We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Winter Narcissus  (Read 35111 times)

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Re: Winter Narcissus
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2011, 09:19:02 PM »
A couple of seedlings in flower here.

Narcissus  mesatlanticus seedling. This flower is twice the size of romieuxii flowers.

Narcissus romieuxii, seedling

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2011, 10:23:45 PM »
This is very common in the wild in N. hedraeanthus and N. blancoi populations.

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2011, 03:32:27 AM »
Michael, sowing seeds is very fun, isn't it? That brings us such unexpected pleasure occasionally. I like your both seedlings.

------------------------------------------------------------
This is another Narcissus romieuxii var. mesatlanticus just added to my collection. I spot it at an alpine nursery stand in a local orchid show last weekend. Perhaps it is one of the common forms between mesatlanticus but I have never seen such mesatlanticus with reflex corona before. And I was amazed when checked the label. This plant came from SRGC seedex! Though I should post pictures of my own growing plants, please excuse this exception. I want to say thank you for a SRGC member who donate this wonderful mesatlanticus seeds ;)
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2011, 03:40:24 AM »
Tatsuo, I mostly just "lurk" on Narcissus topics, I like them but don't grow many, but I love the look of this one with the gracefully reflexed corona... superb. It looks just like a yellow petunia. And it's so dwarf too.  Well grown.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Gerry Webster

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2011, 11:51:06 AM »
Tatsuo - I think that these more-or-less petunioid forms are not uncommon in seedlings of N. romieuxii but yours is a particularly attractive one.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »
Tatsuo - I think that these more-or-less petunioid forms are not uncommon in seedlings of N. romieuxii but yours is a particularly attractive one.

--- indeed, an extraordinary form.

I add a pic of a 'normal' romieuxii which is flowering just now.

the other pics are autumn flowering daffs (serotinus, x alleniae) - but they are nearly 'frozen'
since weeks - so 'Winter Narcissus'.

Gerd
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:34:38 PM by Gerdk »
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2011, 03:39:31 PM »
That is a remarkable form, Tatsuo, and well grown. Gerd - they are still looking good, and don't seem to have suffered from the cold.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2011, 10:35:07 PM »
That's a lovely hybrid, Gerd! Is it one you're created yourself or one found in the wild?

Speaking of autumn daffs, I need some help "defining" Narcissus miniatus. Seed of it from the AGS Seedex has been confiscated by AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service) because it isn't on ICON (the "allowed" list). Do some people still consider it a ssp of N. serotinus? Or when was it re-classified? Any help I can get to do battle with bureacracy would be appreciated!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2011, 10:56:41 PM »
Speaking of autumn daffs, I need some help "defining" Narcissus miniatus. Seed of it from the AGS Seedex has been confiscated by AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service) because it isn't on ICON (the "allowed" list). Do some people still consider it a ssp of N. serotinus? Or when was it re-classified? Any help I can get to do battle with bureacracy would be appreciated! 

A few years ago, N serotinus was split into N miniatus for the Western Med species, and N serotinus for the Eastern Med species.   
However  ::) (I'm not sure this is going to help) it seems that very recently there have been further changes to N miniatus
and it is now N obsoletus
http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/synonomy.do?name_id=281989
On this page you will see other synonyms, including N serotinus in various subspecies.  Hope that helps you get it through
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
That's a lovely hybrid, Gerd! Is it one you're created yourself or one found in the wild?

cheers
fermi

Thank you, Fermi. My Narcissus x alleniae are created by mother nature. It is a viridiflorus-miniatus cross.  I received them (well prepared by heat treatment in summer) in October 2010.

To miniatus/serotinus:
Not much to add to Dianes comments. Until recent changes were published (beginning with Donnison-Morgan et al., 2005) these plants were simply labelled 'serotinus'.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
Thanks for comments. I've already done self pollination to my petunioid mesatlanticus and am hoping to get some seeds now.

Gerdk, I like your N. x alleniae with ice green perianths in the last pic.
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Eddie Spencer

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »
Hi, just loving pics and comments.  However, as I am new to this forum, I thought it only polite to introduce myself and this posting seems as good a place as any to start.  A neighbour got me hooked during a visit around his garden and soince then I've been growing a 'broad church' of alpine plants and some bulbs for a few years, attending AGS shows, local groups etc.  It's been great fun since - with lots to enjoy and great company along the way ;D.  Growing from seed and/or cuttings is and watching plants develop is (perhaps) the best part.  Settling down to a liking for Campanula, Saxifraga, Narcissus and an odd eclectic mix of small cushions (not Dionysia, which I quickly found easy to dispatch to an early burial).  And, I still have MUCH to learn ???.  Getting more of a broader interest in 'bulbs' these days. I do find this a very informative site and, once I get used to posting, incl pics, I want to contribute a little.
Eddie Spencer, Egginton, nr Derby, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2011, 01:50:18 PM »
Hello Eddie,  it's great that you have begun to post.... we'll look forward to yousharing your gardening experiences with us. These plants are just captivating, aren't they? So beautiful, often challenging to grow.... so much to catch our interest ... and keep it!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ArnoldT

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2011, 03:08:54 PM »
Brian Duncan selection.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Morgayn

• Islescapes Garden Concepts
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »
That is stunning! :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal