We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 266969 times)

Roma

Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #1125 on: June 18, 2020, 03:52:20 PM »
I bought a tuber of Arisaema flavum 2 years ago from Pitcairn Alpines and it flowered and produced seed last year.  I sowed the seed and was delighted to have an excellent germination.

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #1126 on: June 18, 2020, 04:06:08 PM »
Any idea what this could be?  I found a black berry containing a lot of small seeds in the greenhouse.  I too frequently collect seed and don't get round to labelling it before I forget what it was.  2 possibilities are Ophiopogon or Sarcococca which I think is more likely.
The seedlings look rather like trillium but the berry and seeds did not.  Sown in June 2018 and germinated this year.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1127 on: June 22, 2020, 12:20:28 AM »
Always fun to have a little mystery or two, to look forward to solving in due course. You will no doubt keep us posted in the future Roma, about what it turns out to be. It may be obvious by next year or maybe it will keep us guessing for another 2 or 3 or 4 years!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #1128 on: June 22, 2020, 10:11:42 AM »
Mystery pots seem to multiply profusely here....some have lost their labels while awaiting the the "Lord Seed" to emerge for...2,3, 4 years plus those that keep just in case... Thanks to this site and club so many growers have shown that the only answer is patience. Now patience can be exercized with a light-hearted fun approach or a worrisome approach. Leslie, you've clearly pointed out the one that is imho best suits me. Thank you!
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Tristan_He

« Reply #1129 on: July 05, 2020, 12:03:24 PM »
Roma, Paris have berries don't they? Could it be one of these?

Roma

« Reply #1130 on: July 05, 2020, 01:44:15 PM »
Thanks, Tristan.  That's another possibility though I can't remember catching the Paris berries before something eats them.  It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #1131 on: July 31, 2020, 12:07:09 PM »
Not sure how long Gladiolus seed stay viable but these Gladiolus stellatus seeds were sown in 2014!
Of course, they could be something else which has sown itself into the pot!  ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1132 on: August 03, 2020, 11:11:33 AM »
Fermi they look like gladiolus sdlgs or perhaps it would be truer to say they don't look UNLIKE gladiolus sdlgs. I've been caught a couple of times, in reverse as it were. I've carefully extracted each one of G. alatus seedlings under the impression they were fine grass, Poa annua or similar. Still waiting for the latest seedlist batch to mature enough to flower.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tristan_He

« Reply #1133 on: August 13, 2020, 10:15:18 PM »
Here are a few photos of some interesting seedlings - not exactly germinating now but this year at least.

671768-0

Sarracenia x moorei hybrids. I haven't seen many photos of young pitcher plant seedlings on the web and thought it might be useful for others. These seeds were purchased from a reputable seller on eBay, stratified for 4 weeks in the fridge and then sown into a zero nutrients lime free compost (perlite, silica sand, chopped Sphagnum and chopped twigs). They are just developing their first true pitchers.

671770-1

Drosera capensis - a bit past the seedling stage now (the actual seedlings are barely visible to the naked eye). These are growing rapidly now.

671772-2

Drosera aliciae. These are slower growing than capensis and equally minute to start with!

671774-3

Ramonda myconi. I posted an image of these 'germinating' earlier this year which actually turned out to be Sagina procumbens! The Ramondas came up a couple of weeks later and are growing well in my shady conservatory. They have not been grown in a bag (I tried this before but found it too fiddly) but get regular watering to keep them growing. I am keeping a close eye on the moss but so far it is not too problematic.

671776-4

...and this is R. serbica sown at the same time.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #1134 on: September 07, 2020, 04:34:37 AM »
I sowed these veronica seed into a trough a few months ago but didn't expect much in the way of germination. I didn't even write down the species - but that might be because I wasn't sure which of the plants the seeds came from! Possibly a native species which trails. These pics taken on August 15th
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #1135 on: September 16, 2020, 04:10:36 PM »
Iris histrioides from Marcus Harvey in 2017 just two  germinating now. It's the third pot of this species that I've had germinate this year - must be just the right conditions as they were all sown more than 2 years ago
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #1136 on: September 22, 2020, 04:44:28 AM »
Thanks to Yann I got some seed of Tulipa systola which I was only able to sow this year :-[
Happily they were still viable and have germinated :)
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Tristan_He

« Reply #1137 on: November 15, 2020, 02:11:59 PM »
This year I bought some seed from Oron Peri for the first time. Germination so far has been impressive.

Iris planifolia

Iris pumila subsp. attica

Iris filifolia

Crocus goulimyi

677436-4

Fritillaria argolica. This one is interesting, I sowed in September, then put it in the fridge late October with a bunch of other stuff I thought would want a cold dry spell to stimulate germination. It's a good job I have been checking from time to time!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 02:41:36 PM by Tristan_He »

Tristan_He

« Reply #1138 on: November 15, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »
677442-0

Fritiallaria conica is another 'fridge fritillary' to start germinating.

Saxifraga granulata (I think - there are some weeds too).

Phyteuma orbiculare. Unlike other Campanulaceae I have never found Phyteuma easy to germinate, but maybe autumn sowing is better.

Potentilla heptaphylla.

Potentilla nitida. I have grown a nursery bought plant of this in the rockery for a number of years but it hardly ever flowers, so I'm trying it from seed to see if any of the seedlings perform better.

Tristan_He

« Reply #1139 on: November 15, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »
In August I posted some pictures of Ramondas that I sowed in the spring from last years seed exchange. I carefully teased them apart into small clumps in September and repotted them, and they are making better progress than I was expecting. The serbicas are growing more slowly than myconi.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal