We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South African Bulbs 2011  (Read 92627 times)

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Re: South African Bulbs 2011
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 10:36:07 PM »
A couple of Lachenalias not happy with the frosty weather.

1 & 2  Lachenalia namaqua,
 3 & 4  Lachenalia bulbifera

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 11:55:24 PM »
Michael - Good to see these two species. Are they also kept bone-dry during their summer dormancy?

johnw  - +6c and heavy rain for the last few hours as another weather bomb passes; mercury about to plummet on this virtually snow-less scape.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »
Are they also kept bone-dry during their summer dormancy?

Yes, the pots are dried out then left on the bench all summer,in full sun.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 10:00:13 AM »

Yours look a lot happier than mine Michael :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »

Yours look a lot happier than mine Michael :(
Yes, David, I was thinking that a lot of folk would be happy enough with Michael's stressed plants! He has very high standards!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Onion

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
That's why he is Mr. Amazing  ;D ;D

Every time I see this thread, I feel like a little uninformed gardener. Always new species, new wishes but no place  :'(
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:19:18 AM by Onion »
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
why would you wear a uniform Uli? ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hristo

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Flowering indoors, a welcome relief from the whiteout in the garden!
Lachenalia orchioides var. orchioides
Cyrtanthus mackenii 'Pink'
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 11:27:44 AM »
Beautiful pastel pink mackenii, Chris.  Lovely!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »
Very nice Chris. I've tried Cyrtanthus a few times with no luck at all.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hristo

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 01:56:29 PM »
Cheers Paul and David! These are both first time flowerers for me, the Lachenalia from seed and the Cyrtanthus purchased as a bulb.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 04:05:24 PM »
Chris - Do you keep your Cyrtanthus barely moist during its summer rest?

I think we are going to have a bumper crop of flowers on our big C. brachyscyphus.  Will post when out though nearly as exciting as yours.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Hristo

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 05:16:22 PM »
Hi John,
It has never had a rest as such, it stays on a west facing window and just keeps on throwing out leaves so I just keep watering it. My other amaryllids let me know when they want to rest but this one just keeps on going!! Will look forard to seeing your C.brachyscyphus when it flowers.

Ezeiza

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 11:18:24 PM »
John, practically all Cyrtanthi are WINTER dormant or at least, are much slower at winter.

They are really tender and even slight frosts can turn them to mush.

Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
Alberto,

That may be how they behave in nature, but I definitely have mackenii here that have had quite heavy frost (by that I mean at least -5oC) here without any problem at all.  I also have Cyrtanthus elatus (Valotta Lily got those who don't know it, but that spelling just doesn't look right to me?) which grows for me in the open garden without a problem.  My mackenii are verging on evergreen, and I have a creamy white variety of mackenii that almost always flowers in June here, when we're well into Winter (and just to be different it has sent up a scape now for our summer enjoyment!  ;D).  While frost may damage badly many of the other Cyrtanthus, I have to stand up for the mackenii and elatus at the very least as they do not have any problems at all with the levels I talk about above, and the ones out in the open garden would have definitely been through -8oC while dormant (the elatus is definitely dormant in winter here).  The majority of my mackenii that I grow are in a bit more shelter than that, but ALL of them would get at least some degree of frost on them as even against the wall under the eaves of the house would get to freezing in midwinter.  This would include Cyrtanthus falcatus, montanus, brachyscyphus, some complex hybrids and more.  I've even been told that the Cyrtanthus falcatus needs a decent level of cold for it to flower, so I've moved my pot out so that it gets light frost in winter.  The plant is looking much stronger now, and I am hoping for flowers one of these years.  By the sound of it it should have died last winter when it got frost on it?  I'd hazard it would have had at least -2 or -3oC where I have it at present?

I know we've had discussions before about "ideal" climate and where they originate from, and we've disagreed on my growing conditions for some things in the past, but my Cyrtanthus grow, multiply, and flower well so they can't be that close to death.  I'm just mentioning this so that pthers reading this don't make the blanket assumption that frost and Cyrtanthus means death, because as far as I am aware I haven't lost a Cyrtanthus to the cold here as yet, although as I said most of them are not out in the open and full frost by any means.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal