We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 266164 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #1215 on: March 12, 2021, 10:38:28 AM »
These were dry seeds Véronique, from Growild & sown outdoors last December but protected from excess rain & slugs.

And look what I found yesterday, also sown outdoors: Tricyrtis hirta beginning to emerge :).  Excellent seed from a very kind forumist ;) 
Probably they were sown too thickly but I might just pot on the clump in a few months then wait until next year before trying to separate them out. 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #1216 on: March 14, 2021, 06:57:50 AM »
it's nice.

I have already obtained a small flowering the year of sowing.
 this is the only Tricyrtis I have ever managed to germinate. And yet I have sown some species!

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #1217 on: March 14, 2021, 07:32:17 PM »
i don't understand something strange has happened with this thread. I received 4 notifications frtom forumnists about a reply and everytime it opens up with Veronique's comment about Tricyrtis ????
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1218 on: March 14, 2021, 08:07:12 PM »
i don't understand something strange has happened with this thread. I received 4 notifications frtom forumnists about a reply and everytime it opens up with Veronique's comment about Tricyrtis ????
Arturo
Arturo - this is because  I moved all the  posts about  emojis - here: https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18399.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tristan_He

« Reply #1219 on: March 24, 2021, 10:12:23 PM »
683393-0

Galanthus 'Primrose Warburg'. Evidently this set seed last year and the seedlings are now coming up. Will be interesting to see what they look like, but at least some promise to be yellow.

Lilium 'Mrs R.O. Backhouse' - a martagon hybrid, from the 2019-20 seedex. Very good germination here! Other pots of lilies from the exchange are also showing.

Meconopsis paniculata white form.

683399-3

Meconopsis yaoshanensis. These are quite distinctive seedlings.

Lilium albanicum

Tristan_He

« Reply #1220 on: March 24, 2021, 10:21:37 PM »

Silene acaulis. This self-seeds in the rockery every year but the seedlings never make it. Last year I finally collected seed.

Crepis pygmaea. These are interesting and promise to have very dark leaves when adult. The cotyledons appeared under the perlite and the first leaves are poking through.

Here are the Ramondas I sowed last year, they are coming on well. I repotted them a couple of weeks ago.

683407-2

Ramonda myconi. These are growing relatively fast.

683409-3

R. serbica is a bit slower.

Not a great germination from R. nathaliae and they were sown a bit later but doing ok.

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #1221 on: March 28, 2021, 08:12:23 PM »
Tristan, do you sow your seed in straight perlite?  That's what it looks like in the pictures but I know this may not be true.

Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

Tristan_He

« Reply #1222 on: March 28, 2021, 10:18:19 PM »
Hi Jan, the main compost is a very free-draining mix of about 1 part John Innes No 2* to 2 parts drainage material (usually Perlite as it is cheap and works well, but I also use alpine grit or sharp sand if any is to hand). I top dress with a thin layer of Perlite, then sow the seeds, then cover with another layer of Perlite and watered. I use this procedure for pretty much all seeds except those that need deeper sowing like Crocus or Erythronium, or those that don't like to be covered like Campanula or Gentiana (in which case I crush the Perlite a bit and surface sow).

I find Perlite an excellent growing medium: it's pretty cheap, doesn't compact and holds a bit of water and nutrients. The light colour also seems to help germination. I know it's not the prettiest but that's not an issue for me for seedlings. The only drawback is that it is the same colour and size as small bulbs, which can be an issue when repotting. I've had a few rogue fritillaries popping up unexpectedly in this way.

* These days I tend to recycle and refresh a lot of potting compost, so it's not strictly JI.

Tristan_He

« Reply #1223 on: April 04, 2021, 11:46:20 PM »
685610-0

The Sarracenias I sowed last June have had a very high survival rate! Heaven knows what I am going to do with all these little pitcher plants.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #1224 on: April 08, 2021, 06:56:40 AM »
woh, it's beautiful and colorful

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #1225 on: April 08, 2021, 10:52:49 AM »
(Attachment Link)

The Sarracenias I sowed last June have had a very high survival rate! Heaven knows what I am going to do with all these little pitcher plants.

I also sown many hybrids from Mike King, the lost with Sarracenia is very low so i'm also asking myself where i gonna stock all these pots.
North of France

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #1226 on: April 11, 2021, 08:54:36 PM »
This weekend I made a beautiful discovery in the sowings.... Aciphylla crosby-smithii is germinating in all the pots. It can go on like this.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1227 on: April 11, 2021, 09:21:53 PM »
A few years ago now (dates faded from the labels), Anne W in Yorkshire sent me some seed from Galanthus 'Primrose Warberg' and another, and nothing happened for two years but  when it did, I had about a dozen seedlings some of which were green and the others very pale and seemingly sickly green. I had hopes of these and last year 3 flowered for the first time and were indeed, yellow, two with yellow inner marks and the third with the whole inside section a good clear yellow. My camera was out of action at the time and my phone camera full but I hope this year to be able to photograph them.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tristan_He

« Reply #1228 on: April 17, 2021, 11:09:24 PM »
687454-0

Polygala major. This is a very common meadow plant in the Balkans. I sowed this in spring 2019 but had no germination, so was surprised to see it come up now (I do keep old pots, but more in hope than in expectation). Hopefully I can establish it here.

687456-1

Cyananthus microphyllus (the one with the broader leaves - the narrow-leaved thing is Sagina procumbens)

687458-2

Phyteuma scheuchzeri. Unlike Campanula, Phyteuma need to be sown in autumn so they get a cold spell. As the seed is small and pots can be overgrown by moss, keeping them in the fridge over winter is a good idea.

687460-3

Aster alpinus.

Anthyllis montana.

Tristan_He

« Reply #1229 on: April 17, 2021, 11:16:45 PM »
Meconopsis are growing fast at this time of year, and I have repotted many of my seedlings sown last December.

687464-0

M. paniculata white form, grown quite markedly in 3 weeks (see photo March 24th).

687466-1

M. cf. grandis. This came to me via the Mec group seedex misidentified. The parent had huge beautiful blue flowers but unfortunately was monocarpic. It set seed though, hopefully I will be able to keep it going.

687468-2

M. 'Kingsbarns'

M. punicea. I have lost count of how many pots of this I have sown with zero germination. Four have germinated in this pot, fingers crossed!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal