping, I just want two of everything....

Victoria BC Canada

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2012, 05:52:41 AM »
Oh golly Bryan! Mine were sown yesterday. What happens now? How should we go on when germinated? Advice would be welcome please.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:35:36 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

BryanEmery

• So many plants so little money
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2012, 07:07:15 AM »
I think you need to pick a god and prey! But after that I expect deep pots with gritty mix? I am planning on trying something like a near by nursery uses for astragalus coccinius. They use a deep pot with rich fertile gritty mix in the bottom for the roots to run in, the taproot is then surrounded by grit and a light gritty mix fills in around that... But then I am only assuming they will have a taproot? Hmm do they have a taproot???

I was really hoping someone would have jumped in with info, but something tells me we are all in the same boat  with this amazing plant. I can tell you germination has only taken 4 weeks, but sofar the seeds are just sprouting, I can only tell the have started by moving the grit aside on the pot.

Maybe they will be easy to grow... Maybe our only problem will be transporting them to shows...

B

I am not obsessive when it comes to plant shopping, I just want two of everything....

Victoria BC Canada

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2012, 01:39:07 AM »
Can you post a picture of the new seedlings? I had three germinate a few years back and kept them for 4 years before they all died eventually, but because I think I've ever only seen the plants in fabulous pictures of flowering plants, I have no idea what the leaves of the non-flowering plant should be like. Maybe mine were not the real thing. I remember the leaves were relatively small for a rhubarb and quite glossy.

Garden Prince

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »
Araucaria araucana (Monkey Puzzle Tree) starts to germinate. Seeds were bought on Ebay/Germany. They were sown on 25 October 2011 and began to germinate last week. All this time seeds were in a room where temperatures were between 12 and 16 degrees Celsius.

From the picture you might conclude that I'm messy when it comes to sowing seeds. I am not :P. In this case the seeds pushed themselves out of the sowing medium and because of the taproot it is unwise to push them back into the sowing medium.

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
Can you post a picture of the new seedlings? I had three germinate a few years back and kept them for 4 years before they all died eventually, but because I think I've ever only seen the plants in fabulous pictures of flowering plants, I have no idea what the leaves of the non-flowering plant should be like. Maybe mine were not the real thing. I remember the leaves were relatively small for a rhubarb and quite glossy.

Hi Lesley

Here is a pic from last year of what was at this time still supposed to be wild collected rheum nobile. The seedlings were about 2 years old.
I found them really looking like very young rheum alexandrae.
Already a great performance if you could keep them so long last time!

Regards
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »
Thanks Philippe. Those do look very like what my supposedly R. nobile looked like in their early stages. The later leaves though were rather rounder and less like what I have as alexandrae which has quite distinctive longitudinal (?)veining. So maybe they were, maybe they weren't. This latest lot should be correct though. ;D

Which reminds me that I haven't thanled you for your parcel which arrived on Wednesday, sown Thursday. I will be in touch as you send MUCH more than the cost of an NZAGS subscription.

Yesterday (photo later when there are a few more) I had a Camellia species germinate (2), from quite old seed. They were sown on Jan 20th, so they have been very quick.

Bryan, I do like the thought of taking R. nobile to the shows. I will need to take the back seat from the car to have enough height. ;D

arilnut

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »
I got R. nobile from Holubec this year. Planted 6 seeds in a tray 2 weeks ago.
Kept in unheated back room that ranges from 50F day to 30 F night. Brought
the tray into the kitchen on Friday, 75F. This morning I found 4 germinated.
Pic later.

John B
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal