We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Winter Narcissus  (Read 35107 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Winter Narcissus
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2011, 08:51:12 AM »
I wonder if there is a nice nursing home somewhere for the care and rehabilitation of confused gardeners?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2011, 09:07:24 AM »
I'm currently living there, Maggi....
Rafa, such beautiful flowers, you take my breath away.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »
Stunning flowers and pictures Rafa !!  :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »
Anne.... is the food okay?

Rafa, last night at our Group Meeting we had  David Millward ( Dr Rock) as our speaker ( and a very  good talk it was too) and when he was speaking about Narcissus cantabricus he mentioned "King Rafa, of the Forum" and there was a loud murmur of recognition and appreciation - so there are lots of readers out there enjoying your valuable contribution to the world of narcissus  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »
Gerry, this is the new name for N. x susannae, (N. cantabricus x N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus), the mother is N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus
N. x litigiosus del Amo (N. albicans x N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus) and the mother is also pallidulus. 

This hybrid and N cantabricus are among my all time favourite plants.  I just looked up this "new" name for the hybrid as I thought it was what I have called N x susannae and I found this picture in the wild.  This is a superb shot showing the hybrid alongside the parent.  Hope that's Ok with Rafa to post the link
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/photo233123.htm

It seems to show the hybrid as a lot bigger than N triandrus, is that correct, Rafa or just due to perspective on the photo?
Thanks for this link Diane. And thanks Rafa for a wonderful photo of beautiful plants.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2011, 01:26:30 PM »
Hans:
Sorry my good friend!, This is a mixtake N. muñozii-garmendiae as an hybrid between N. cantabricus and N. triandrus susbp. pallidulus, porbably due not very good comunication between Spanish/Portugues botanist and Bristish botanists.

This name in honour to Prof. Felix Muñoz Garmendia has been used to describe Narcissus pseudonarcissus subsp. muñozii-garmendiae, as an endemic species from Ciudad Real. In my oppinion is not a pseudonarcissus is an endemic asturiensis from this region. This group of asturiensis make many lineages and its difficoult to recognize them. There are some valid characters like perianth tube form and others characters... but there is a geographical distribution, very clear and helpfull in relation with these lineages. The species I support are:

Asturiensis Group
N. asturiensis
N. jacetanus
N. salmanticensis
N. muñozii garmendiae

Tastsuo:
This is one of my interest as a SRGC member, foment our most ornamental species donating seeds, in my oppinion, the only friendly environmental way to introduce the species in our gardens. I enclose a virtual herbarium sheet with both hybrid variants, as I returned all these plants to the wild.

Maggy:

Really?!! hahaha you are joking hahaha. I think I am not worthy of this title, I only use to talk with Narcissus botanist like F. Casas or A. Barra to know the currently studies.

Anne:
There are many different names (in some cases older in other newer), new species every year..., this is Botany. In Narcissus genus there is a Battle and maybe that I told in this forum this year will be not the same next year. Flora Iberica is making a very general key, enough to me..

Gerry:

It is my pleasure  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:29:49 PM by Rafa »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
Rafa - I think your virtual herbarium sheets are just great. More please!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »
I think Narcissus Genus is explained through the hybrids. For example, I consider Narcissus nivalis Graells, as an independient species from N. bulbocodium L. Why? (nobody are agree with me  :-\  ;D) Well, this is because the relantionship between N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus with both species is different. N. nivalis only can donate the female gamets in N. triandrus pallidulus crosses = N. x consolationis and N. bulbocodium only can donate the male gamets in the same cross = N. rozeirae. They only can acting like this.

One of the reassons for consider N. graellsii Graells as a valid species, separate from N. bulbocodium is because it can acting as a father or mother, with pallidulus. Something that N. bulbocodium can't do.

I am trying to find the only place known were N. nivalis and N. cantabricus make crosses to compare with N. bulbocodium and n. cantabricus crosses. I am sure they will acting different.

I only have 3 virtual herbarium sheet because I started last year. In this season I will also try to make N. x ponsii-sorollae, N. x nutans, N. x turgaliensis and N. x lopezii.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:09:26 PM by Rafa »

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »
Some shots from my bulb house.  The narcissus brighten up an otherwise miserable day.

Lots to come
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

ArnoldT

« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2011, 06:03:20 PM »
Here's a better shot of some Narcissus romieuxii
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2011, 07:07:49 PM »
An impressive display Art !  :o
Are you thinking of starting your own bulblog soon ??  ;D ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2011, 07:21:38 PM »
That would require skills I do not possess.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »
A couple of ones from today Atlas Gold Treble Chance one of Rob Pottertons and N Romieuxii which came to me as "ex Fred Hunt" a lovely strong yellow
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:50:44 PM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »
A couple of ones from today Atlas Gold one of Rob Pottertons and N Romieuxii which came to me as "ex Fred Hunt" a lovely strong yellow
Pale one is nice but not Atlas Gold.  Good yellow one looks true.  My original N Atlas Gold came from Rob P - but they looked like the yellow one not the pale one!

Gerry Webster

« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »
I agree with Tony - 'Atlas Gold' is much the same colour as 'Fred Hunt'. Both are nearly out here.

Despite the cold, aphids seem active (in the central flower).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:14:21 PM by Gerry Webster »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal