We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Favourite Pleione  (Read 4564 times)

ThomasB

Favourite Pleione
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:06:40 PM »
Since there is not much going on with the Pleiones (and many other plants as well) in winter I thought it would be interesting to raise the question what your favourite Pleiones are. I don't want to limit this in any way so feel free to post several species or hybrids. It would be nice to have a short explanation though.  :D

With the species I do like Pleione humilis the most because of its early and delicate flowers - I much appreciate white flowers with darker spots or stains.

My favourite hybrids are 'Edgecombe' because of its amazing colours and the silky look and 'Wharfedale' for its bright coloured flowers in the middle of december. One I don't grow yet but like very much from the pictures is 'Tsingtau' - elegance and subtle beauty.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:58:01 PM by ThomasB »
Germany - Middle of Thuringia (Zone 7a)

Darren

Re: Favourite Pleione
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »
My favourite species is yunnanensis, for its sheer elegance, but no longer have it.  :(

I am out of touch with hybrids having not had any new ones for over a decade. Of my old-timers I quite like my clone of 'Eiger', Shantung 'Ducat' is allways reliable.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:19:40 PM »
Oh what a difficult question; nearly impossible to answer. ???

After thinking about this all afternoon I finally decided that if I was only allowed to grow one it would be P. forrestii. The yellow is so intense and the red stands out so well against it. It is just stunning when grown in a group.
But there are others with great qualities. P. limpritchii is another of my favourites. It really is a good species; easy and with good colour. P. grandiflora as a white; irrespective of the depth of the yellow colour on the lip. P. pleionoides for its colour, shape and the height that it flowers.
I could go on, but should leave it there.

Of the hybrids it has to be P. ‘Fuego’ for me. It was my first hybrid and the only one I retain. However, I am waiting for Paul to release ‘Gorilla 1’. It is a stunning white with amazing colour on its lip.

I’m not keen on the orange coloured ones as they just don’t seem right to me. Pleionies are not supposed to be orange. :-\

It's a coincidence that you should ask this question Thomas as I was thinking of asking something similar. Which would have been 'If you could only grow one genus of plants which would it be?' and mine would be Pleione.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:39:18 AM »
Talking about species, I guess my vote would also go to Pl. forrestii, although it gives me problems growing it...  :(

On the hybrid side, Santorini would be very high on the list and the cv "Yellow Wagtail" would be my favourite...  Although, there's many others that I like very much as well (Edgecombe is one of them Thomas, but I don't have it ....yet...).
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Pieter

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »
When it comes to species, I would say that my is P. aurita. I like the overall look of the flower, the shape, the color, ... . The whole works.

My favourite hybrid is a lot more difficult to say, beceause there are so many.  It is probably P. Shantung 'Ducat'. I espescially like the flower shape. It is wide open with the petals and sepals nicely spread out. A good bonus is that it occasionaly can produce a very nice scent. An other one I realy fancy is P. Mawenzi.

Greetings

Pieter   
Pieter
Oedelem, Belgium

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 03:07:05 PM »
I like them all  ;D but only grow Shantung. It's outside in the peat bed under 8 inches of snow. I can hear it now mark, mark, mark
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 01:15:18 AM »
Oh Mark, you are clearly an optimist with lots of courage (or dosh??). Please let us know how they get on. I can hear them from here. Help  hell lp phhh ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:57:56 AM »
My favourites are the real species and natural hybrids. My favourite depends on the particular clone. They are sometimes quite different...still interesting! But if I had to pick a few, it would be P. humilis, P. chunii, P. aurita and the autumn flowering ones.
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

monocotman

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 01:46:25 PM »
A couple more for consideration.
Favourite species - aurita. Beautiful flower and grows more easily than many species for me.
Favourite hybrid - Ueli Wackernagel 'Pearl'. Large flower, well presented, white with a faint blush of purple across all the petals. The lip is basically the same but has a large yellow blotch. Different and very nice. A plant obtained from our guru Paul that even seem to grow fairly easily. A potful is the aim. The first two photos of this grex on the pleione website give a good idea of the flower,

David

http://www.pleione.info/Gallery%20frames%20page.htm
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 02:00:55 PM by Maggi Young »
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »
Maren they came through -11 in January

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »
My favourite is always the one that's just coming into flower.  ;) ;) ;) On this occasion:

Pln Wharfedale 'Pine Warbler', just opening up on a dull winter's day.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »

Hi Mark, can you swap me some of yours, they are obviously a lot hardier than mine. :D

Graham Catlow

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »

Hi Mark, can you swap me some of yours, they are obviously a lot hardier than mine. :D

That's a nice early pleione to brighten the day Maren.
I have had P.formosanum and bulbocodioides unprotected under the snow for a month now. When I have left these out in the past I have covered them with a deep layer of fern leaves topped off with a thatch of Crocosmia leaves to keep some of the winter wet out. But the early snow caught me out this year so I will just have to wait and see what happens when the thaw comes.
Bo'ness. Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 10:13:42 PM »
Here's one or two Maren
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:19:03 PM by mark smyth »

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 08:27:27 AM »
Mark, I can only quote Victor Meldrew: "I do not believe it!!!" :o :o :o

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal